Question / Help OBS Dropping MASSIVE frames all of a sudden

FrankyPro

So I'm very new to OBS and recording in general, but I got OBS Studio a few months ago, and watched some videos and talked with friends and they helped me set up good settings.

I was recording REALLY high quality good footage for a while, at 40k bitrate! (Which I only recently found out was very high)

A couple weeks ago, I started recording some overwatch and noticed in the recording that I was dropping MASSIVE frames, especially at parts where lots was going on. Now, I didn't change ANY settings and the ONLY thing that happened since then, was my hard drive started to fill up. (both of them). I made plenty of space on them, but I'm still having the same problem, but worse. I changed my in game settings to medium on MULTIPLE games and changed to 16k 12k and even 10k bitrate, 30 fps, and was still having problems. I defragged my computer too, and I THOUGHT the problem was solved at 16k bitrate, but I went back and noticed that I am still having the issue.

https://gist.github.com/d3c501abc22b823deb64d699c2cf84c1 I think this is my most recent log?

There could be something I STUPIDLY changed by accident or something, (again, really not sure how most of this works) but I would appreciate the help!

OH and in GAME I don't really have problems... I sometimes have quick 2 second freezes once every like hour or so but the lag only occurs in recordings

Last edited:
dont use CBR for recording, switch to CRF=23
enable vsync in game
i strongly recommend enabling your intel HD in bios and using quicksync icq=23, you will free cpu power this way

FrankyPro

What's the difference between CBR and CRF=23?

Also Ok, I can enable Vsync. But any ideas WHY this all of a sudden happened?

And are there any downsides to enabling my intel HD in bios and using quicksync icq=23? (haha again i'll figuer out HOW to do this stuff just no idea how it woks and why)

these are data control methods for encoder, cbr spams same amount of data every second no matter whats on the screen, not very good for recording. crf tries to keep same level of quality depending whats on the screen and adapts bitrate smart way.

you always need vsync, but some games may record better or worse without it

no downsides, encoding will be done by intel gpu freeing cpu load. https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-use-quicksync.82/
some1 could argue x264 always has best quality but diff is nearly nonexistent unless you are fanatic and analyse image quality with magnifying glass. qs may result in slightly bigger files

when you enable it, win10 will probably install some old driver automatically. run DDU in safe mode after, clean intel and install latest stable from intel site. installing new over old without ddu will 99% lock you in crash loop

Last edited:

FrankyPro

I don't think i have intel HD. I thought that was for laptops. And my encoding options doesn't have a quicksync option.

I just enabled vsync and turned it to CRF 23. I'll try this and see if it works

I've been told I should maybe use OBS instead? Since I don't really NEED studio?

goge

I have the G780 Lenovo and I want to record some overwatch content for my youtube channel.https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt7fZPKQsMpFis81ts6L73QSome computer specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3632QM CPU @2.20GHz 2.20 GHz

Ram: 8gb

64 bit operating system

I've tried this guide but it didn't work: https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-make-high-quality-local-recordings.16/

Though my in game FPS is stable and around 60, the FPS of my recording is pretty shitty and it lags idk what to do, does anyone have optimal OBS settings that I can use? Thanks, it would be greatly appreciate :)

Last edited:

FrankyPro

Hey so I turned on vsync and changed my recording settings to cfr and I THINK it helped, but using less CPU power i'm sure would also help! I found the option in my BIOS to turn on quick sync (Multi monitor or whatever. Speaking of, why is it called multi monitor? haha)

But befoer I change it I wanted to make sure I do it right. After I enable that, I can set my primary (graphics device? I think?) to something. It is currently on Auto, but my fiend said i might want to set it to PCIE? Any suggestion on that? does it matter?

Thanks again in advance man for helping me with this!

yea pcie will tell bios to boot straight on gtx960, but auto should work also. afaik it doesnt matter really if you have only one monitor on nvidia card

goge

Here are my OBS settings that I'm currently running with quick sync. Could you please help me fix it? I've attached some screenshots... Sorry I'm really new to OBS and I don't really understand how the settings work.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    22.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    18.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    30.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 4.PNG
    4.PNG
    24 KB · Views: 33
this is studio forum, not classic
use lanczos scaler in video options
you may need to keep process priority on above normal in adv tab

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 3.png
    3.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 4.png
    4.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

FrankyPro

So update to my original problem XD : I tried your suggestions Mrroczny_Gustaw and they seemed to have worked I think..? I didn't notice much of a difference in my CPU when recording at CRF 23 vs enabling quick sync and using that (icq 23). You'd suggest using Icq=23 though and quick sync? Any downsides? What IS Icq=23? I know CRF is using bitrate based on how much you NEED to use at the time rather than a constant bitrrate, but what is icq?

The only difference I did notice in the recording was that I may have gotten a smoother frame rate at high demanding areas in the game using quick sync and icq=23

My settings I'm using for that are:

Target usage: Balanced
Profile: Main
Keyframe interval: 3
Async Depth: 4
Rate Control: ICQ
ICQ Quality: 23

everything look ok?

Attachments

• Screenshot (28).png
    Screenshot (28).png
    626.3 KB · Views: 27
make it:
Target usage: quality
Profile: high
Keyframe interval: 2

icq in qsv is basically the same as crf in x264

The only difference I did notice in the recording was that I may have gotten a smoother frame rate at high demanding areas in the game using quick sync and icq=23

yep because cpu dont have to do encoding now

23 is default value, a good compromise between quality and filezise, range is 1-50. 50 is worst. you can experiment, but its not worth imho

Last edited: