Question / Help No MJPEG Available w/ C930e

katori

Hi all,

I searched this forum and Google but couldn't find anyone else having this problem. I just bought a Logitech C930e and installed the MS driver as suggested by many others, but OBS isn't exposing the MJPEG option in the settings for the camera. I have restarted the system several times.

I can get by with YUV by turning the resolution down, but I'd prefer to have the framerate and resolution as high as possible (already turned off low-light compensation off). Thanks for the input and sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

katori

And what happens with the logitech drivers?
It was the same with the Logitech drivers. I actually haven't noticed a difference between the two drivers, they both are about the same as far as framerate/resolution performance goes.

katori

There is no Logitech driver for the C930e, it's a generic UVC device. I just connected one to my Windows 10 desktop. Here's what I see.

https://www.mgraves.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/000847.png
Thanks for your response. I went back to the Logitech drivers, no change. Back to the MS drivers, no change. Installed FFDSHOW and made it the default for MJPEG, no change. MJPEG is still not exposed in OBS.

Since you have the same cam, is the framerate decent (~30fps or above) at 1080p? 1080p is really what I would prefer since I bought a 1080p camera.

I'm not at all certain what you mean by drivers? There is no Logitech driver for the C930e. They may offer some kind of utility, but as a generic UVC device only the OS driver gets used.

Perhaps try the demo version of vMix HD. Perhaps it can see the camera.

Yes, the C930e delivers 1080p30 reliably when using MJPEG or H.264. MJPEG has no latency. You won't get farmes rates over 30 f/s.

katori

I'm not at all certain what you mean by drivers? There is no Logitech driver for the C930e. They may offer some kind of utility, but as a generic UVC device only the OS driver gets used.

Perhaps try the demo version of vMix HD. Perhaps it can see the camera.

Yes, the C930e delivers 1080p30 reliably when using MJPEG or H.264. MJPEG has no latency. You won't get farmes rates over 30 f/s.
When I plugged in the camera, it also installed the Logitech drivers. When I go to device manager and select drivers for it, it displays the following:
http://i.imgur.com/6t6nngu.png

If I select the Logitech driver, Device Manager says the driver is created by Logitech, whereas it says the other driver is created by MS. But regardless, multiple places on and off this site have recommended to use the MS driver anyway.

Thanks for your responses. Hopefully something can be worked out. Maybe I should reinstall OBS?

EDIT: I deleted all drivers and plugged the camera back in, even switching USB ports. I then reinstalled OBS. No MJPEG. Do I need to install extra software/codecs to use MJPEG?

Last edited:

katori

On your advice, I installed vMix. The webcam itself is only exposing YUV, no matter what driver or USB port I use. Is there a possibility that my camera is defective? Or that the firmware was updated to only expose YUV? I attempted to update the firmware when I got the camera today, but was told that the firmware on the camera was ahead of the updater.

This is a little counter-intuitive.

The C920 has a very different driver, that includes a webcam utility by default. It doesn't rely upon the OS's UVC class driver. I don't use that since it sucks up a lot of CPU to do the auto-focus & RightLight functions.

On my system I force the C920 to use the core UVC driver, which reports as being from

Provider: Microsoft
Date: 6/21/2006
Version: 10.0.10240.16384

When I look at the C930e driver on my system I see.

Provider: Logitech
Date: 11/25/2015
Version: 1.1.89.0

Incidentally, both of those webcams deliver 1080p30 using MJPEG. Some say the C930e looks a little better. It certainly has a wider field of view.

On your advice, I installed vMix. The webcam itself is only exposing YUV, no matter what driver or USB port I use. Is there a possibility that my camera is defective? Or that the firmware was updated to only expose YUV? I attempted to update the firmware when I got the camera today, but was told that the firmware on the camera was ahead of the updater.

I expect that it's a driver issue. Can you try it on another system?

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
This happened to me with the Windows 10 anniversary update, including after a clean OS install and installing the latest Logitech webcam software. I just use XRGB now.

katori

This happened to me with the Windows 10 anniversary update, including after a clean OS install and installing the latest Logitech webcam software. I just use XRGB now.
Thanks, I'm definitely on Win 10 Anniversary, so that's probably the issue. Glad I didn't go through the trouble of returning the camera and/or reinstalling Windows.

What is XRGB? The only thing I see in OBS (and vMix) is YUV.

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
I'm using a C920 and not a C930e, so that might make a difference. I can pick between XRGB, I420, and YUY2 video formats.

I just installed the Windows 10 major update to my laptop. After that update the C930e is only able to use YUY2, which is uncompressed...so no 1080p30.

Curiously, the driver reports the same as I noted above. That implies that the problem lies somewhere in the OS, and not the driver. Looks like the broke their UVC driver.

I see the same behavior in vMix, Wirecast and SparkoCam. Looks like MS has busted something.

Last edited:

katori

I just installed the Windows 10 major update to my laptop. After that update the C930e is only able to use YUY2, which is uncompressed...so no 1080p30.

Curiously, the driver reports the same as I noted above. That implies that the problem lies somewhere in the OS, and not the driver. Looks like the broke their UVC driver.

I see the same behavior in vMix, Wirecast and SparkoCam. Looks like MS has busted something.
Yep, that looks like the case. I've ordered the C920 to see if I can use XRGB, if so, I'll return the C930e, at least until MS fixes this issue.

Jaxel

I can confirm this issue as well...

Yet another bullet point to the reasons not to upgrade to Windows 10 column.

It seems that Microsoft have taken notice of the issue. They've issued a statement clarifying what has happened and why. They've noted the complaint about breaking legacy apps and are working on a solution that will allow MJPEG in a coming release.

They rightly point to an opportunity for devs to leverage their new frame server which allows a webcam to be shared between apps at the OS level.

From the MSDN thread, here's registry hack that disables the new frame server mechanism, restoring MJPEG and H264 webcam functionality.

"This should restore pre-Windows 10 Anniversary Update behavior and unblock webcams experiencing the freezing-after-few-seconds issue:
Try opening up HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows Media Foundation\Platform and add a DWORD with name EnableFrameServerMode. Set its value to 0 and try again. For 64-bit apps (e.g. UWP Skype), use the same path above, minus WOW6432Node.

Put a sticky note on your monitor to revisit this if/when Microsoft issues a fix."

Sparky512TV

i create a dworth and the lagg issues still there. Any other option to fixx it under windows 10 with an c930e logitech webcam?