Bug Report OBS 25.0.3-1: "Failed to open NVENC codec"

Sensi_claudio

In this mode OBS work fine :

OBS_NoPsycho.jpg

Disable Psycho Visual Tuning

hypr2771

I had the same problem but that was a silly mistake from my side.
I just had selected the NVIDIA On-Demand instead of the NVIDIA (Performance Mode).
If that might be of help for anyone :)
1625000513088.png

Eric Buist

try going into settings, go to output, and change the encoder from hardware NVENC to software.
worked for me on fedora 34.
Having the same problem and I'm not getting the gist of the linux58/linux59 workaround/cleanup. Seems the only simple and effective "solution" is to use software encoding and hear the CPU fan loud and annoying the whole recording. It will be much much much cheaper to just use Windows rather than invest in an over-priced water cooling solution to have CPU full throttle without noise!

Eric Buist

Having the same problem and I'm not getting the gist of the linux58/linux59 workaround/cleanup. Seems the only simple and effective "solution" is to use software encoding and hear the CPU fan loud and annoying the whole recording. It will be much much much cheaper to just use Windows rather than invest in an over-priced water cooling solution to have CPU full throttle without noise!
Also being repeated by tons of error messages to update my graphics driver, again, again, again and again, doesn't help me. I don't know HOW I should update the driver if all updates are installed, maybe I ONCE again need to bypass the APT system and toss NVIDIA binaries directly, but then what's the point of the packaging system?

AaronD

Also being repeated by tons of error messages to update my graphics driver, again, again, again and again, doesn't help me. I don't know HOW I should update the driver if all updates are installed, maybe I ONCE again need to bypass the APT system and toss NVIDIA binaries directly, but then what's the point of the packaging system?
About a year ago (I think), I had a similar problem on my 2015 Dell Precision M6800 Mobile Workstation. Old GPU, and modern version of OBS, didn't like each other. Turns out there had been some housecleaning in OBS, so it only worked with newer drivers anymore, and it was tedious trial-and-error on the command-line (because I kept killing the display manager in the process) to juggle the drivers and find the exact ONE that worked with both. I also needed to change a BIOS setting to handle the laptop display differently, and THEN everything works! I'm still using that rig now.

I was annoyed too, that the later drivers that were technically compatible, did not appear in the graphical installer, but I had to list them on the command-line and install <that one>. Then uninstall it because it didn't work and install <this one> instead, etc.

Most of the time, the packaging system is good, and I did still use it for that, just manually. But every once in a while, its information isn't exactly up-to-date.