OBS Crashing often...

YesAndImprov

Hello,

I am using OBS to produce online content. Self taught so I don't know what I don't know. I have been using it since April of 2020 with a lot of success. A few months back I got a new beast machine to do all the heavy lifting that I am in need of. Current machine has a RTX 3080 and 64gb of ram. I am noticing that OBS crashes at least 50% of the time when I close out of it. I am using a virtual camera, to pipe into zoom, I am pulling audio out using the audio monitor plugin that spits out audio to zoom via a virtual audio cable, and I am also spitting out video and audio via a dedicated NDI filter that goes over an NDI bridge to a broadcast machine. The video/audio routing is quite intense for the shows I am producing. I also am using a browser source layer that can be used to dynamically change the backgrounds with performers chromakeyed out. There is the back ground.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have attached a few log files to see if there are any consistencies.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Crash 2021-12-18 21-50-17.txt
    150 KB · Views: 11
  • Crash 2021-12-18 21-34-55.txt
    150 KB · Views: 6
  • Crash 2021-12-14 21-31-04.txt
    150 KB · Views: 9

konsolenritter

The crash reports say at least thats in every case during a rendering function regarding NDI.
So OBS crashes mostly when you are about to close it? Did you stop the NDI output first before closing OBS?

YesAndImprov

Interesting.

Yes, that is when OBS crashes. When I close it out. A bit more info and questions.

I do not have the NDI.Plugin.OutputSettings.GroupBox.Main or Preview checked in the Tools menu, but I do have Dedicated NDI for my camera and my audio. They flow over the Bridge to the Server when I am producing a show.
Screenshot.png

I have found that sometimes when changing Scene Collections while the camera is engaged that OBS would also crash...
I have a BlackOut scene that has nothing in it and have found that sometimes when I switch to that before changing Scene Collections, that I do get a few less crashes.

As for do stop the NDI output first before closing OBS, not entirely sure. Note that I am only using the Bridge when producing shows, not when teaching a class. I also get crashes on closing when teaching as well.

Question: If the camera source has a dedicated NDI output setup on it and the camera is active, is the NDI active? Or is it only active when NDI is actually transmitting to another device?

Sometimes during shows I have experienced out of sync A/V or even audio drift. (In some of my shows I pull multiple actors into a single frame) When I experience audio issues on the youtube stream, one of the main solves for this has been to restart OBS on the server if other video content is out of sync at the server layer, if individual performers are out of sync, then restart OBS on the performer layer and that fixes individual out of syncness. Sometimes this needs to be done on the fly and I just close OBS quickly.

Question: it is seeming that there is a possible order of operations that needs to happen? True?

I swear, these audio issues and OBS crashing are the last two things I need to fix before having a production system in place that is the solve for live online theatre. =)

Last other behavior thing... Often, when OBS crashes it just gets stuck. When I go to re start it, the process has hung and I have to kill it in Task Manager. Giving all the info I have in case it all adds up to a few simple fixes.

THANK YOU very much for replying. As mentioned I do not know what I do not know and am learning as I go.

Any thoughts are appreciated.