New Linux User - Can I Use Hardware Accelerated AV1 Encoder For YouTube Streams?

BluesAdam

Hi,

I currently have an Amd Rx 7600 GPU and used to use HW accelerated AV1 on Windows. Today finally made the call and switched to Fedora and the only confusion I have is the AV1 encoding settings on OBS (30.0.2 version downloaded from website).

The only options I have are:

AOM AV1
SVT-AV1

Now, which one of these (if any), are hardware accelerated option or is hardware accelerated AV1 encoding simply not available in Linux version of OBS yet? I would really appreciate it if you could clarify this question. Thank you in advance for replies!

Tiberium

Last edited:

Hrybochok

Hi,

for the moment, AV1 via Hardware is not official supported on Linux. Only via an Intel GPU. The two options you see, are software encoder with poor performance.

AV1 Hardware Encoder for AMD and NVIDIA is in progress for a future version of obs, there is the status of some work that is connected with it:
https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/pull/10137
and
https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/pull/10136
It needs testing.
By the chance, do you have any references regarding AV1 on ARC on Linux? I had zero success rate with this one

Tiberium

Hi,

I currently have an Amd Rx 7600 GPU and used to use HW accelerated AV1 on Windows. Today finally made the call and switched to Fedora and the only confusion I have is the AV1 encoding settings on OBS (30.0.2 version downloaded from website).

The only options I have are:

AOM AV1
SVT-AV1

Now, which one of these (if any), are hardware accelerated option or is hardware accelerated AV1 encoding simply not available in Linux version of OBS yet? I would really appreciate it if you could clarify this question. Thank you in advance for replies!
The (not yet official annouced) v30.1 beta will have AV1 over VAAPI. So it is coming. For Fedora you have to look out to the flatpak beta for testing --- DISCLOSER: I don't know if the flatpak have AV1, since it depends on the ffmpeg in the flatpak environment. When no, then you have to wait to the stable release of v30.1

Tiberium

After a little Chat in discord with a dev:
Flatpak build is buggy. So at the moment only manual build of the obs beta + linking ffmpeg 6.1 or higher, give you the AV1 over VAAPI option. Essential arch people have it a little bit easier, since there don't have to link another ffmpeg version explicit. Their system comes with higher as 6.1.x.
In the near future, the Arch AUR package obs-studio-rc will be updated with the v30.1beta 1. So on arch you can test the beta with AV1 over VAAPI (if you have 7000er XT)