OBS crashing BSOD on recording screen from local file or from stream

ortholithos

Dear Forum.
Hello and thanks for being there. I'm new and hope that the format is correct below.

logfile:
https://obsproject.com/logs/nON_CDwtI8czsjJe

I haved recently bought a Intel Hades Canyon NUC (spec below) windows 10 machine which includes a RAdeon Vega dedicated graphics card. I need to be able to record streamed material sometimes passworded , sometimes not.

I need to be able to create and edit short videos, to be able to add overlays or voice-overs to videos of some streamed material (sometimes behind a password) of online classes that I teach as well as other video material. In the past using win 7 I have used Applian's Replay Media Catcher without any problem.

A timeline:
  • shortly after purchase, I ran a live class and tried to record using a webcam + the windows 10 recording app. The machine crashed half-way. (A subsequent recording worked OK, so I thought nothing of it at the time)
  • previously recorded videos seem to play fine.
  • the Hades CAnyon began crashing when using OBS to record streamed video (from screen/desktop - not direct from URL/internet)
  • TRied other recording mediA: Crashed using 'replay media catcher' from URL based stream
  • crashes using 'apowersoft'
  • crashes (BSOD) when recording mp4 video from local ( or USB) drive
  • HOWEVER:
  • it does allow basic screen recording of streamed material (e.g. a movie) successfully, in real time, using windows game bar (win key + g or alt+win+R)
  • BUT:
  • I can't get to record using radeon vega : 'radeon relive' ' -

I've been in touch with Simply NUC from whom I bought the machine and have updated all relevant drivers.
No change.

OBS log analysis (URL above)suggests that the Vega is not compatible, though it is sold / installed by manufacturer as superior to the on-board intel graphics. I'm therefore confused.

I do hope you can help -
kind regards,
Alex

Intel Hades Canyon NUC
CPU: 3.1GHz Intel Core i7-8809G (quad-core, 8MB Cache, up to 4.2GHz)
Graphics: Radeon RX Vega M GH graphics (4GB HBM2 VRAM), Intel UHD Graphics 630
RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 (3,200MHz)

Attachments

• ortholithos OBS logfile 01.txt
    7.1 KB · Views: 19

Tux Prowess

Having experience from this GPU range, these things break down under heavy load due to making too much heat, and there's nothing you can do to counteract this other than very advanced cooling solutions.

ortholithos

Thanks for that -
however please note the recording takes place fine using the windows game bar screen recording. Presumably this is stroll going via the radeon, and not overheating or crashing .
I'm not a gamer, but bought this machine (Hades Canyon) precisely for its graphics spec. How do I monitor the temperature? I'm not sure the logfile records that.
Many thanks,
Alex

FerretBomb

You can grab an application called GPU-Z. It includes a Sensors tab, which includes the GPU temperature.

That said, if it's getting to the point of a BSOD, it's definitely a hardware stability issue, rather than OBS itself. I'd definitely put credence in the cooling being an issue... NUCs are more meant for lightweight SFF tasks, and real-time video encoding is very, very heavy.

ortholithos

You can grab an application called GPU-Z. It includes a Sensors tab, which includes the GPU temperature.

That said, if it's getting to the point of a BSOD, it's definitely a hardware stability issue, rather than OBS itself. I'd definitely put credence in the cooling being an issue... NUCs are more meant for lightweight SFF tasks, and real-time video encoding is very, very heavy.
thanks for that. It looks like load and heat are my issues
  • GPU-Z shows me GPU 100% load - all the time,
  • average temp of GPU around 37 degrees (I've seen it max at 44 degrees)
  • average temperature of CPU around 60 degrees max = 75 degrees
  • memory controller load sits at 100%
BUT:
it records OK with windows Game bar built in recorder. WHY? (GPU 100% always - whether recording or not.)
I am not a gamer and not recording complex stuff : my current recordings are simple (without voice overs or multiple scenes etc.).

This machine is newly bought with preinstalled software. Should I claim it faulty or not fit for purpose and try to invoke the guarantee?

FerretBomb

thanks for that. It looks like load and heat are my issues
  • GPU-Z shows me GPU 100% load - all the time,
  • average temp of GPU around 37 degrees (I've seen it max at 44 degrees)
  • average temperature of CPU around 60 degrees max = 75 degrees
  • memory controller load sits at 100%
BUT:
it records OK with windows Game bar built in recorder. WHY? (GPU 100% always - whether recording or not.)
I am not a gamer and not recording complex stuff : my current recordings are simple (without voice overs or multiple scenes etc.).

This machine is newly bought with preinstalled software. Should I claim it faulty or not fit for purpose and try to invoke the guarantee?
I'd recommend returning it, if possible. NUCs are NOT meant for real-time video encoding tasks. If possible, I'd advise something with a discrete nVidia GeForce GPU, at least a 10-series (but not the 1030, which does not have NVENC support). NVENC will cover 95% of the 'heaviest' part of video encoding (the actual encoding). An i5 or better would be advisable as well.

ortholithos

Hi there - I take your point, but then why did Simply NUC include the radeon card in the very popular Hades CAnyon version? From what you say, nothing is 'broken' but inadequate or unfit for purpose as advertised. If I am to try returning the machine, I need to know the answer to this question:
Why do recordings work fine on the (limited features) windows game bar? Can it be that OBS is simply more demanding of resources than the built in offering from windows? I have tried to set it up with the lowest quality levels of frame rate, etc.
kind regards and thanks for your support,
Alex