NVENC Performance Improvements (Release Candidate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScaryRage

So Nvidia said that the new NVENC encoder with an RTX GPU is able to compare with x264 medium, is that true? Or would you rather compare it with another cpu preset?

Synflood

So Nvidia said that the new NVENC encoder with an RTX GPU is able to compare with x264 medium, is that true? Or would you rather compare it with another cpu preset?
Better than GTX GPU, but worse than x264 fast. IMHO. Large pixelation in dynamic scenes, especially noticeable on a light background like the sky

Fam3mon5ster

Then OBS needs settings which GPU to use. I have intel graphics inside CPU and second GPU which is not fully loaded, so I can switch OBS to it to avoid such FPS drops.

I see what your saying here but even if you offloaded that "1-2%" load by having OBS specifically use another GPU for say your hardware acceleration or scenes or w/e your gonna always run into the issue that your GPU is being fully utilized when under a heavy load. that 1-2 % isnt gonna make a difference if your going to use nvenc as your primary encoder and your always hitting 98-99% utilization. Overflow is right your gonna need to make some sacrifice either by turning down certain settings or resolution or even putting a FPS cap to try to offload the GPU so that obs can breathe - your not gonna find any luck though since your pushing 4k. Your best option is to either go back to x264 and utilize your cpu since your technically GPU dependent at 4k or get another nvidia card and if I remember correctly have obs use GPU 2? and have one card dedicated 2 nvenc while you max out your main gpu- i tried this temporarily when i received my 2080ti and i also plugged in my 980ti - i ran into issues with my psu though just not enough juice lol im sure it could work though I just dont think i can see anyone going out to say buy a $400 rtx card for the "better visual" version for recording or streaming just to sit in the system and use it for nvenc lol- that would be wild -

I also wanna say that if this option was written into obs to choose what gpu to use specifically to target hardware acceleration/ scenes etc to the people that have mutliple gpus, you still have to worry about everything else you got going on during your recording or streaming - you got a chrome opened? your gpu is being utilized - oh you got some media player going on maybe to restream like VLC? gpu being used - man i just found out my damn spotify app has hardware acceleration now LOL everything is being written to use your gpu in some way to help in performance - yea you can turn it off but are you really gonna go through all your apps and scenes etc to help your gpu encode then worry about if your cpu will be overloaded -

sven

I am not shure is it true or a Lie it woud be nice is it medium but the beta looks like veryfast not more. not big change.

I am not shure is it true or a Lie it woud be nice is it medium but the beta looks like veryfast not more. not big change.

it is infact very close to medium x264 with an RTX card and the NVENC obs patch. Maybe not in all situations but it is very close, if not indistinguishable in most cases. It is no lie.

sven

it is infact very close to medium x264 with an RTX card and the NVENC obs patch. Maybe not in all situations but it is very close, if not indistinguishable in most cases. It is no lie.

Mhm not realy i have a rtx 2080 TI and i comparsd it with Medium the Different is big in my mind. i hope in the final version is it rly 1:1 to Cpu Medium but for now. not a change for me.

Osiris

Mhm not realy i have a rtx 2080 TI and i comparsd it with Medium the Different is big in my mind. i hope in the final version is it rly 1:1 to Cpu Medium but for now. not a change for me.

The new NVENC encoder in OBS has nothing to do with quality. The quality improvements are in the NVENC part on the actual GPU.

Khaduran

So I have been trying different games lately. Is there a way for OBS to have higher priority than the game? It gets extremely choppy when I run high quality on the game and encounter certain points in the game. The gpu runs on max but still works flawless in the the game.

Overflow

So I have been trying different games lately. Is there a way for OBS to have higher priority than the game? It gets extremely choppy when I run high quality on the game and encounter certain points in the game. The gpu runs on max but still works flawless in the the game.
Nope, you have to cap your fps or drop down some graphics settings in the game for left some gpu headroom for obs.

VideoVamp

Then OBS needs settings which GPU to use. I have intel graphics inside CPU and second GPU which is not fully loaded, so I can switch OBS to it to avoid such FPS drops.
Specifying which GPU to use would substantially simplify the task for those of us with dedicated broadcast machines. It would also be a massive help to anyone using a high end Mac with an eGPU.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
For those of you having performance problems with the encoder when GPU utilization is over 90%, I recommend using the "Quality" preset and to disable Look-ahead and Psych-visual tuning to reduce GPU usage and see if that helps.

