Bug Report "OBS has stopped working" error seconds after launching

keyglyph

Hi OBS forum,

My OBS is suddenly throwing a "stopped working" message moments after every launch. I've never had this problem before and thought it might have been because I was putting off the latest update (I know, shame on me), but even after installing the most current version, it keeps happening.

I did just install an Elgato HD a few nights ago, and I'd tested it a few times in OBS without issues. I've tried launching OBS with the Elgato connected as well as disconnected just to cover my bases. I've also restarted my computer, added exceptions to my antivirus, and so on.

I can't keep OBS open long enough to poke around in the program.

I'm attaching the crash report here, as well as two separate error logs from today (one from OBS 22.0.2, the other after I updated to 23.1.0). Thank you so much to anyone who can help.

Attachments

• Crash 2019-05-12 17-08-23.txt
    121.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 2019-05-12 15-36-51.txt
    8.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 2019-05-12 17-14-41.txt
    8.3 KB · Views: 16

keyglyph

Try updating your Elgato drivers, as the crash seems to be in there according to the log.
Hi R1CH, and thanks so much for the speedy reply.

I reinstalled the drivers, but there was no change. I did, however, uninstall the Elgato Game Capture program to see if OBS would launch with it gone, and it does. So it's definitely an issue stemming from the Elgato, just as you pinpointed.

Their support desk is working with me right now too. They've had me install a different version of Game Capture HD (3.20.5 instead of 3.20.33), but the OBS freezing and "stopped working" issue continues. I've also removed the Elgato drivers that aren't applicable to my device just in case that was causing some kind of conflict, but... no dice.

I'll take any suggestions if anyone has further thoughts. I was gearing up to stream Apple IIe games and software, and I'm trying to stay optimistic... D:

keyglyph

Hi all,

Weighing back in to say that my problems are solved for now! Elgato Support suggested I turn the Windows aero theme back on (I've had it disabled for years), and as soon as I did that, OBS stopped crashing at launch with the Game Capture software installed.

I don't know if that's a common-knowledge fix, but if it's not... may this thread help someone else in the future.

Thanks again, R1CH, for helping me confirm that the problem was with the Elgato. You pointed me in the right direction very quickly, and I am very grateful. You saved me a great deal of time and testing.