Question / Help OBS as an audio input? (VirtualCam but for Audio)

focus123camera

I use NDI Tools to add a "NDI Source" and set as “Audio", then this computer can transfer audio to another computer, but, it sounds not a very good quality.

Two OBS software can run at one time for broadcasting of FB/YT platform.

cosmicsea

I think I have figured this out... I made an account just to post a reply to maybe help others. I am using OBS and the virtualcam plugin to bring video into Microsoft teams. I wanted to use the OBS audio output as a input for microsoft teams so that I could take advantage of filters that I have on the mic in OBS rather than running the Mic directly into Teams. Here is what worked for me.

Step 1: In OBS in the Audio Mixer panel at the bottom, click the settings icon next to your microphone, go to Advanced Audio Properties, and turn on Monitoring for your microphone. I have it set to "Monitor and Output" because I like to use the record function of OBS to test things, if you select "Monitor Only" the mic will not work with the record or stream functions of OBS but can still be used in other applications.

Step 2: Find and download a Virtual Audio Cable program (google). I'm using the VB-Audio Virtual Audio Device. Follow the instructions to install, in the cast of VB-Audio application I downloaded, unzipped, and ran the .exe setup file.

Step 3: In OBS at the top of the screen, go to File -> Settings -> Audio (tab). Under the Advanced panel look for "Monitoring Device". Set this to the input for the virtual cable application "Cable Input (VB-Audio Virtual Cable)" in my case. If you do not see this you may need to close and reopen OBS, restart your computer, or double check your install of the Virtual Audio Cable application.

Step 4: Open the application that you want to use with OBS audio. In my case Microsoft teams. Change the microphone input device to the output of your virtual audio cable application, in my case ""Cable Output (VB-Audio Virtual Cable)". Again if this doesn't appear, try restarting the application or your PC.

Step 5: That's it, it worked for me, I hope it works for others too.
Thank you so much!!! You saved my life, I followed every step and it works perfect now! I already had a virtual cable but I had an echo and it sounded horrible so with your audio monitoring on OBS tip I solved it. I made an account just to show appreciation so again, thank you, thank you and thank you!!!

CeeCee

It works, thanks. However, I get quite a bit of sound degradation, it sounds a bit muffled, when sending my sound to Zoom or Skype from OBS using Virtual Audio Cable, any ideas?
Seems to work for me. I'll keep an ear out for degradation.

CeeCee

Thank you so much!!! You saved my life, I followed every step and it works perfect now! I already had a virtual cable but I had an echo and it sounded horrible so with your audio monitoring on OBS tip I solved it. I made an account just to show appreciation so again, thank you, thank you and thank you!!!
Yes, thanks very much. We needed separate feeds from our Zoom host computer to the hall and to the webinar attendees. This seems to have done the trick. I'll post later if we find otherwise.

We're using a Gigabyte AORUS Z790 board in a case with only two audio jacks each front and rear. Dealing with the Realtek and Gigabyte support for this is a bear. I tried VoiceMeeter, but both the standard and Banana led to dropouts of audio every several seconds and I could never jigger the buffering, sample rate or resoluion to resolve it. While OBS is oriented to video with some limited audio support, it was sufficient.

呵呵涛哥

Yes, thanks very much. We needed separate feeds from our Zoom host computer to the hall and to the webinar attendees. This seems to have done the trick. I'll post later if we find otherwise.

We're using a Gigabyte AORUS Z790 board in a case with only two audio jacks each front and rear. Dealing with the Realtek and Gigabyte support for this is a bear. I tried VoiceMeeter, but both the standard and Banana led to dropouts of audio every several seconds and I could never jigger the buffering, sample rate or resoluion to resolve it. While OBS is oriented to video with some limited audio support, it was sufficient.
Very thank you .
So I was not particularly happy with either of the half-solutions above. Searching around a bit more I found the Audio Monitor Plugin for OBS.

Probably all the OBS experts already know this is the way to solve this and this is obvious to them...but I didn't...so figured I would post back here with details on how to accomplish the desired setup (not half way) I described in my previous post using this plugin.

It still feels quite complex and I created a diagram just so I could easily sanity check my setup. So it would still be great if the solution I proposed above was eventually implemented directly in OBS (first class audio output device for virtual cam case where OUTPUT goes separate from MONITOR device so you don't have the microphone problem).

Maybe my diagram helps someone. I'm on a mac but left the concepts general enough they should apply to both systems. The main differences (I think) are the following:

• OBS doesn't require virtual cable to capture desktop audio in Windows (apparently does in Mac) - Windows users can ignore "Virt. Cable A" in my diagram.
  • On MacOS you can create and use a multi-output device (from "Audio Midi Setup") to combine a virtual cable B and speakers (or headphones) into a single output device (OBS Audio Monitor device).
    • On windows I don't know if this exists so you may need a software mixer like the banana thing people mentioned for this output stage.
    • However this would be "set and forget" as OBS handles the audio switching for you...the mixer is just to combine a virtual cable and whatever output device you want for monitoring (speakers, headphones) into a single Output device for OBS to target.
This example uses zoom but this should work for any app that allows you to select system audio input device (and webcam/video device).

The benefits of this setup:
  • Desktop audio switching (e.g. when changing scenes) AND monitoring.
  • OBS media (e.g. video files in OBS scenes) audio monitoring (switching of course is a given since they are played by OBS)
  • Microphone audio switching (e.g. when changing scenes) WITHOUT monitoring (no echo or feedback issue)
  • All the above audio is fed into a single virtual cable that can be used as an audio input device for Zoom or whatever.
Of course if you don't want audio switching for a specific audio source then you just add it in the global audio settings rather than within a specific scene.

View attachment 72357
very thank you ,this is useful.