OBS 0.52.08 aquaman build - quicksync & capture improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
WARNING: This thread is an archived discussion of an old test build. Download the most recent version of OBS which incorporates these changes and more from https://obsproject.com/download

Hello once again minions! We are proud to present the first quicksync encoding test build. If you have an intel chip and motherboard combination that supports quicksync usage, you can now use quicksync to encode your stream, there by saving a fairly significant amount of CPU usage while encoding.

Edit: Also now testing a new version of game capture for opengl apps. Using super awesome GL extensions the app can now capture GL as fast as directx on nvidia/amd GPUs. It's super nice. Let me know if it causes any minor explosions.

download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/obsproj ... p/download

0.52.08 aquaman build
  • 08 - hide game cursor when in alt-tabbed out of games being captured via game or window capture
  • 08 - [palana] made some quicksync fixes/adjustments
  • 08 - there should be other stuff but I'm sure someone will update this post
  • 07 - fixed a bug for the new GL capture on certain cards
  • Improved game capture for opengl games.
  • Improved game capture for 64bit d3d9 games.
  • Got rid of a stuttering bug that was occurring for some people with game capture.
  • Added new per-scene volume plugin made by homeworld
  • Field discard deinterlacing for DirectShow sources
  • x264 bit rate adjustable while streaming with either VBR or CBR with padding disabled
  • Other random bug fixes and things I can't even remember at the moment. I'm sure someone will yell at me.

Previously on batman:
0.52.05 powdered toast build
  • Added latest x264 revision that has OpenCL hardware acceleration support, can be enabled by adding "opencl=true" as a custom x264 parameter (without quotes. Warning: may be unstable)
  • Fixed a bug with arma2 and dayz not capturing the game properly with game capture (thanks to johnbfrm for figuring this out)
  • Fixed some more quicksync bugs, file output should now work properly (palana)
  • Added capture device gamma slider to the directshow plugin (paibox)

• 04 - fixed a bug with multiple monitors not working
  • quicksync support, enabled in advanced, coded by the most awesome palana
  • added an option to disable all encoding while previewing
  • fixed a bug with game capture sizing
  • fixed a number of other random various bugs

known bugs with quicksync:
  • Quicksync doesn't appear to work properly when you have more than four monitors connected to your main GPU (no clue why currently)
  • CFR with quicksync may or may not work properly for some people
  • some capture methods fail to work with it on at times

Voxletum

Re: OBS 0.52.03 toast build - quicksync

The 1805 and 1908 BIOS versions for the ASUS z77 chipset Sabertooth motherboard currently have issues with detecing the integrated GPU and thus QSV will not work with those driver versions. (apparently BIOS versions prior to this will work, but I haven't tested it)

Next test build should be called 'ketchupburger' because Jim is weird.

Tak0r

wasn't it more than one monitor actually and min one connected to igpu? or is that one fixed already?

Boildown

Quicksync is specific to the Sandy Bridge and later Intel processors, right? No use for anyone with a previous CPU?

Quicksync was supposedly updated in Ivy Bridge, does this utilize that update?

Quicksync was supposed to be a lot lower on CPU utilization, or a lot faster at encoding, but fairly low quality. Do we have the same control over quality settings with Quicksync as we do without it? If not, what are the limitations?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin

Quicksync is only available on Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPUs and only on motherboards that support it.

Quicksync's quality is more or less comparable to the "superfast" x264 preset. EDIT: Maybe a bit better though, try it and see.

Luk

Is there a way to find out whether the stream is currently transcoded using quicksync or not?

Helixia

My game capture size bug hasn't fixed, but i'm starting to believe it is on my end.

XeiZ

Luk said:
Is there a way to find out whether the stream is currently transcoded using quicksync or not?

