New Today

tonyadex

Hello. I'm totally new, and I think I have everything set up properly. My plan is to stream on YouTube today with a prerecorded short video on loop. I just want to make sure I know what to do and not do with my computer and screen when it's going. Do I need to keep my windows open and volume on? Can I do other things on the computer at the same time and just stream the uploaded video with it's audio? Thank you. Tonya

Lawrence_SoCal

the real answer is - it depends
Do I do other activities while OBS Studio is running in the background? absolutely.... BUT that is because I have check real-time hardware resource utilization many times, know exactly what OBS Studio, with my setup uses, and how much spare resources I have (lots).
Is you computer near the limit, and anything might push it in overload -sure. or not... it depends

No, you do NOT need to keep the OBS Studio preview window visible.. nor speaker volume turned on. BUT... if anything goes wrong and you can't see the OBS Studio window, you may not know your stream has ended
Speaker (physical) volume - not relevant to OBS Studio. Might a software volume control impact you stream depending on which audio source/capture you are using? yes. this is why one tests (including a livestream) ahead of time

tonyadex

Thank you so much. I finished, and kept the computer screen and audio on so I could keep peeking in. I had it on for 8 hours and for the most part it did pretty good. a few glitchy moments here and there, but I plan I looking at my settings again and tutorials about what settings to use. I appreciate your reply. ~Tonya