OBS disconnecting from internet

Assassins_Afjol

Hello,

Hope you guys are well.

So every time I stream I always come across the same issue within 1-3 hours within my stream. My pc loses connection to the internet entirely and whenever I do a troubleshoot it says “The Default gateway is not available” and “The Ethernet cable is not properly plugged in or might be broken” but whenever I restart my pc the internet is up and running again and shows it’s connected. I use the pc daily when not streaming and have no problem.

My broadband directly connected to my PS4 and my PC. I only lose connection to PC but not the PS4. I have 74-80Mb download and 18MB upload. I don’t lag or anything on my PS4 when my pc and stream disconnects from the internet.

What could be the route to this issue as its really starting to bug me?

Thanks in advance to all yo

Lawrence_SoCal

When you say direct connected, hopefully you don't mean broadband modem with 2 ethernet connections that you 2 devices are plugged in... that would be REALLY bad for 99.9999% of folks (only good for security researchers with honey pot intentionally trying to get hacked)

As noted above, OBS won't reconfigure or disconnect your LAN connection. Now, OBS usage could drive PC beyond its capacity and any computer, driven by an app to 100% utilization of various resources (CPU, RAM, GPU, disk, etc) can become unstable
And most consumer routers, like most game code, is buggy pile of dung.

When you lose 'internet', does your PC still receive signal from PS4? if yes, LAN and your PC is likely ok
You could have malware impacting OBS PC's DNS or similar, but not all that likely. more likely, something on your OS (NOT OBS) or router.
What you your router logs indicate when disconnect happens? What does your OS System logs indicate during that timeframe?

Assassins_Afjol

When you say direct connected, hopefully you don't mean broadband modem with 2 ethernet connections that you 2 devices are plugged in... that would be REALLY bad for 99.9999% of folks (only good for security researchers with honey pot intentionally trying to get hacked)

As noted above, OBS won't reconfigure or disconnect your LAN connection. Now, OBS usage could drive PC beyond its capacity and any computer, driven by an app to 100% utilization of various resources (CPU, RAM, GPU, disk, etc) can become unstable
And most consumer routers, like most game code, is buggy pile of dung.

When you lose 'internet', does your PC still receive signal from PS4? if yes, LAN and your PC is likely ok
You could have malware impacting OBS PC's DNS or similar, but not all that likely. more likely, something on your OS (NOT OBS) or router.
What you your router logs indicate when disconnect happens? What does your OS System logs indicate during that timeframe?

Its soo weird bro. My pc loses connection entirely and sometimes reconnects back and most times it just disconnects and the only way to have it working again is by restarting the pc. I do use Bitdefender Total Security So could that have anything to do with it? I do have a good spec pc and Obs only uses 18%-25% so there's still a lot of room. My PS4 is still connected without any problem nor do i get a lag when my pc disconnects from the internet.

" What you your router logs indicate when disconnect happens? What does your OS System logs indicate during that timeframe?" How could i find this and send it to you?

Assassins_Afjol

Yeh i've done all that and all seems normal. I found a video and flushed the dns and stuff. I will do a test stream again to see if the issue still remains

Ghrubo

i have the same problem, but i use a switch and some NDI sources. i tested on diferents PC and it happends to all.
im going to buy a new switch and post here if its solve.

Lawrence_SoCal

Its soo weird bro. My pc loses connection entirely and sometimes reconnects back and most times it just disconnects and the only way to have it working again is by restarting the pc. I do use Bitdefender Total Security So could that have anything to do with it? I do have a good spec pc and Obs only uses 18%-25% so there's still a lot of room.

could be Bitdefender.. or any number of other things. but a misconfigured (for your streaming use case) security software can absolutely cause havoc if BitDefender trying to inspect packets and configured to block network traffic if it can't inspect... or something like that.

livestreaming is jitter sensitive, so any number of items (security s/w, disk drive latency, etc can cause issues... just depends)

Assassins_Afjol

Hey, Sorry for the late update. I have manage to sort it out. It was my anti-virus Bitdefender which was causing the issue. The firewall was on dynamic which was the problem. All fixed :)

rafalfaro

Hi I fixed it by setting up static ip and DNS addresses in my streaming PC. Apparently some crazy configuration in my setup with 2 network interfaces creates a conflict and disconnects me from the internet. In essence I use 2 network interfaces I game with the ethernet interface but I send OBS's traffic via Wifi to another computer (this is private traffic via Wifi) and at some point when I start streaming for some reason created a conflict.

