OBS branch with AMD VCE support.

Lower bitrate to 10 000 and check Use Custom Setting and look for pictures in topic where people show their setting that are good

@jackun I will test OBS-Studio when I'll have more free time.

dping

@jackun, btw, I never got the obs studios build working properly, does it just work or do I have to change something in the settings? I seem to have the same CPU usage with the main build to yours.

jackun

Developer
@jackun, btw, I never got the obs studios build working properly, does it just work or do I have to change something in the settings? I seem to have the same CPU usage with the main build to yours.
Yeah, forgot to add before but edited later. You have to select Advanced from Output > Output Mode and then select encoder. But there is no interop. so it's a bit heavier on cpu.

dping

Yeah, forgot to add before but edited later. You have to select Advanced from Output > Output Mode and then select encoder.
Thanks, will try when I'm home.

EDIT: @jackun, I did some crazy test where I

enabled VCE for local recording at 1080@60fps speed 50000 bitrate

and

streaming x264 720@60fps 3500bitrate

it seemed to "work" but if I had a few issues I will list below most of which aren't really an OBSstudio VCE thing but an main OBS Studio branch.

Code:
[VCE AMF encoder: 'recording_h264'] Received packet: 1
seems to stream every frame in the log which not sure if that is supposed to be that way; I ended up with a 1MB log file... I was able to upload it by replacing the text in code above with a space

log file: http://pastebin.com/7h0hqEDk

2. If there is downscaling set in the video tab, the rescale output option in the output tab doesn't make a difference to which I would say that I'm sure one of the two will probably have to be removed or some inteligence put in there so that the output window knows what the video window is set to.

3. if rescale is checked but the rescale is set to the source resolution, obs crashes. i.e. 1080p source 1080p rescale

4. Once I fixed issues 2 and 3 above with the proper scaling doing streaming with 3500 CBR (720) and local with 50000 VBR (1080), the streaming bitrate seems to go crazy high maxing out my upload, which was an issue when playing back. and also seemed to cause in game lag (assuming it was VCE encoder lag since I had game studdering but only 60% cpu usage).

I know these are more mainline obs issue here, but I wanted you to be aware of these and you probably know who to talk to to get them looked at?

Lastly, I love the idea I could do something crazy like this but I can see the level of complication that can arise from programming something like obs studio, but its great! I'm excited with the possibilities

Last edited:

djdynamite123

Hi, be ideal if there was an additional settings section for when streaming or recording. For example currently you'll need to go back into encoding and change bitrate for either.....

Any chance for recording higher than 1080p?

Also, what's the best quality settings for VCE recording, I have clicked the Quality tab so using whatever that pre selects.
Video down-scaled to 1080p
Lanczos
60fps
CBR & CBR Padding ticked and at 60,000kb/s
Open CL

What's the better option?

.....For streaming, which would use 3500kbps, quality is all fuzzy, so cant even use VCE. Back to x264. What to do?

dping

Hi, be ideal if there was an additional settings section for when streaming or recording. For example currently you'll need to go back into encoding and change bitrate for either.....

Any chance for recording higher than 1080p?

Also, what's the best quality settings for VCE recording, I have clicked the Quality tab so using whatever that pre selects.
Video down-scaled to 1080p
Lanczos
60fps
CBR & CBR Padding ticked and at 60,000kb/s
Open CL

What's the better option?

.....For streaming, which would use 3500kbps, quality is all fuzzy, so cant even use VCE. Back to x264. What to do?
Are you referring to the VCE build of OBS studios or OBS1?

1080p @ 60fps is about max at the speed setting and its a little iffy with it actually doing 60fps. 1080@30 is stable and so is 720@60.

djdynamite123

Are you referring to the VCE build of OBS studios or OBS1?

1080p @ 60fps is about max at the speed setting and its a little iffy with it actually doing 60fps. 1080@30 is stable and so is 720@60.
Yeah, and encoding rate of 60,000 or so? So what encoding setting is needed when streaming. Putting it to 3500 is not possible looks like a firework on screen.

dping

Yeah, and encoding rate of 60,000 or so? So what encoding setting is needed when streaming. Putting it to 3500 is not possible looks like a firework on screen.
it wasn't a yes or no question. lol OBS studio or OBS1?

50000 is the max the encoder will do for 1080@60

Code:
// Bitrate and peak bitrate.
// Max value depends on resolution and frame rate:
// - 10 MBits/sec for 720p @ 30 FPS
// - 20 MBits/sec for 720p @60 FPS
// - 20 MBits/sec for 1080p @30 FPS
// - 50 MBits/sec for 1080p @60 FPS

EDIT: in OBS Studios there is a saparate bitrate if streaming and recording, you just have to enable advanced from simple at the top of the video tab in settings.