Is your cpu usage for obs below 10% maybe even 5%? If so -> qsv is working

Luk

Well, I'm using an Intel Core i5-3570K with the HD4000 on it and a GTX 580 as descrete GPU. I've enabled the iGPU in the BIOS, installed the necessary driver and installed Virtu MVP.
When playing League of Legends with my Monitor plugged in to the discrete card, I get my normal framerates, but when streaming my CPU load goes up to 70-80% (about 30% when not streaming). E.g. Sony Vegas says that QuickSync is not enabled on the System.
Unplugged the Display, plugged it into the iGPU. Now Sony Vegas renders a video using QuickSync. Still the system load goes up to 70% while QuickSync is enabled in the OBS settings. There is no notable difference between CPU usage when enabling/disabling QuickSync. However my fps in LoL drop by 50% when starting to stream which didn't happen before when the Display was plugged into the discrete gpu.

Any suggestions?

XeiZ

Not sure about virtu... i dont think anyone uses it who already worked with qsv builds before, i played around with it but got rid of it again because it seemed useless.
Other then that a logfile would help.

edit: btw the current test is .04 not .03 , jim updated it because .03 had some missing stuff for qsv, make sure you have .04!

Luk

So does that mean that you can only use qsv when you're not using a descrete graphics card at all? Or how are you managing OBS to use the iGPU for encoding while the dGPU renders the frames?
I'm on 04, guess I got it late enough :P

Joe33345

Could I get a description or definition on what exactly QuickSync is and what it does? Please? :-)

Luk

QuickSync is a hardware-accelerator built into the iGPUs in the last three Intel Core CPU generations. In case of OBS it encodes the stream using the hardware-acceleration, resulting in far less CPU usage of OBS. Refer to Intel's CPU documents to find out if yours supports it :P
However, we are trying to figure out how to actually use it xD

Joe33345

I actually just tested it out. I'm running an i7 2600k. Just in the preview I go from 35% CPU Usage on 720p Preset Medium down to 5% - 10% usage. It's actually pretty phenomenal.

XeiZ

It just does. :P At least for me i just need to make sure the game is placed on the monitor that is connected to the discrete gpu but i´ve heard from other that it doesnt matter for them so i guess its different for different motherboards.

Luk

Well as far as "iGPU is active" goes.... it tells me it's on when having the Monitor plugged into the discrete card (CPU-Z, OBS, Windows Resolution Settings.... all say it's there and available). Let me just uninstall Virtu MVP and run this setup again from scratch, I'll be activating QuickSync and start streaming. After that I'll post a logfile of that stream.

XeiZ

Joe33345 said:
I actually just tested it out. I'm running an i7 2600k. Just in the preview I go from 35% CPU Usage on 720p Preset Medium down to 5% - 10% usage. It's actually pretty phenomenal.

Preset and all custom encoder settings arent active with qsv. ;)

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin

Dammit Xeiz, you ninja'd me by 2 seconds.

As I posted earlier, QSV video should be similar to the superfast x264 preset in terms of quality.

EDIT: That might be arguable, possibly better than superfast but maybe not as good as veryfast? It's subjective, just give it a try.

Luk

Yay, I think it's working. I've been looking through the logfiles and saw the line "Failed to initialize QSV hardware session", so I actually knew things were going wrong.
I've followed this tutorial: http://mirillis.com/en/products/tutoria ... ktops.html
And now OBS recognizes my iGPU and returns this now in the logs:
00:01:12: Found QSV hardware support
00:01:12: ------------------------------------------
00:01:12: QSV version 1.6 using MFX_IMPL_HARDWARE_ANY (actual: MFX_IMPL_HARDWARE2)
00:01:12: Using 8 encode tasks
00:01:12: ------------------------------------------
00:01:12: Video Encoding: QSV
And tadaa, 60fps have never been so smooth :3
However, extending your display gives you an unusable virtual desktop, extending your usable desktop to the right. Maybe I find a way around :( Would be cool if you could just dublicate your desktop to the iGPU output so both outputs are generally the same.

EDIT: It only works when "extending" the desktop. If you use Windows + P, you can select between cloning and extending.
Extended -> QSV is working
Clone -> QSV does not work
Start streaming while extended -> QSV works -> set to Clone -> QSV still works (you must keep streaming during this process)

Tak0r

Or Simply look into the Log files

There should be a line like

23:02:29: Video Encoding: QSV

then it's utilizing QSV

Status
Not open for further replies.