Bug Report OBS keeps resizing video capture source randomly

Justin Z

As per the thread title, every time I open OBS there is a maybe 30-35% chance that my Elgato video source will have either expanded to ridiculous proportions (it's currently sized at 3034.6309 x 1695.0889 on a 1920x1080 canvas) or shrunk to some silly size like 500x300. There is no particular rhyme or reason to it. It always requires me to manually fix it, because I stream 4:3 retro consoles through the Elgato, so I have to hand trim the box to not have black bars on the sides. Happens even though the source itself is locked on every single scene.

Windows 64-bit 24.0.3. It's utterly baffling. Any ideas? For what it's worth, I forgot to generate a log file before quitting OBS, and when I reopened it in order to do so, it re-sized to the correct size. Like I said, no rhyme or reason.

carlmmii

I would try removing the source and re-adding it. There may have been something that got corrupted with the .json, and it's not behaving correctly between when the scene loads and when the capture card detects its signal.

If that doesn't work, try adding a filter on the source to rescale it to 1280x720. That should prevent any source sizes from the capture card itself from changing how it is displayed in-scene. You can perform the normal resizing/cropping from this point.

Xurenji

Hello I actually have the same problem and have tried everything from uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for the camera before re-adding it as a capture device. Worked for a day, when I loaded up again today bam it resized down it. I noticed once, I resized it on my 1440 monitor, dragged it across to the 1080 monitor and the source was fin there, so i closed it out there. Went to reopen, and it resized it in the 1080 monitor. When I dragged it back across to the 1440 it fixed itself to normal just fine. Even open and closed it just fine for that one evening. And that only happened once and have been trying all morning to retry it to see but no luck. Have to manually override it daily. There's also a thing where it'll show my cam with black borders, so then I would have to alt drag the edges in to look right. Only having to resize the next day back to normal, where I have to un shift drag the edges. lol I don't mind it too much, but it's definitely an inconvenience and slows down my workflow considerably. I've had multiple on air delayed streams because I had to resize it on the spot. No fun. Any more info would be awesome Thanks!
I use an m50 with the canon utility tool. I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Added and re-added. Created a fresh scene and still same the next time I re-open obs.

LinuxBrickie

New to OBS but this has been happening all the time to me. I'm using Linux (Fedora 37) and the OBS version is 29.0.2. Camera is a logitech USB camera (Webcam Pro 9000).

I can add that the resizing very often gets reversed later but annoyingly only after I've manually changed things back to the correct size.

In other words the sequence is
1. Create scene with video capture window
2. Restart OBS at some later time
3. All video capture windows (and only video capture windows) have shrunk dramatically.
4. Manually fix them by enlarging them again.
5. Restart OBS at some later time
6. All video capture windows (and only video capture windows) have enlarged dramatically.

LinuxBrickie

Also, whilst playing around, I've just noticed that I can get the capture windows back to their correct size by changing the resolution property. It was at "Leave Unchanged" when they were the wrong size. Can't remember if that's how I left it, pretty sure I'd set a specific resolution so maybe that's the bug. The JSON config file had -1 in it so *if* I did manually set a resolution then it wasn't saved (or got overwritten by a later unrelated change).