1 - Streaming PC with OBS (Set up static ip address and DNS first DNS is gateway, second and third DNS use google's ).
2 - Streaming PC is connected via Ethernet to "unlimited download network that doesn't have great upload speed".
3 - Streaming PC is connected via wifi adapter to a seconday network which is the mobile hotspot of a phone with awesome upload speed because of LTE and "unlimited upload data".
4 - Streaming PC runs OBS and in the preferences advanced network is set up to bind to a specific adapter (whi is the wifi adapter that's connected to the hotspot)
5 - Because windows gives priority to ethernet you will only use the network that you're plugged in via ethernet to download.
6 - Connect another computer to the hostspot, make sure it doesn't anything open that will cost you download traffic.
7 - Connect start a restream docker container in that computer: https://github.com/rafalfaro18/self-hosted-restream
8 - Point the OBS of the first computer to stream not to twitch directly, but instead a custom ip and port and point it to the ip of the second computer (your streaming computer can reach it via the wifi adapter instead of ethernet). And use the port 1935 example: rtmp://192.168.43.110:1935/stream
9 - Stream (Here's where I was losing internet connection) until I implemented static ip address and DNS to the streaming PC.

In my case I lost internet immediately, not after a couple of hours like the original question says.

CHIEF HOTSTICK

Hi I fixed it by setting up static ip and DNS addresses in my streaming PC. Apparently some crazy configuration in my setup with 2 network interfaces creates a conflict and disconnects me from the internet. In essence I use 2 network interfaces I game with the ethernet interface but I send OBS's traffic via Wifi to another computer (this is private traffic via Wifi) and at some point when I start streaming for some reason created a conflict.

4 - Streaming PC runs OBS and in the preferences advanced network is set up to bind to a specific adapter (whi is the wifi adapter that's connected to the hotspot)

In my case I lost internet immediately, not after a couple of hours like the original question says.
Step 4 cleared my problem with the internet shutting down immediately upon using OBS to record via NDI Screen Capture HX.

I decided to use NDI screen capture HX instead of the normal NDI screen capturing, and right off the bat i set the video bandwith to ultra, which wasn't an option on the normal screen cap mode (i desire HQ recordings). And not very long, from one to maybe ten seconds, upon I started recording, all internet and wifi was shut down and trying to reconnect.

i used NDI screen capture (normal) on my gaming pc and sent over the signal via ethernet, thru the router to a second PC which runs OBS, with zero problems. I google searched "obs ndi internet disconnects" and thankfully it brought me here to you smart people.

This thread provides answers for a couple problems. Well done,commenter, and thank you Raf, i registered just to thank you

CHIEF HOTSTICK

Step 4 cleared my problem with the internet shutting down immediately upon using OBS to record via NDI Screen Capture HX.

I decided to use NDI screen capture HX instead of the normal NDI screen capturing, and right off the bat i set the video bandwith to ultra, which wasn't an option on the normal screen cap mode (i desire HQ recordings). And not very long, from one to maybe ten seconds, upon I started recording, all internet and wifi was shut down and trying to reconnect.

i used NDI screen capture (normal) on my gaming pc and sent over the signal via ethernet, thru the router to a second PC which runs OBS, with zero problems. I google searched "obs ndi internet disconnects" and thankfully it brought me here to you smart people.

This thread provides answers for a couple problems. Well done,commenter, and thank you Raf, i registered just to thank you
Nevermind I spoke to soon

CHIEF HOTSTICK

Nope nevermind again. My netgear nighthawk router comes with that shitty armor security powered by you guessed it... bit defender. Disabled that and my network is gucci.

On the plus side I learned a lot about NDI and networking. I'm about to set up a VLAN for my ndi recording pc and assign IP addresses.