Bug Report OBS detects wrong resolution

Chris Martin

Firstly, I just want to say this is a great tool and really look forward to using it more! It seems I should be able to record UHD at a reasonable frame rate, assuming I can fix this problem.

I am having a problem with OBS detecting the wrong resolution. If I point it at the monitor I want to record in the Video -> Base Resolution it detects 2560x1440 not the 3840x2160 I am actually running. If I enter a custom resolution and use 3840x2160 the file records with the video squeezed into the top left corner, both in the preview and in the actual recorded files. If I accept the resolution it (incorrectly) detects (2560x1440) then I only see the top left 2560x1440 out of 3840x2160, again both in the preview and recorded files.

I have tried OBS 32 and 64 bit, V0.64b. I am using the x264 Encoder. I am using a pair of R9 290X cards in crossfire, and I am trying to record video from Elite: Dangerous. I have tried the AMD VCE branch and it is the same there.

Attachments

• 2015-02-22-2027-07.log
    8.2 KB · Views: 113

Chris Martin

Perhaps using dpi scaling?

Are you asking if I am using DPI scaling?

In Windows 8.1, DPI scaling is enabled by default for hi-res displays, and yes I have left it enabled so I can read text in Windows (UHD makes scaling essential).

Are you saying that OBS takes scaling into account? How does that make sense? Shouldn't OBS detect the resolution that the Window is, not what it would be if it were scaled? It's not like Elite: Dangerous (or any game, for that matter) pays any sort of attention to the scaling factor.

At the worst, OBS should at least have an option to respect the native resolution, not the scaled one. Fraps, Raptr, Twitch and Bandicam all work fine on the same machine: the only capture software that DOESN'T work is OBS.

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
DPI scaling is most likely the problem. Turn it off when recording, or use the compatibility option for it on your OBS shortcut properties.

Chris Martin

DPI scaling is most likely the problem. Turn it off when recording, or use the compatibility option for it on your OBS shortcut properties.

Are you referring to the "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" check-box in the Compatibility tab of the shortcut settings? After changing that setting the correct resolution came up in OBS's Settings... but it still recorded squeezed into the top left, both in the preview and the actual recorded file. The recorded files are coming out in the 1920x1080 resolution I am expecting, but with a black border along the bottom and right hand side.

I really don't want to have to turn of DPI scaling just to play/record because it requires a restart, and then another to change it back just to browse a webpage.

Can you explain the different behaviour between OBS and Fraps/Bandicam/Raptr? If we can narrow down what's different then it will make it easy(OK, easier) to track the problem.

Joel Sterne

I'm not sure if this will help since I have an NVidia graphics card and OP has AMD, but I was having a similar sizing problem where the video footage was shrunk down into the top left corner with a bunch of empty space, but the mouse cursor and everything else still registered that the scene was the correct size in the window and would misalign with the image. I could tell it was a scaling problem since I use a smaller resolution than the default on one of my monitors to match the resolution of my older one, and when I would set my monitor back to the default 1920x1080 it would show up in obs correctly but trying to use my custom 1360x768 would result in the scaling issue. After a few days of struggling, I found this in my Graphics card Settings:
5b7fcc7307bb9ab423ddecff95f8552e.png

In the NVidia Control Panel, under Adjust Desktop Size and Position, my settings were set to "Aspect Ratio" rather than "No Scaling". Once I applied the new settings it lined up perfectly in the preview window and during streams and the visual quality of everything on the monitor wasn't any different. Again, not sure how much this will help OP at all but if anyone else was having the same problem with an NVidia graphics card, the Scaling is definitely the cause.