OBS Not Recording Full Videos - Any alternatives?

andrewfaure

Several of the videos I have been recording have the same issue: When I watch back the videos after recording, only about 50 - 75% of the video exists. I know for a fact that I only stopped the recording after I had finished it, and there was NO indication that the recoding had stopped prematurely. After Googling the issue, it seems that a LOT of people have the same problem, with no solutions (ongoing for years now). This is something wrong with OBS that doesn't seem to have been fixed for years, and I cannot keep taking the risk that my videos are not recording completely, and I only discover afterwards. It is very time consuming, time wasting and often I am not able to replicate what I originally recorded so it's completely lost.

Does anyone have advice on a good screen recording software similar to OBS , but that actually works the way it's supposed it? I don't need to stream or even record my webcam. I literally just need to record my screen for 1) Tutorial videos and 2) Gameplay

Thanks for any advice on good screen recorders! :-)

Kraezy

Just to double check, you haven't by mistake enabled the output timer?

Tools > Output Timer

Uncheck "Enable recording timer every time.." if it's ticked.

Failing that, post a log (instructions how in my signature)

andrewfaure

Hi Kraezy,

thanks for your reply. My "last log" did not give trouble, but I found one of those that did give issues and attached it to this post.

The output timer was not checked. It is also random. Some videos record all the way through, but with about 7/10 of them the recordings cut out part way through the video. In terms of the log I attached, that video should have been about 1 minute longer than it turned out to. But how much gets cuts off is also random. Some videos lose more then others.

One of my longer videos not only cut out before the end, but the visuals that did record repeatedly froze for up to a minute at a time, so even the recorded but is totally useless to me :-(

Any advice you could offer would be helpful, as I really did want OBS to work for me. But I'm gong to start looking around at other products out there as I'm a bit weary of taking a chance with OBS again.

Attachments

• 2021-05-10 18-52-49.txt
    14.8 KB · Views: 21

qhobbes

0. If recording gameplay, be aware that your Laptop has two GPUs. OBS is running on the weak integrated Intel GPU. For better performance as well as game capture being available you should run OBS on the dedicated GPU. Check the Laptop Troubleshooting Guide.
1. To ensure that OBS Studio has the hardware resources it needs for real time streaming and recording, we recommend disabling the "Game DVR Background Recording" feature via these instructions.
2. Audio buffering hit the maximum value. This is an indicator of very high system load, will affect stream latency, and may even cause individual audio sources to stop working. Keep an eye on CPU usage especially, and close background programs if needed.

Occasionally, this can be caused by incorrect device timestamps. Restart OBS as Admin (#3) to reset buffering.

Source affected (potential cause): Microphone
3. Run OBS as Admin. Right click on shortcut, properties, advanced, check box, ok, apply, ok.
4. Display Capture is the last resort. Build you scene with Game/Window/Video Device Capture etc.
5. Your log contains no recording session. Results of this log analysis are limited. Please post a link to a clean log file.
To make a clean log file, please follow these steps:

1) Restart OBS as Admin.
2) Start your recording for at least 30 seconds. Make sure you replicate any issues as best you can, which means having any games/apps open and captured, etc.
3) Stop your recording.
4) Select Help > Log Files > Upload Current Log File. Send that link here.