Kwignition

For begin - i don't want to hear advice like - "switch to mesa drivers", because i tried. Even on Mesa driver, it's not as "hard", but still present as a massive problem.
Whenever i run OBS even it's preview (without recording) make my entire desktop framerate drop to 20. On AMDGPU PRO drivers it's 20 and on Mesa drivers it's around 30, which is STILL absolutely unplayable if i want to record a game.
And that's not depend on which encoder i choose, matter of fact - xshm screen-capturing itself make my framerate unbearable, i can not even press record, just start OBS, witness preview, switch to a game and see 20 fps with heavy input lags.
Meanwhile, i have no problems in games (running even above 100 fps with good stability), no problem with desktop (KDE, effects, anything is smooth) and no problem with working (for what i need amdgpu pro obviously)
but screencasting is a disaster! Even if i use kazam/simplescreenrecorder, no matter what, any attemp to capture the screen makes desktop barely usable.
i had this problem on devuan, i have this problem now on ubuntu 20.04.
CPU is FX8350 and GPU is RX570, driver version amdgpu pro 21.50.
I need help, because rarely, but i need screencasting, and this feature seem to be absolutely crippled. It's kinda unprofessional to switch entire system just to record small video.

Tuna

It _is_ an old CPU. Apart from that, post a log from such a capture session. I can tell from my own setup that a 570 is more than enough. You should consider upgrading to Ubuntu 22.04 and running a Wayland session. There are new window and screen capture methods that are more optimized for performance because of buffer sharing.

Last edited:

Kwignition

It _is_ an old CPU. Apart from that, post loag from such a capture session. I can tell from my own setup that a 570 is more than enough. You should consider upgrading to Ubuntu 22.04 and running a Wayland session. There are new window and screen capture methods that are more optimized for performance because of buffer sharing.
CPU that handles new games and heavy programs - too old for screencast? xD sounds like nonsense, peoples probably never screencasted at 2012-2013-2014 and etc with such logic. That software is broken to work with hardware doesn't mean its fault of hardware. avaiable solutions to screencast in linux seem to be problematic on certain machines. So i'm trying to figure out possible API's or plugins to make this all work (like maybe compile things by my own, try to change configs/environment/compositors and etc)