Question / Help OBS Dropping frames and cpu usage is low

thePHENOM

Hello,

I can't seem to get obs settings right to where the FPS while recording or streaming doesn't drop. OBS will be at a 60 fps but once I click in the game window it will drop fps to somewhere in the 50's and sometimes below that. Tried a couple different profile settings like main and high and cpu presets as well.. I even limited my games to 60 fps cap and still obs drops frames. My game runs perfecting smooth only obs is dropping frames. I am running a duel monitor setup with a Asus Rog 4k Swift PG27UQ as my main and a 1080p BenQ as my second monitor. I just got this new rig and am not sure why this is happening. It is a pretty beast rig I think. Thanks for any help!

Link to OBS log File https://obsproject.com/logs/lZUIt3-b1JxtQU2Q

PC Specs:
Intel Core i9-9900k CPU @ 3.60GHz
32 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 TI

Code:
Output 'adv_file_output': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 141 (0.2%)
Either your CPU or GPU is maxing out. Enable v-sync and cap your framerate at 60 to see if it helps. It is easy to turn those options off if they are not helpful.

thePHENOM

Code:
Output 'adv_file_output': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 141 (0.2%)
Either your CPU or GPU is maxing out. Enable v-sync and cap your framerate at 60 to see if it helps. It is easy to turn those options off if they are not helpful.

I have V-synce enabled and framerate capped in the game at 60. Thanks for helping though.

carlmmii

What refresh rate are you running your monitors at? And do you have g-sync enabled or disabled?

OK, I will bite at this one since I have never heard of that advice before, anywhere. Why would we disable G-Sync so long as our framerate is above whatever we're recording at? I have the same issue and I too have G-Sync, but I am recording at 1440p30, and the lowest framerate I get is 52fps. So why on earth would disabling G-Sync help me there? Serious question, not trying to be a butt!

*EDIT*

OK, I did some searching and came up with nothing, until I searched for "obs g-sync recording", and got plenty of info, some from this forum. The sad part is that it dates back to 2016 and is yet to be fixed. However, this is an open-source project and I do not believe any part of the G-Sync tech is open for viewing. That said, this is becoming a major issue for people using OBS. ShadowPlay does not have an issue with G-Sync, so I know this can be fixed. The question is how? Either way, this is clearly an OBS issue which I expect to become more widespread now that G-Sync is beginning to support FreeSync monitors. Something needs to be done, it's been three years since this became a problem, maybe longer.

Last edited: