Bug Report NVENC's Lossless Preset Artifact Issue

crschindler

I mainly use NVENC (Lossless presets) for local recording. The issue is that video files produced by OBS (0.651 Beta) contain gray artifacts. If I use other NVENC presets, for instance, High Quality preset, I obtain a video stream without gray artifacts. Using x264 with qp = 0 produces no artifacts either. Are you aware of this issue? If so, does a solution exist?

Please look at the attached files for additional information.

Attachments

• OBS_NVENC_HighQuality.PNG
    OBS_NVENC_HighQuality.PNG
    282.8 KB · Views: 146
  • OBS_NVENC_HP_Lossless.PNG
    OBS_NVENC_HP_Lossless.PNG
    176.5 KB · Views: 153
  • OBS_NVENC_Lossless.PNG
    OBS_NVENC_Lossless.PNG
    398.4 KB · Views: 151
  • OBS_x264_QP-0.PNG
    OBS_x264_QP-0.PNG
    318.5 KB · Views: 120

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Have you tried different video players in case it's a decoding error? If this is indeed a problem with NVENC there's unfortunately nothing we can do about it, you would need to report it to NVIDIA.

crschindler

I did try specifically with MPC-HC (1.7.8) and VLC (2.2.0). MPC-HC plays the video with a CPU-based decoder and produces artifacts. VLC does even worse by adding color artifacts (green and red) with a hardware-accelerated decoder. Using VLC without a hardware-accelerated decoder works correctly and displays no artifacts. However, sometimes, VLC cannot play .mp4 files that OBS writes.

Also, when I convert the original .mp4 file with HandBrake (0.10.1.6962), artifacts are back! To avoid that issue, I used another video converter to produce an intermediate file. Then, I used HandBrake with that file.

Boildown

Would be interesting to see your log file and media info from OBS and the resultant lossless .MP4.

But seeing how it plays back normally in VLC using their software decoder, that indicates to me its not an OBS issue. Most likely the players can't handle playback of lossless encoded video, and it may simply be because of the high bitrate, like trying to playback a lossless FRAPS file (doesn't work well). What about in video editing software? No one reasonably captures lossless with no intention of running it through a NLE, minimally.