OBS Causing Game Framerate to Drop Intermittently

TurtleChef92

A few days ago a bug randomly introduced itself where having OBS running (not even streaming or recording) will eventually cause the framerate of my games to drop massively (usually to around 40fps, down from 75fps). Once it starts it will last a about 20-30 minutes and usually stops for a bit and then comes back, doing this intermittently. However, if I pull up an overlay, or Alt+Tab out of the the game, the framerate returns to normal until I return focus to the game. I can actually game at the correct FPS as long as I have some kind of screen overlay open. The issue did not seem to coincide with any updates to my PC software whatsoever. My hardware is not maxed out in any way shape or form, I monitor them with MSI Afterburner. No overclocks.

Things I've already tried:

- Verify issue on multiple games
- Updated GPU driver, OBS, and Windows
- Updated Any Plug-Ins OBS is using
- OBS is running with Admin priority

Specs:
  • Ryzen 5 5600X
  • MSI B550 Gaming Plus
  • Corsair LPX 16gb CAS18 3600mhz DDR4
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB Founders Edition Video Card
  • Samsung 870 Evo 1TB SSD
  • Western Digital Blue 4tb 5400RPM HDD
  • Corsair Carbide 275R ATX Mid Tower Case
  • EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 650@ 80+ Gold Fully Modular Power Supply
I stream 1080P60 with Nvenc encoding on one PC. I use display capture. Have experienced the issue on lower canvas resolution as well.

Latest log file with the issue present: https://obsproject.com/logs/x-M0xJTZzuWO0n5p

TurtleChef92

Update: I have since discovered it is specifically the Display Capture that is causing the issue. If I use Game Capture and turn off the visibility of my Display Capture the issue disappears. I have a few things in my stream that require the use of Display Capture so I’d still like to figure out what is going on here.