OBS Crash on Startup ~ Nothing fixes it (Unhandled exception: c0000005)

Patchwrk

I've been using OBS & StreamElements for over a year with no issue, when all of a sudden both applications crash immediately when I open them. I have not downloaded any new plugins recently, or changed any of my settings in either app.

I have attached the most recent crash file. Please let me know if I need to provide any more information.

What I've done to trouble shoot:
- Uninstalled and reinstalled OBS & SE
- Looked for any system updates and driver updates (from what I can see, everything seems up to date)
- Gone into BIOS and turned off the Overclocking feature
- Gone into Settings and turned off Game Mode
- Uninstalled a plugin I knew was out of date & no longer need

My Computer Specs:
Device name DESKTOP-FMJAAK0
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800 8-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB
Device ID 3AA02C58-2903-4E19-849E-E2F073BCDAEE
Product ID 00342-20787-54241-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Attachments

• Crash 2022-07-30 12-56-18.txt
    220.1 KB · Views: 79

Patchwrk

I've also noticed that sometimes when I open the System Tray, there's a bunch of OBS icons in there, but they close one by one when I open the tray (though this is only sometimes, other times it fine)

koala

OBS crashes while accessing some video capture device. If you have some capture device, physical or virtual that is running with custom drivers and not Microsoft ones, try to update that software or uninstall.
There is also some dll injected that indicates you have Nahimic Audio installed, which is listed as known conflict.
See also https://obsproject.com/wiki/Known-Conflicts

Patchwrk

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!
How can I uninstall Nahimic Audio? I didn't know I had it, and Google isn't giving any clear answers.

Harold

DO NOT enable the compatibility mode for an older version of windows. It breaks core functionality of obs.

Patchwrk

DO NOT enable the compatibility mode for an older version of windows. It breaks core functionality of obs.
So, I've already done this ... What exactly does it break and how can I undo it? And does it matter if I have Windows 11?

Patchwrk

So, OBS isn't crashing anymore, but it's having trouble picking up my mic. Some of the audio is cutting out, and the graphs are very laggy. Desktop audio sounds fine though, it's not cutting out. I haven't changed any of my mic settings since last time I used OBS, and it worked fine then.

Update: I disabled the compatibility mode and it is crashing again.

Patchwrk

OBS crashes while accessing some video capture device. If you have some capture device, physical or virtual that is running with custom drivers and not Microsoft ones, try to update that software or uninstall.
There is also some dll injected that indicates you have Nahimic Audio installed, which is listed as known conflict.
See also https://obsproject.com/wiki/Known-Conflicts
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! From what I know I don't use any capture devices, and I have searched my computer for Nahimic Audio, but can't find any trace of it. Where would the Nahimic Audio files be?

Harold

So, I've already done this ... What exactly does it break and how can I undo it? And does it matter if I have Windows 11?
It breaks:
display capture
window capture
sometimes game capture
browser sources
the win-capture audio plugin used to capture program-specific audio

No it doesn't matter if you have windows 11, compatibility mode should NEVER be used.

koala

Compatibility settings alter a few specific obsolete OS behaviors present in previous OS versions. It can be used for apps that rely that specific OS behaviors and that don't work without them.
OBS doesn't suffer from this, because it is always being developed with the then current Windows version in mind and simply doesn't contain any of that OS specific behavior. If you use the current version of OBS (as of the time of this post: 27.2.4), it's already Windows 11 aware. So compatibility settings are never needed. If used, they might prevent OBS from running in the most optimal way, so your performance may suffer instead of increase.

No offense meant, but if someone posts "applied compatibility settings", it usually means: "i don't have a clue, so I just changed randomly every setting I find to see if my issue goes away". It's as if you're changing the tires of your car instead of refuel your empty tank to make your car driving again.

Patchwrk

Compatibility settings alter a few specific obsolete OS behaviors present in previous OS versions. It can be used for apps that rely that specific OS behaviors and that don't work without them.
OBS doesn't suffer from this, because it is always being developed with the then current Windows version in mind and simply doesn't contain any of that OS specific behavior. If you use the current version of OBS (as of the time of this post: 27.2.4), it's already Windows 11 aware. So compatibility settings are never needed. If used, they might prevent OBS from running in the most optimal way, so your performance may suffer instead of increase.

No offense meant, but if someone posts "applied compatibility settings", it usually means: "i don't have a clue, so I just changed randomly every setting I find to see if my issue goes away". It's as if you're changing the tires of your car instead of refuel your empty tank to make your car driving again.
Thank you for letting me know! And no offense taken, I'm still learning a lot of this stuff and dont fully understand everything. But I get what you're saying. I'm still at a loss for how to fix it though,,,

Patchwrk

A friend helped me fix it!
We uninstalled both OBS and SE & deleted all traces of it I could find on my computer.
When I tried to get my overlays from the cloud, it crashed. So I uninstalled & deleted everything again.
I've been adding all my overlays, sources & settings back by hand, but it works fine now!
Although, Vtube Studio has started consistently crashing whenever I try to choose my camera