OBS Broken Connection with Facebook Live and Camera

girlovestories

Anyone run into an issue with OBS disconnecting from Facebook Live studio and the connected camera? I've disconnected and reconnected my camera, my Focusrite sound box, my internet. I've checked and re-set the stream key, I've turned everything off and on multiple times, and I am still running into issues. I'll start FB live studio, then start streaming from OBS, then go live on FB. It seems to work for maybe two minutes, and then my camera cuts out and FB live says "please connect streaming software", then takes me to the graphics screen and says something to the effect of "to use graphics, you must use a streaming software". Then when I try to shut down the OBS stream, it freezes when I click "stop streaming". I have to completely close the program, and then it still shows OBS is running, so I have to open the Task Manager. OBS initially does not show up there, but can be found in programs running in the background, so I end all OBS tasks there. I can stream just fine directly through FB Live Studio in webcam mode, but I cannot use my graphics there.

I'm running on the following:
Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044
Manufacturer: Lenovo (Thinkpad)
Model: 20JMA01XUS
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor: Intel Core i7
Physical Memory: 16.0 GB
Web Browser: Google Chrome (latest update)
OBS Version: 29.0.2 (64 bit)
Recent Speed Test: http://secom.speedtestcustom.com/result/f3042270-aaf4-11ed-b7ef-01dba7482622

Attached are today's log files and last week's file when this happened also.

Attachments

• 2023-02-05 09-17-23.txt
    13.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 2023-02-12 09-00-16.txt
    10.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 2023-02-12 09-12-16.txt
    13.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Lawrence_SoCal

not sure with your description if this is a basic issue (I'll address below) or something else

You mean FB /live/producer/ ?
and when you are at /live/producer, you have 2 options (I only use Scheduled Events, but the other should be same/similar) for A. using camera, or B. using streaming software

*IF* you are using OBS, then you do NOT connect your camera to Facebook (semantics ARE important here). Camera is a source in OBS, and FB /live/producer set to use Streaming software. I then manually copy stream key from FB to OBS. When you start streaming in OBS, you should see a preview window in FB /live/producer equal to OBS stream output (with a slight time delay, which can vary). if preview window is NOT content from OBS stream, stop and fix the problem. To make it obvious, in OBS, before you start streaming, add a text overlay or something so OBS stream output is NOT equal to just webcam

and review your own OBS log
note resource error towards the bottom (09-12-16.txt log file)

You have an old, ultra-low power laptop CPU subject to thermal throttling. and you don't have a NVENC capable GPU for encode offload, so you need to be careful with hardware resource utilization. Your OBS settings aren't excessive, for your system assuming you are NOT using Studio Mode (2X rendering) and you are very careful about what else is running outside of OBS, and do real-time monitoring to monitor for bottlenecks

girlovestories

not sure with your description if this is a basic issue (I'll address below) or something else

You mean FB /live/producer/ ?
and when you are at /live/producer, you have 2 options (I only use Scheduled Events, but the other should be same/similar) for A. using camera, or B. using streaming software

*IF* you are using OBS, then you do NOT connect your camera to Facebook (semantics ARE important here). Camera is a source in OBS, and FB /live/producer set to use Streaming software. I then manually copy stream key from FB to OBS. When you start streaming in OBS, you should see a preview window in FB /live/producer equal to OBS stream output (with a slight time delay, which can vary). if preview window is NOT content from OBS stream, stop and fix the problem. To make it obvious, in OBS, before you start streaming, add a text overlay or something so OBS stream output is NOT equal to just webcam

and review your own OBS log
note resource error towards the bottom (09-12-16.txt log file)

You have an old, ultra-low power laptop CPU subject to thermal throttling. and you don't have a NVENC capable GPU for encode offload, so you need to be careful with hardware resource utilization. Your OBS settings aren't excessive, for your system assuming you are NOT using Studio Mode (2X rendering) and you are very careful about what else is running outside of OBS, and do real-time monitoring to monitor for bottlenecks
Thanks! Yes, my camera is not connected to Facebook when I use OBS. I use Camera as a source in OBS and Facebook set to streamline. I think the laptop may be the issue, I am not using studio mode, I'm trying to keep it to the bare minimum. So I'll keep monitoring for bottlenecks and stuff running outside of OBS. Thanks for the reply.

girlovestories

Anyone run into an issue with OBS disconnecting from Facebook Live studio and the connected camera? I've disconnected and reconnected my camera, my Focusrite sound box, my internet. I've checked and re-set the stream key, I've turned everything off and on multiple times, and I am still running into issues. I'll start FB live studio, then start streaming from OBS, then go live on FB. It seems to work for maybe two minutes, and then my camera cuts out and FB live says "please connect streaming software", then takes me to the graphics screen and says something to the effect of "to use graphics, you must use a streaming software". Then when I try to shut down the OBS stream, it freezes when I click "stop streaming". I have to completely close the program, and then it still shows OBS is running, so I have to open the Task Manager. OBS initially does not show up there, but can be found in programs running in the background, so I end all OBS tasks there. I can stream just fine directly through FB Live Studio in webcam mode, but I cannot use my graphics there.

