OBS causes lags ingame.

N4JTIK

Hello, I have a problem with OBS and games (such as PUBG or CS:GO). When I start OBS, even if it doesn't use game sources, there is a high FPS drop, dropping from 600 to 150. Additionally, it causes micro-lags, and it also feels like it's about 60 FPS.

PC Specs:

• GPU: RX 6700XT
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 7600
  • RAM: Kingston FURY DDR5 16GB KIT (2 modules) 6000Hz (32GB total)
  • PSU: Seasonic Gold 650W Semi-modular
Attached below is the OBS log and two screenshots from the game (with and without OBS started).

(Note: I don't use active antivirus - such as avast or something like that - , Windows 10 is updated, and OBS is updated to the newest version).

Thanks for help !

Attachments

• 2024-02-22 11-58-48-obs-log.txt
    20.7 KB · Views: 14
  • withOBS.jpg
    withOBS.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 28
  • withoutOBS.jpg
    withoutOBS.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 30

PaiSand

Remove the plugins you have installed and test it again.
A log file wirth an actual streaming and/or recording session is needed.

If you're using the max quality ingame, please reduce it. AMD GPUs share the resources for encoding and process the graphics, so you need to balance it. Nvidia GPUs have dedicated hardware for encoding. Of course, everything uses the CPU too.

N4JTIK

Remove the plugins you have installed and test it again.
A log file wirth an actual streaming and/or recording session is needed.

If you're using the max quality ingame, please reduce it. AMD GPUs share the resources for encoding and process the graphics, so you need to balance it. Nvidia GPUs have dedicated hardware for encoding. Of course, everything uses the CPU too.
Here it is. There is encoder lag even cpu doesnt go over 55% and GPU over 75%. I dont use max settings. FPS are limited to 600 ingame.

Attachments

• 2024-02-22 15-53-58.txt
    18.6 KB · Views: 10

N4JTIK

EDIT 1.

I found out that when i minimalize OBS from second monitor, the FPS in game come back to normal. I need to fix it due to chat reading etc. really not sure what can be the problem.

PaiSand

There's no streaming session in the log file, just recording.

That's a non existant overload. Just happens at start of the recording/streaming or when you load the game.
Pro tip: don't use advanced output, keep it on simple and use the quality presets for recording.
If you stream to Twitch use their control panel to read the chat and see the stream. You'll find this more usefull as you can see any issue directly there.

Of course you have more resources used when watching OBS or anythign else in the second monitor. When you minimize it this resources are momentarely free (not all)
According to a bottleneck calculator you have an 18% of bottleneck.

N4JTIK

last update.

When OBS is displayed on the second monitor, the GPU doesn't consume enough power (only about 33W). When OBS is minimized, the wattage increases to over 100W, which restores the GPU's performance. Can this be the OBS issue or should I search somewhere in windows? mby hardware problem?