Question / Help OBS causes second drive to disconnect.

HeyMika

I have the problem everytime I start OBS my second drive is disconnecting after a while. I had all my files there for overlays but moved it over to the main drive but it still crashes every time and I don't know how to fix it. I checked on the Task Managar when the drive disconnects the usage jumps up to 100% and directly after that down to 5% or 0%. It also seems that obs does something on the drive when im launching it but I can't imagine that something that obs needs is on there because I moved everything to my main drive and removed it on the second one. I had a recording running and waited if it happends again. The log file of the attempt in attached. In the log it says "22:09:17.710: Recording stopped because of low disk space" but that happends because of the recording attempt. I think it dosn't matter if I record or not because it happend a lot of times before with out recording or streaming.

I hope someone can help me with this problem because its very annoying and you are unable to use obs corrently.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2020-05-08 21-58-11.txt
    56.1 KB · Views: 24

Lawrence_SoCal

An app typically can't disconnect a drive. period. That isn't how the OS wrks. now if you are foolishly running as as admin... well PEBKAC
and you aren't explicit as to whether a removeable drive (ex USB) vs internal (ex SATA or NVMe) - as each has different commands t o remove. When this happened did you check the OS Event Log? disk mgr to check on the drive? I'm wondering if you are driving CPU to 100%, system gets unstable, and a removeable drive in use disappears (an undesired OS behavior, but not completely unexpected)

Much more likely is an OS issue (or possibly even hardware/firmware/BIOS), and the load from real-time video encoding in OBS which is VERY computationally demanding is triggering the issue... but OBS isn't at fault, just the load tripping your system (ie other similar load likely to result in same issue).
That log showed a bunch of errors due to plug-ins, and/or misconfigured extras

So - they ? you'd need to be a LOT more specific. if you mean OBS authors... unlikely as they weren't cause of issue in first place. If you mean plug-in authors? you posted in wrong place. You would need to post to their specific post, or at least have titled this with the specific plug-in of concern (and tagged plug-in)