OBS making loud noise when recording on a 2020 MacBook Pro

Yoga Girl

I had no problem with OBS making noise on my old 2006 MacBook Pro. The noise sounds like a lot of static. The first two weeks, May 1-15, 2021, I had not noise problems during recordings. Now I get a loud back ground noise like static. The computer also gets very hot. I have 16 MB RAM, the best processor and am using my iPhone 12 Pro camera with Camo Studio. I also use RODE Go wireless microphone. I would appreciate any help.

OBSkenobi

I believe I'm having the same problem, with no tracks checked at all. The audio capture channel, and mic #2 with 'Monitor Off'... and just mic #1 with 'Monitor Only'... there's a self hissing static sound every other second and at the same time the meter flashes green up almost into the yellow. I can switch to 'Monitor Off', but it's still going on, because you can see the green flash. I made a screen movie via Quicktime. I would have uploaded it, but .mov files are not supported here. I'm thought maybe it wasn't compatible with my Apogee Duet 2, but apparently I'm not the only one with this issue.

Yoga Girl

I am getting the noise using the RODE go wireless microphone and in using the microphone in the MacBook Pro. The computer is actually making the noise; you can hear it if you put your ear near the hing. It is also getting hot. When OBS is off, the noise and heat stop. This just started the end of May. Nice to hear I am not the only one having the problem. Looking for solution ASAP

OBSkenobi

Hi Yoga Girl, yes the computer's audio has a static hiccup with OBS. I've got a mid 2010 mac mini and I don't have any static with
any other audio related software. Audacity (open source) is behaving very well. I wasn't planning to stream, just record
video. Video editing isn't all that important to me, was just looking for a simple Quick-time type of app where I could use
.au and .vst plug-ins to enhance some guitar videos. At this point, I'm looking into some A/V recording alternatives. May have found
some solutions with patching software. That way I could patch virtual inputs into other apps like Quick-time. That way, Quick-time wouldn't even need any plug-in support.

Yoga Girl

Your technical knowledge is way above mine. The problem with Quick-time is that it uses the facebook camera which is not as good as the iPhone 12 Pro. I want to use a better camera. I am editing my yoga videos using iMovie. If you find a reasonable alternative, please let me know.

OBSkenobi

Hi Yoga Girl, I can relate. My cell phone camera was much better than my webcam. Good news is you can use your iPhone 12 Pro as a
webcam on your Macbook with an app called "Iriun webcam app", that's what I use and it works great. There's also "Droidcam". I have an
Android phone, but I imagine they make an iOS version. If not, I'd search for an app specific to iOS with keywords like "webcam apps for mac"

OBSkenobi

Yep, they do make an iOS version. Anyone out there who has a cell phone (irrespective of what kind) can use it as a webcam for
either desktop or laptop.

JP_NZ

I had no problem with OBS making noise on my old 2006 MacBook Pro. The noise sounds like a lot of static. The first two weeks, May 1-15, 2021, I had not noise problems during recordings. Now I get a loud back ground noise like static. The computer also gets very hot. I have 16 MB RAM, the best processor and am using my iPhone 12 Pro camera with Camo Studio. I also use RODE Go wireless microphone. I would appreciate any help.

I'm having a similar problem since upgrading to OBS 27 as well. Previously I'd done recording tests of my stream without problems. Mostly, the audio is okay, but there's a background crackling noise that's present now. I've tested different mics, removed the audio SWB software and reinstalled, tested with and without.

The recording from the stream on YouTube is perfect, so it's not a hardware / mic problem, but the local recording to the macbook has this static like noise, so it has to be in the OBS output somehow. The previous version of OBS did not seem to suffer from this issue when I did a recording test.

Has anyone else encountered this, and more importantly, has anyone found a solution?

I'm using a Rode NT-USB studio mic.

What's up with the OBS recording of audio in v27?

OBSkenobi

I'm having a similar problem since upgrading to OBS 27 as well. Previously I'd done recording tests of my stream without problems. Mostly, the audio is okay, but there's a background crackling noise that's present now. I've tested different mics, removed the audio SWB software and reinstalled, tested with and without.

