Question / Help OBS + NDI causing 50% cpu and gpu usage when idle

PracticeAcc0unt

That looks better:

18:14:14.774: Switched to scene 'Scene'
18:14:14.774: ------------------------------------------------
18:14:14.774: Loaded scenes:
18:14:14.774: - scene 'Scene':
18:14:14.774: - source: 'Game Capture' (game_capture)
18:14:14.774: ------------------------------------------------

One scene, one source, nothing else. That looks like a fresh install.
Correct, all I added was a game capture just to have an active source. However I am still having the 20% cpu usage and 40% gpu usage by OBS while its just idle.

PracticeAcc0unt

That does seem high, but with an empty scene collection I don't see how OBS could be doing it.

Anything from this list running?

https://obsproject.com/wiki/Known-Conflicts
I do have Afterburner running however I have always ran it and have never ran into this issue however I will give it a try and let you know. I also have the MSI 1060 6gb however I am unsure if I have Nahimic running or even where I would see this process if it was running. Iv'e already checked both open process and the resource monitors and didn't see it.

mr6p

i have a similar issue. turning on NDI uses 10% more CPU. I am using two pc setup so i can do the streaming on the second pc. but adding NDI actually uses more CPU. https://obsproject.com/logs/O_Q2nRCl1qLk-QeX
Please don't ask me to remove some of the sources and just leave the Scene empty. this is not a fix. its a workaround. If there are actually settings or setup issues that you see in my log files. Please tell me and i will fix it. but removing sources is not a fix. Without NDI i use less CPU with my current setup than with NDI.

Narcogen

NDI is not free, and does not use hardware accelerated compression, so its encoding/decoding use CPU. Not a whole lot, but some.

NDI load is constant when OBS is running, just like rendering load is. That load is the same whether OBS is encoding or not, so there's no "idle"
in this sense. NDI load doesn't increase when you start encoding, it's only dependent on frame content.

If using NDI on the machine is more load than encoding load, don't use it. A capture card would shift the load you want to move without incurring much extra. Using NDI is good for spreading rendering load (so that OBS scene rendering on the game machine is simple, and on the streaming machine is more complicated) or moving frames from a gaming machine without a strong encoder (like a pre-Turing or older Nvidia card, or an AMD card) to a streaming machine with a strong encoder (like a Turing Nvidia card, like the 1660.)

You have a 1660 and an i7 9700. Is there any reason you're not using a single PC setup? If this is the streaming PC, what is the gaming PC setup?

mr6p

when i try to stream call of duty modern warfare it kills my pc. everything lags when i stream. i have the set most of the stuff to low to use as less cpu as i can. i tought if i use another pc for streaming and use NDI it would help. with extra pc it seems like the stream dosent lag anymore. but my cpu is at 100% and the fans are going crazy. i am worried about the cpu life if i run it at 100% constant. my streaming pc is not as power full as my gaming pc. so it is not able to ran my obs with all the sources. so i am only usng it for as the decoder.

mr6p

when i try to stream call of duty modern warfare it kills my pc. everything lags when i stream. i have the set most of the stuff to low to use as less cpu as i can. i tought if i use another pc for streaming and use NDI it would help. with extra pc it seems like the stream dosent lag anymore. but my cpu is at 100% and the fans are going crazy. i am worried about the cpu life if i run it at 100% constant. my streaming pc is not as power full as my gaming pc. so it is not able to ran my obs with all the sources. so i am only usng it for as the decoder.
this is my gaming pc not the streaming one. the streaming one is a collection of all of my old pc parts. First Gen i7 cpu 8 gig of ram and gtx 960 nvidia. the same setup of OBS uses 70% of cpu power compared to my gaming only 20%
Bt the way, thank you for your response.