Question / Help NVENC recording for 4320x4320, where is H265?

amiraziz

Running RTX 2080Ti (24GB), with all up to date drivers (including CUDA).
I am trying to capture a 4320 x 4320 output into my Datapath VisionLC DP2 card for RECORDING (not streaming/gameplay).
I read that NVENC 264 only supports max of 4096 x 4096, and I've verified that in my tests. My 4096x4096 tests work perfectly.
Because I am capturing live visuals for a dome format, the extra 448 pixels will improve my output enough that I care.

Anytime I try to use NVENC for my 4320 x 4320 recording, it fails to start.
I've read that NVENC h265 can capture up to 8K, but I don't see that option anywhere in OBS. Anyone know how I can get around this 4096 limit?

Thanks

BluePeer

there is bottom 264 265

koala

With these custom ffmpeg settings I was able to record with constant qp mode with nvenc hevc on a GTX 1070:

Remark: You vary the recording quality with the qp= parameter in the custom video encoder settings. Not with bitrate. I didn't make tests for sane values, but I assume it's about the same range as with h.264: 15-25 (lower values mean higher quality), with perhaps a bit higher the higher the resolution.

starmanj

So how do you uninstall OBS' native ffmpeg encoders, so that we can use StreamFX ffmpeg?
I see all the filter options, but all I get is the regular H.264 recording options. How do I disable the native ffmpeg and use your built-in one?
Thanks

rockbottom

So how do you uninstall OBS' native ffmpeg encoders, so that we can use StreamFX ffmpeg?

You don't, leave them alone.

I see all the filter options, but all I get is the regular H.264 recording options. How do I disable the native ffmpeg and use your built-in one?
Thanks

Sounds to me like you didn't follow the install guide Michael provided...

starmanj

I installed latest OBS, then Visual Studio 2019 as guide said. That is the gist of the install guide. What am I missing?