NVENC Performance Improvements (Release Candidate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEDRICK

I tried recording at 1080p@60fps 6000bitrate New Nvenc with Max Quality preset, Look Ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning enabled on RTX 2070 and everything was smooth like butter with good quality! And performance impact was very low! I love it! But, i cant capture Win10 games, i mean like SoT. On OBS Studio i create a Game Capture and i select the Sea of Thieves window and it works, but in this beta i have black screen, even if i use the windows capture plugin folder from the stable build.

This version is not signed, so it will not be able to capture Sea of Thieves or any other Windows store app. There are other reuirements to capture Sea of Thieves, OBS must be in C:/Program Files/obs-studio

psifrog

Tried it last night and ran great for the most part!

[clip>>] https://clips.twitch.tv/GorgeousCloudySeahorseOneHand

Only issues I seemed to have were:
1. My internet isn't the greatest so I run a 720p stream and like to record at 1080p. When trying to Rescale Output to 720 in the "output" settings it STILL ran the stream at 1080. I had to use the Output (scaled) Resolution under the "video" settings. Which negates recording at 1080 at all since the scaled resolution is set to 720.
2. Everytime I stop recording while streaming it crashes OBS. Mind you, I have not tested to see if it crashes without streaming. My streaming and recording bitrates are different (same encoder) and have not tested running the same bitrates.

I am going to do some testing to see if I can resolve my first issue. Other than that.. so far its quite buttery!!

Trixz2007

I tried recording at 1080p@60fps 6000bitrate New Nvenc with Max Quality preset, Look Ahead and Psycho Visual Tuning enabled on RTX 2070 and everything was smooth like butter with good quality! And performance impact was very low! I love it! But, i cant capture Win10 games, i mean like SoT. On OBS Studio i create a Game Capture and i select the Sea of Thieves window and it works, but in this beta i have black screen, even if i use the windows capture plugin folder from the stable build.
I had this issue before make sure OBS is installed on primary Drive same as windows installed for some reaskn windows 10 games shows only a black screen when using game capture

Eureka7

I have to say that I am excited about the current Testbuild!
I have always streamed with Streamlabs OBS and had in Black Ops 4 ALWAYS the problem that it run not smooth. I have up to 200fps but it doesn't feel that smooth.

Then I downloaded the current OBS Studio and only streamed with Gamecapture, but that didn't improve anything. With the last test build posted here, the game ran for the first time as if OBS wasn't running at all, simply fantastic!

I will now build my scenes and test it again, if it still runs so well then I have to cry XD

Here are my settings and my hardware:

Scheisse.PNG

Intel i7 8700k Stock
Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 Ram
Gigabyte RTX2080 (nonti)

EDIT:

One Round Black OPS 4 with the current Testbuild
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/361220807

DEDRICK

Tried it last night and ran great for the most part!

[clip>>] https://clips.twitch.tv/GorgeousCloudySeahorseOneHand

Only issues I seemed to have were:
1. My internet isn't the greatest so I run a 720p stream and like to record at 1080p. When trying to Rescale Output to 720 in the "output" settings it STILL ran the stream at 1080. I had to use the Output (scaled) Resolution under the "video" settings. Which negates recording at 1080 at all since the scaled resolution is set to 720.
2. Everytime I stop recording while streaming it crashes OBS. Mind you, I have not tested to see if it crashes without streaming. My streaming and recording bitrates are different (same encoder) and have not tested running the same bitrates.

I am going to do some testing to see if I can resolve my first issue. Other than that.. so far its quite buttery!!

Rescale output does not function currently with the new NVENC, don't spend too much time trying to get it to work.

Trixz2007

I was always a OBS classic to OBS studio now i use streamlabs OBS (SLOBS). Now i currently have a gtx 1080 ti 11Gb. I seen it mention cards 6xxx and above,but it seems more of a RTX 20 series type thing. Would i gain much or see a significantly improvment using this.

DEDRICK

I was always a OBS classic to OBS studio now i use streamlabs OBS (SLOBS). Now i currently have a gtx 1080 ti 11Gb. I seen it mention cards 6xxx and above,but it seems more of a RTX 20 series type thing. Would i gain much or see a significantly improvment using this.

You will yes, my 1080ti saw massive performance improvements recording 1440p60

Osiris

Nope. With OBS Studio stable version, i didnt have any problem. Only this beta cant capture Win10 games from Windows Store even with the plugin folder of the stable version on the beta OBS version.

That's because you are running the beta from outside of C:\Program Files\obs-studio\.

Windows Store (UWP) games currently require extra permissions to be able to capture. If OBS is installed in the default (C:\Program Files (x86)) directory, these will be applied automatically. If you installed OBS to a custom location, you will need to add the ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES security group to the obs-studio folder. Follow these steps:

• Close OBS if it is already open
  • Right click on the obs-studio program folder, select properties, then click on the Security tab.
  • Under the Groups or user names section, click on Edit…
  • Click add, then type in ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES. Select Check Names and it should underline to show it was typed.
  • Click OK, then Apply, then OK, and finally OK again.
  • Restart OBS and attempt to capture the game again

Are the improvements also applied to the NVENC/HEVC code? I see that the beta is also including multi-track audio recording with "Custom", and I'd prefer to record in HEVC to cut down on file sizes a bit. It works wonderfully, too; I was just curious if these improvements are applicable to the h.265 stuff?

Thanks!

There is no NVENC/HEVC code in OBS itself, only in ffmpeg. The new NVENC encoder does not expose the HEVC format at the moment and it also doesn't use ffmpeg, it uses the NVENC API directly.

Overflow

Guys you will suggest to enable Look-ahead for the max quality settings? I have it enabled but idk if is better have it enabled or not. I saw it was disabled by default. I would like to try the best settings for the quality, idc about performance impact. Best quality for 1080p@60fps 6000kbps on RTX 2070. Thanks

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Technically look-ahead should improve quality but I'm not sure how noticeable it is. It may use extra GPU resources.

Overflow

Technically look-ahead should improve quality but I'm not sure how noticeable it is. It may use extra GPU resources.
GPU resources arent a problem, i have an RTX 2070 and i play in 1080p with V-Sync at 60fps. So i think i have some headroom i guess. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.