The recording from the stream on YouTube is perfect, so it's not a hardware / mic problem, but the local recording to the macbook has this static like noise, so it has to be in the OBS output somehow. The previous version of OBS did not seem to suffer from this issue when I did a recording test.

Has anyone else encountered this, and more importantly, has anyone found a solution?

I'm using a Rode NT-USB studio mic.

What's up with the OBS recording of audio in v27?

Hi JP,

Yes, I've had this issue as well and will wait for the developers to resolve it. My main concern with video is its audio.
And that is why I looked to OBS instead of using Quicktime in the first place. My solution is to go back to using
Quicktime, and instead look to use a VAC (virtual audio cable), that way I can pipe in all my favorite au's and vst filters
into the video's audio. That's what I'm looking to do in my case. After the video is recorded, then I could go
back into OBS and touch it up further. I believe with a VAC you could also connect it to a streaming app, if
that's what you're looking to do. There are a few of them out there for the mac. A free one was made recently by
ginger audio called groundcontrol if you prefer free. It's a good choice, but not the only choice. Best to research it
and find what works best for you.

JP_NZ

Hi JP,

Yes, I've had this issue as well and will wait for the developers to resolve it. My main concern with video is its audio.
And that is why I looked to OBS instead of using Quicktime in the first place. My solution is to go back to using
Quicktime, and instead look to use a VAC (virtual audio cable), that way I can pipe in all my favorite au's and vst filters
into the video's audio. That's what I'm looking to do in my case. After the video is recorded, then I could go
back into OBS and touch it up further. I believe with a VAC you could also connect it to a streaming app, if
that's what you're looking to do. There are a few of them out there for the mac. A free one was made recently by
ginger audio called groundcontrol if you prefer free. It's a good choice, but not the only choice. Best to research it
and find what works best for you.

Hi,

I've got SWB Audio Capture as my virtual audio cable which works fine. It's extremely annoying (the latest upgrade today hasn't fixed this), as I need to use OBS for the scene overlay setups for recording webinars etc.

I'm going to try two work arounds - 1. Streaming out to YouTube on a private stream key, then just downloading the YouTube video to subsequently edit. Not efficient if there are bandwidth or delay issues on the stream of course. 2. Recording the zoom audio in parallel and replacing the OBS audio tracks in Davinci Resolve later on, to replace the crackly audio with good audio. A bucketload of unnecessary extra work though to just get a good quality audio recording.

Very keen to find out why OBS has started doing this. v26 audio was perfect on the local record so I'm mystified as to why it's started doing this.

It's not the fault of the SWB Audio Capture, as even a straight record now from a single scene from my Rode mic has crackling on the audio when recorded using OBS, but no other software, and not when it's recorded to YouTube as a stream. Very weird.

OBSkenobi

Hi,

I've got SWB Audio Capture as my virtual audio cable which works fine. It's extremely annoying (the latest upgrade today hasn't fixed this), as I need to use OBS for the scene overlay setups for recording webinars etc.

I'm going to try two work arounds - 1. Streaming out to YouTube on a private stream key, then just downloading the YouTube video to subsequently edit. Not efficient if there are bandwidth or delay issues on the stream of course. 2. Recording the zoom audio in parallel and replacing the OBS audio tracks in Davinci Resolve later on, to replace the crackly audio with good audio. A bucketload of unnecessary extra work though to just get a good quality audio recording.

Very keen to find out why OBS has started doing this. v26 audio was perfect on the local record so I'm mystified as to why it's started doing this.

It's not the fault of the SWB Audio Capture, as even a straight record now from a single scene from my Rode mic has crackling on the audio when recorded using OBS, but no other software, and not when it's recorded to YouTube as a stream. Very weird.

Hi, I'm not familiar with SWB audio capture, but will look at it. Looking to maybe buy soon Audio Hijack & Loopback from rogueameoba. Just trying out their trial versions so far, but I like their stuff. AH is great, no audio problems.

Carl Ferguson

1633633317429.png

OBS recordings on this macbook pro with NO audio input records white noise. Same configuration recorded on Zoom has no white noise.

The macbook pro below, same setting produces no white noise.
1633633512865.png