Overflow

For those of you having performance problems with the encoder when GPU utilization is over 90%, I recommend using the "Quality" preset and to disable Look-ahead and Psych-visual tuning to reduce GPU usage and see if that helps.
Quality is different from Max Quality? Disable Look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning will reduce the quality a lot? With this settings we can still use the gpu around the 99% and have OBS run smooth? Thanks.

TimeRocker

I got an RTX 2080 today to replace my GTX 1080 and to use NVENC with it instead of my CPU(4790k) which Ive found is right on the cusp of being obsolete for streaming due to getting bottlenecked in some games, and I didnt want to have to completely build a new PC, so I was hoping based on everything Ive seen and read that the RTX 2080 and NVENC would take care of my needs. I didnt have time to test this beta build tonight before streaming, but I definitely noticed the difference between when Ive used my 1080's NVENC and the 2080's with the stable build. The 2080 is about equal to Very Fast CPU preset on the stable OBS build, but without my CPU bottlenecking me in FFXIV like when I use my cpu which is nice cuz it keeps my game at 60FPS at all times when before it would drop to 45 or so cuz of my CPU.

Now heres the good part. After streaming, I decided to test this build. The first thing I noticed instantly was moving around there was little to no OBS Preview skipping/frame jumps like I was getting in the stable release. Then I did a recording to compare it to ones I did with the stable, and its almost night and day. Hardly any hiccup at all, the visuals are definitely smoother, and it was a near perfect 60FPS the entire test. When compared to the stable recording, there was a dropped frame or 2 every 3 or 4 seconds for that one. This is EXACTLY what I was hoping to get out of the 2080, and Im super happy now to see it was worth it.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Quality is different from Max Quality? Disable Look-ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning will reduce the quality a lot? With this settings we can still use the gpu around the 99% and have OBS run smooth? Thanks.
Max Quality is just Quality with 2-pass encoding enabled. Disabling the other settings shouldn't have a big impact on visual quality, I don't think. Feel free to judge for yourself and report back.

Overflow

Max Quality is just Quality with 2-pass encoding enabled. Disabling the other settings shouldn't have a big impact on visual quality, I don't think. Feel free to judge for yourself and report back.
But, there is a way to have smooth obs even if gpu usage is 99%? Or is just impossible because obs always needs some headroom for being smooth?

Hi, i want to report a bug, with old nvenc i can select the second GPU for encoding and is working great, with the new nvenc is not working at all, basic is not streaming. My setup, 2080ti for gaming and second gpu 2070 for Physx and obs streaming. I will attach the log file, please fix this, i did test the new nvenc on a system with one graphic card and quality is amazing, thank you

Attachments

• 2019-02-08_17-07-51.txt
    19.9 KB · Views: 87

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
But, there is a way to have smooth obs even if gpu usage is 99%? Or is just impossible because obs always needs some headroom for being smooth?
OBS has to have some GPU room, since OBS is a graphics application as well and uses the GPU to composite your scene. If there is no room for OBS to do its work, you're going to have bad performance.

Hi, i want to report a bug, with old nvenc i can select the second GPU for encoding and is working great, with the new nvenc is not working at all, basic is not streaming. My setup, 2080ti for gaming and second gpu 2070 for Physx and obs streaming. I will attach the log file, please fix this, i did test the new nvenc on a system with one graphic card and quality is amazing, thank you
This has been fixed in master -- it has been changed so that if you change to use NVENC on a different GPU, it will just use the old NVENC implementation under the hood instead. You can't use the new NVENC implementation on another card because that utterly defeats the entire purpose of the change.

Overflow

OBS has to have some GPU room, since OBS is a graphics application as well and uses the GPU to composite your scene. If there is no room for OBS to do its work, you're going to have bad performance.

This has been fixed in master -- it has been changed so that if you change to use NVENC on a different GPU, it will just use the old NVENC implementation under the hood instead. You can't use the new NVENC implementation on another card because that utterly defeats the entire purpose of the change.
Even if you use x264 as codec, you need to leave some gpu headroom for obs, is that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.