NVENC Performance Improvements (Release Candidate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Windows 7 can't support the most important feature of the new NVENC, directly feeding frames from VRAM into NVENC. So there wouldn't be any benefit to using the new NVENC, it will fall back to the old NVENC.

bykarizma

Hello , i uses 8 mbit to stream on twitch 1080p60 but 1080p doesnt shows on twitch. Shows 760p and above. How to fix?
My spec i7700q 1080ti

jellysandwich

how is this a new feature of NVENC? this is exactly how NVIFR (until now only used in shadowplay) has always worked

It's not a new feature, it's the new implementation of nvenc in this test build. Previously it used ffmpeg, now it uses nvidia sdk directly.

Overflow

Game is using 40% of CPU, 98-99% GPU, OBS is using 1-2% CPU.
This is the problem, you can't use 98/99% of GPU with the game, OBS need some GPU resource for rendering so, you have to drop down some graphics effect in the game. You can't go above 80/85/90% of GPU usage for the game, you have to left at least 10% of GPU resource for OBS. Using 99% of GPU for the game make OBS dropping frame.

LiaNdrY

Windows 7 can't support the most important feature of the new NVENC, directly feeding frames from VRAM into NVENC. So there wouldn't be any benefit to using the new NVENC, it will fall back to the old NVENC.
If ShadowPlay and directly feeding frames from VRAM into NVENC are the same thing, then why does ShadowPlay work on Win7?

bykarizma

Hello , i uses 8 mbit to stream on twitch 1080p60 but 1080p doesnt shows on twitch. Shows 760p and above. How to fix?
My spec i7700q 1080ti
Someone could help me to fix this problem?

( This problem happen just on twitch. I uses restream everyting fine on youtube)

ScaryRage

( This problem happen just on twitch. I uses restream everyting fine on youtube)
Try lowering bitrate to 6k. Or start your stream with a blackscreen so you dont use 8k bitrate when starting the stream. Twitch detects you using 8k bitrate and doesnt let you stream. So start the Stream with a blackscreen for 10seconds and then u can do what ever you want and it should work.

bykarizma

Try lowering bitrate to 6k. Or start your stream with a blackscreen so you dont use 8k bitrate when starting the stream. Twitch detects you using 8k bitrate and doesnt let you stream. So start the Stream with a blackscreen for 10seconds and then u can do what ever you want and it should work.

I streaming 8.5 mbit with old nvidia encoder but this happened with new nvidia encoder. The problem is with new encoder. Cant stream with 8 mbit as old nvidia encoder.

KLO

This is the problem, you can't use 98/99% of GPU with the game, OBS need some GPU resource for rendering so, you have to drop down some graphics effect in the game. You can't go above 80/85/90% of GPU usage for the game, you have to left at least 10% of GPU resource for OBS. Using 99% of GPU for the game make OBS dropping frame.
Then OBS needs settings which GPU to use. I have intel graphics inside CPU and second GPU which is not fully loaded, so I can switch OBS to it to avoid such FPS drops.

Osiris

If ShadowPlay and directly feeding frames from VRAM into NVENC are the same thing, then why does ShadowPlay work on Win7?
Because it is not the same. As I understand it, the new NVENC SDK has the option to directly feed a (D3D) texture to the NVENC API. In the case of OBS this texture lives in the GPU's VRAM and it has NV12 as the format. DirectX 11 on Windows 7 does not have support for the NV12 texture format.

Then you are not streaming 1920x1080, remember that rescaling in settings -> output does nothing when using the new NVENC.

Last edited:

ntoff

Then you are not streaming 1920x1080, remember that rescaling in settings -> output does nothing when using the new NVENC.
So you can enable rescaling, but the output will still be in 1080? new NVENC just ignores the setting? Will that be changed in the release so if the new NVENC is enabled, the ability to rescale is disabled? Or if you enable scaling, will it just fall back to the old ffmpeg NVENC?

Klesk Reaver

Very interested to know if I can use an RTX card as a 2nd card in my system for NVENC purposes only and get all the benefits of a 20 series NVENC without having to use the RTX card on its own.

example: I'm using a 1080ti as the only card in my system, I simply add a 20 series card into the 2nd PCIe slot, no monitor is attached to it, I tell OBS to use the 20 series card for the encoding work.

This appeals to me as even though I have a dual PC setup, I sold my Elgato 4K60 Pro and HDMI 2.0 monitor as I could never get it to work properly for me, plus I enjoy g-sync too much to want to lose DisplayPort on my primary display

Now that there are some better HDMI 2.0 monitors out in the wild, I want to try streaming again but the cost of getting the Elgato capture card again and a new monitor, far outweighs the cost of just getting a cheap 2060 card for NVENC.

iTzCodes

So, If i always use x264 on a single pc, could switching over to this new update, be less taxing on my pc if i changed to nvenc? I usually do fast @ 4500-5000 bitrate and 60 fps 720p. I have a i7 7700k + 1080 FTW 16 gbs ram. For some games I do play on pc + stream I noticed i have to tune some settings down to be able to handle it. And i've heard nvenc shouldn't be used. But I'm willing to switch over if it'll be better for the pc and still bring out some quality results.

Overflow

So, If i always use x264 on a single pc, could switching over to this new update, be less taxing on my pc if i changed to nvenc? I usually do fast @ 4500-5000 bitrate and 60 fps 720p. I have a i7 7700k + 1080 FTW 16 gbs ram. For some games I do play on pc + stream I noticed i have to tune some settings down to be able to handle it. And i've heard nvenc shouldn't be used. But I'm willing to switch over if it'll be better for the pc and still bring out some quality results.
Quality improvements are for RTX cards for the new nvenc inside the card, so with the GTX 10xx you can have better performance because nvenc is less demanding than x264, but, quality isnt comparable to x264 fast preset with GTX cards (at the same bitrate of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.