OBS Makes internet disconnect

Lentuz

I really hope i can get some feedback on this issue.

I have been streaming for a couple of month, and since then I have been getting disconnection on my internet connection multiple times a day. I have talked with my internet provider several times, and they do not see any issue on the line, so they send me a new router, as the former one might have a defect, also with new cables. Using the new one actually made the issue worse, as i often can not stream more than an hour, before the internet disconnects. I have an add on installed on chrome, so i have a constant log over my connection and ping, and it often seems like 90 % of the issues happen, when i use OBS to stream.

The strange thing is, that the router does not seem to lose connection, as all the lights are flashing as normal. I have also made the connection test to Twitch servers, and i have received 100 % quality to many of those near me, and internet speed test show good up/down speed.

I have now deleted my North on antivirus software and downscaled the stream resolution down to 720p at 48 fps, and made a new rule for OBS port in my firewall, but non of it makes any difference.

Safe to say i am a bit frustrated, so any advice on how to proceed is much appreciated.

Attachments

• 2024-05-22 18-37-48.txt
    141.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 2024-05-22 18-02-21.txt
    120.2 KB · Views: 8

BlanderStrudel

I've had this problem for YEARS now. For the most part the internet disconnections happened less often when I upgraded all my PC parts but as I kept on adding more USB devices and more sources to my scenes, the disconnections happen very often now, every stream. Before it was just like just once a month.

After many many hours investigating, I suspect the problem is related to power management. I suspect Windows 10 doesn't provide the ethernet adapter enough power and this causes the disconnection. In my case, I tested the on-board adapter and a USB adapter I bought, separately. On the other hand, I cannot completely rule out the problem being caused by something related to network instead of power since the internet disconnection only occurs when streaming, never when recording.

I've read many people asking for help with this problem but none of the solutions I've read have worked for me. I hope some one here knows what's going on.

Lawrence_SoCal

OBS Studio can not make Internet disconnect (technically) ... that is not a thing.. period
There are a couple of things... stream upload can be interrupted and that does NOT mean Internet is disconnected... completely different things.
As an example, Internet appeared down at my house (Cox cable modem service) ... with a little troubleshooting, I realized Internet was fine, it was Cos's DNS servers that stopped responding... which obviously makes Internet appear to be offline [I'll skip the whole basic lesson on Internet, TCP/IP, DNS, routing protocols, etc]... the point being is that one must be careful in attributing 'result' if you don't technically understand the situation, as it can mislead those trying to help you

If you are having network issues, you should be doing real-time networking monitoring at 'router' [LAN/WAN interface]. Assuming not using WiFi, you don't need real-time metrics on that wireless spectrum, and the WAN link will tell you about traffic usage from WiFi clients. IF you do NOT do such monitoring, it is very difficult to troubleshoot. period.

A known 3rd party plugin which is highly correlated with network time out issues was streamelements (can't say if crappy code, poor documentation and poor user implementation, or what).. [see your log and all those errors... not good]
Also, things like highly questionable 'network optimizations', on things like Killer Network driver is known to have caused issues. I had network security software (corporate workstation) that interfered with streaming traffic... LOTS of possibilities

Adding USB devices can lead to USB Root Hub overload (see threads on that issue, ex https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/camera-limit-3-work-fine-4th-has-problems.78827/

As for intermittent issues... first thing to is analyze your available network upload bandwidth (not a speed test, as that shows optimistic high value, as you are looking for the low threshold... ie minimum sustained) over time. Many ISPs having fluctuating network bandwidth availability, and some connection types (ex. cellular) are WAY more variable than others. Even cable modem network can have contention issues at different timed.