New to OBS, Want to screen capture without logging into an account

RickyO

Since I'm new, not even sure I'm posting in correct area; apologies if in wrong area, and let me know where I should be posting with beginner's questions. Thanks. I'm learning as I go, starting with screen capture and then planning on streaming at some point thereafter. I was hoping OBS would allow me to simply screen capture without registering an acvount. Is that possible? If so, how??

You might try a Help forum, since you aren't asking about software development.

What do you want to DO with the screen capture? OBS is generally used to either stream or record. You define one or more scenes, each of which might contain a screen capture, a camera image, some text, or a combination of sources. Then you stream the result to YouTube, Twitch etc. Or you record it to your local disk. To stream, you will need an account on the streaming service. To record, you just need a disk.

RickyO

Record to local disk. So far, in my first exposure to it,the app still required me to register with an acct such as google, microsoft, et al, even though I was just hoping to save an instructional online video to local disk. We all have to start somewhere, baby steps.

Also, I'm not seeing any forums marked as 'help' forums. Which ones would be appropriate?

Last edited:
OBS doesn't HAVE a registration. If you are using a browser source or browser dock in OBS, they use Chrome, which may ask you to log into gmail, but you should be able to ignore that.

If your source is "Windows Capture", specifying the program you want to capture, or "Display Capture", specifying the monitor you want to capture (presuming you have more than one), I wouldn't expect any request for registration

Did you install OBS from https://obsproject.com/? If you got it somewhere else, perhaps you got something skanky.

https://obsproject.com/forum/ has a list of forums. First three are support for Windows, Mac, and Linux