No Signal on the extended display

mr.3xac7

This might be a more general Windows problem, rather than OBS problem, but I would really appreciate some help because google didn't help. and I am fighting with this for some time now.

Short description:
No signal on the extended display
Laptop: Dell xps15 9570
Display: Philips 245E
Details:
  • connection - HDMI
  • it was working before, nothing has changed, after a few days of being turned off just stopped working
  • display is detected by the laptop, I can see it in Display settings. But "no signal" on the actual display.
What have I tried:

• plugin another laptop to my display - it worked. The display is working fine with other laptops
  • plugin another display to my laptop - it worked. I tried to connect my laptop to a TV using the same HDMI port - it worked
  • switch HDMI cables - no result. HDMI cables seem to be fine
  • reinstall display drivers - no result
  • tried different modes ( extend, duplicate, only pc, only extended ) - same situation in all modes, display is detected but "no signal"
  • I launched OBS, and from OBS I saw there the second the signal is going to the 2nd display, meaning in the OBS preview I can see the windows opening up, and I can drag a window to the extended monitor. I can record a video of something going on on that 2nd display. But, like before, the actual display is black.
  • speccy link: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/80vYxevPHSAuYLWTKoLb5Kd
  • I have booted from a USB stick (Ubuntu) and the display worked without any issues (which I think excludes any hardware issues)
  • tried Windows Recovery based on a replay from another topic - restored to the version from 22.12.2022 - no changes. This had no effect at all

konsolenritter

Try to change the resolution on the second display (in Windows display Settings). Do you know the last succesful resolution you could drive the external display at?

mr.3xac7

Try to change the resolution on the second display (in Windows display Settings). Do you know the last succesful resolution you could drive the external display at?
I did try all possible resolutions (I am fighting with this issue for over a week now). All without any positive result.
The last successful resolution was the monitor's native 2560x1440 at 60hz.

KUCTech

Hello mr.3xac7: This doesn't correspond exactly to your situation, but I will tell you about our experience in case it helps.

First of all, we are a church, running on a Mac, not Windows. We had a reliable connection from the computer (iMac/MacOS), to a projector (Sony VPL-CX276), using RGB connectors, and we had a 1024X768 (4X3) image fill the projector display. We replaced the RGB connectivity with HDMI cables. After this change, we lost the correctly sized image and aspect ratio, and occasionally lost the signal altogether (Signal out of range message). We adjusted the iMac monitor settings, but even when we could set the specifications to match our requirements, this would only last for the duration of the session. Anyway, to make a long story short, after much trial and error, we found that the determining factor is the sequence in which the devices are activated. Specifically, the projector must be powered on first, with the computer and other intermediate switches, splitters, etc turned off. Then we are able to consistently achieve the size and aspect ratio to match our screen.

Good luck with your everything. . .

konsolenritter

So the display is physically working and under linux live boot all is okay, too?

As i can see at your given specs you have an integrated Intel UHD and a dedicated GTX 1050, both as well. Pleas have a look into the nvidia settings. There could be settings in general and application specific ones, which graphics to use.

Its really possible that one of the graphics is not able to physically access the second (external) monitor port, hence keeping the external display black. I've read something similar but long ago.

mr.3xac7

yes, when I boot from linux live boot all is okay - display is working.
By the way, I have just done a 'windows restore' from the Windows setup USB drive. While clicking the box to keep all my files and programs. Unfortunately still have no positive results. The display is still not working.
Thank you for your idea, I will give a close look at all settings that are available. And will update this thread with the results.