I'm running on the following:
Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044
Manufacturer: Lenovo (Thinkpad)
Model: 20JMA01XUS
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor: Intel Core i7
Physical Memory: 16.0 GB
Web Browser: Google Chrome (latest update)
OBS Version: 29.0.2 (64 bit)
Recent Speed Test: http://secom.speedtestcustom.com/result/f3042270-aaf4-11ed-b7ef-01dba7482622

Attached are today's log files and last week's file when this happened also.
It happened again today, and here's what the log report said in OBS when it crashed. I'm more of a hobbyist than an expert. Can anybody explain? Does this just mean my internet connection slowed?

09:14:54.564: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] bitrate decreased to: 1900
09:14:55.515: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] bitrate decreased to: 50
09:14:55.557: [qsv encoder: 'advanced_video_stream'] Failed to reconfigure
09:14:59.568: [rtmp stream: 'adv_stream'] bitrate increased to: 250, waiting
09:14:59.607: [qsv encoder: 'advanced_video_stream'] Failed to reconfigure

And then OBS froze and wouldn't shut down. I had to go into Task Manager again and force quit.

Lawrence_SoCal

it does mean, most likely, is that there was a bottleneck somewhere between your computer and Facebook (assuming that was your stream target)

Though not common, the 'problem, could be your streaming PC [too many possibilities to go into detail here], but more often is you LAN/WAN connection. Another possibility is the Internet traffic routing of the specific protocols to your specific destination with your specific ISP (either an ongoing routing issue, or a momentary one)

sorry... yea, it can be that complicated.
The typical approach is to monitor your LAN and WAN connection to make sure no unexpected traffic/bandwidth consumption, to eliminate the environment a typical consumer is responsible for, before contacting the ISP for further troubleshooting. In some parts of the world, the ISP being the problem is rare, though some geopolitical areas are better known for ISP configurations that impact streaming traffic.

In my experience, with a clean OBS Studio setup, a network issue causing a crash is really rare. more often the issue is a 3rd party plugin misbehaving, or a PC completely overloaded (causing OBS to crash)

girlovestories

it does mean, most likely, is that there was a bottleneck somewhere between your computer and Facebook (assuming that was your stream target)

Though not common, the 'problem, could be your streaming PC [too many possibilities to go into detail here], but more often is you LAN/WAN connection. Another possibility is the Internet traffic routing of the specific protocols to your specific destination with your specific ISP (either an ongoing routing issue, or a momentary one)

sorry... yea, it can be that complicated.
The typical approach is to monitor your LAN and WAN connection to make sure no unexpected traffic/bandwidth consumption, to eliminate the environment a typical consumer is responsible for, before contacting the ISP for further troubleshooting. In some parts of the world, the ISP being the problem is rare, though some geopolitical areas are better known for ISP configurations that impact streaming traffic.

In my experience, with a clean OBS Studio setup, a network issue causing a crash is really rare. more often the issue is a 3rd party plugin misbehaving, or a PC completely overloaded (causing OBS to crash)
Thanks so much for the response -- that's helpful!

Tim Husted

My personal experience turned out to be low disk space on the recording drive. I was having exactly the same issue running 29.0.2 on windows 11 machine with nvidia GPU and 16gb ram where OBS would disconnect from FB stream and the log would show attempting various bitrates and then would hang when stopping the recording and had to use task manager to kill OBS processes or reboot to recover. The drive had about 35% free space (close to 40gb avail). I had the remux automatically converting to MP4 after ending the recordings and I had not been cleaning up the MKV files. Cleaned up about 100gb of MKV files and no other changes but now OBS works great. So, in my case, it appears to be an issue on the stream recording portion and the logs did not seem to indicate that.

Lawrence_SoCal

The drive had about 35% free space (close to 40gb avail). I had the remux automatically converting to MP4 after ending the recordings and I had not been cleaning up the MKV files. Cleaned up about 100gb of MKV files and no other changes but now OBS works great. So, in my case, it appears to be an issue on the stream recording portion and the logs did not seem to indicate that.
Think typo in the above as 35% free = 40GB means just under 100GB drive... ??
regardless, 40GB available is plenty and should NOT have caused an issue, unless something else also going on [unless your videos were such that you were getting close to filling drive ??
real-time video encoding is demanding... one of the potential bottlenecks is Disk I/O. With SSDs (vs HDDs), such bottlenecks have become less common, but security software can certainly interfere. Some real-time hardware resource utilization monitoring in you case would have shown high write latency at times as a clear indicator of a problem.

with 40GB free to begin with, simply clearing some disk space shouldn't make much difference .. but, depends on other Disk I/O to same physical drive. At first thought, the only reason clearing a bunch of MKVs to make extra free space should make a difference is if
1. using some disk compression or similar such that physical (vs actual free space) is NOT as described)
2. disk errors such that remaining free space has performance problems??
3. security or other scanning software busy with MKVs for some reason and clearing files reduce associated Disk I/O? just making wild guess

Personally, I did the Disk I/O analysis initially, and found that on Win10 with a NVMe SSD, that I could write (and remux) to my main OS drive just fine (KISS). I then move the videos to an archive HDD, after an offsite backup completed