No controller input when launching OBS through Steam

NiceStickman

Hi everyone, first post in here.

It's not really that urgent but something that's been bothering me is how I cannot use my controller in other games at all whenever I have launched and left OBS Studio running through Steam.
I tried disabling the Steam Overlay & Input for the software and using third-party tools like DSX and DS4Windows to emulate XInput but I just get nothing out of my controller.
I know this used to be an issue with Steam in general, where you couldn't use a controller if you launched multiple games at the same time, but that has been fixed for quite a while now.
I'm currently using a shortcut that opens OBS through the .exe instead of Steam whenever I record/stream games with a controller.

AaronD

I'm currently using a shortcut that opens OBS through the .exe instead of Steam whenever I record/stream games with a controller.
I'd say to keep doing that. To my knowledge, OBS through Steam is not supported here, just like all of the other forks and variations that a free thing naturally gathers. Maybe the source of your variation provides its own support, in which case use that, otherwise, ditch it and use something that does, or the official version that you get from here.

There's also some value in using multiple machines instead of trying to do everything on just one, even if that one can handle it all. One is optimized for producing content, and the other is optimized for capturing it. HDMI from one, to a (good!) capture card on the other.