Remember, this isa fork of a beta so dont expect everything perfect.

Last edited:

jackun

Developer
@djdynamite123 You're probably stuck with whatever maximum bitrate the streaming platform allows (Twitch) and as such you're going to have to lower fps/resolution to get a decent picture quality.
CBR padding/filler is only useful for streaming so the other end (server) knows you're still (a)live. If you're doing local recordings you could use Constrained QP and set Quality Balanced to 7 or more.

@dping can you repoduce the crash in 2 and 3 and screenshot the settings? So far with the settings I've tried I haven't crashed, yet.

E: Ok, got it to crash (sscanf). Recording output is set to rescale but it tries to get streaming scale values, which there are none, from config file (returns a null pointer/string). Just clicking "Rescale Output" saves the boolean to rescale but it doesn't save the resolution to config file unless you select a resolution.

And another weird rounding behaviour, when scaling down 1280x752 (RDP) on adv. streaming, it gives 852x500 but under Video it is now 853x501 and vice versa too, heh. If Video scaling and Adv. scaling don't match, bad things will happen. I'll have to see from where does x264 get the real scaled size.

Last edited:

dping

@djdynamite123 You're probably stuck with whatever maximum bitrate the streaming platform allows (Twitch) and as such you're going to have to lower fps/resolution to get a decent picture quality.
CBR padding/filler is only useful for streaming so the other end (server) knows you're still (a)live. If you're doing local recordings you could use Constrained QP and set Quality Balanced to 7 or more.

@dping can you repoduce the crash in 2 and 3 and screenshot the settings? So far with the settings I've tried I haven't crashed, yet. E: Ok, got it to crash (sscanf). Recording output is set to rescale but it tries to get streaming scale values, which there are none, from config. file (returns a null pointer/string).

with #3: I will tonight. but I had 1080 downscaled to 720 in the video tab and in the local recording, I had rescaling checked but set to 1080p. the streaming tab in video was checked and rescaled to 720p.

so I'm assuming by that logic, the downscaling option in the video tab is now the resolution used for the output tab and I was asking it to rescale 720p to 1080p.
I will play more tonight.

It would just be nice that if advanced is selected in the video tab that it would grey out the downscaling and use base then have some text that said, see the output tab for rescaling the video and applying filters for stream and local recordings.

I will post a log, screenshots and crashdumb if I can find them :D

Allane

So, I've been messing with this awesome VCE branch for a while. First on an HD 7870, and now on the new R9 285. The 285 seems to make VCE run a lot better, but for some reason Frame Skip causes the VCE engine to totally crash (as in, once it crashes, I have to restart my computer to run more tests). Here's the log:

http://pastebin.com/kcHHpU82
Running build 2015-02-08 64-bit
VCE Settings.jpg
Any suggestions other than just not using Frame Skip?

Edit: Just noticed, the log suggests my target bitrate was obscenely high, but my target bitrate in the Encoding tab is 2500 kb/s.

Last edited:

BioGenx2b

So, I've been messing with this awesome VCE branch for a while. First on an HD 7870, and now on the new R9 285. The 285 seems to make VCE run a lot better, but for some reason Frame Skip causes the VCE engine to totally crash (as in, once it crashes, I have to restart my computer to run more tests). Here's the log:

View attachment 6082

Edit: Just noticed, the log suggests my target bitrate was obscenely high, but my target bitrate in the Encoding tab is 2500 kb/s.

Try a GOP size equal to your framerate?

dping

View attachment 6082

does your driver reset? @BioGenx2b his is already set that way. Some of thise settings are pulled from presets i believe. A bit confusing but dont worry unless your actual stream is trying to output at 10mb/s

BioGenx2b

Well, I was having problems with GOP at 120, which was default when I started using it. Dropping it to 60 did resolve some issues I was having, though I don't know if it's related.

In another topic though, Prey always crashes when using Game Capture, and Monitor Capture has noticeable performance hits.

dping

Well, I was having problems with GOP at 120, which was default when I started using it. Dropping it to 60 did resolve some issues I was having, though I don't know if it's related.

In another topic though, Prey always crashes when using Game Capture, and Monitor Capture has noticeable performance hits.
im srry, i read double but i can clearly see you said equal :P

Darker

2015-02-17: [32bit] [64bit] : experimental secret adapter index setting (see here)
Power user-ish: to use another VCE capable device/card, open profile ini and add "AdapterID=n" under "VCE Settings" where n is some number. See log window for device indexes. Custom settings has to be also checked. Disabling OpenCL interop. may also be needed, but maybe driver takes care of some buffer migration from one device to another.

I have two 280X cards and I would like to use one of the card for gaming and the other one for encoding the stream. If I follow your guide, will this give me absolutely no FPS drops at all when streaming?

Should I use the two cards separately or should they be crossfire?