Need some Guidance on setup in obs for streams PLEASE HELP!

Rapidkiller420

So I am setting up OBS and need some help with setting for my stream mainly for a Video game call dayz. I understand that it may not be perfect but from what i see on twitch it can be done at 1080 60 FPS with no issues. Currently I can record it Perfectly fine using obs but my bitrate for recording is set to 50,000KBPS, It records at 1080 60FPS and looks great.
During my stream it looks grainy at time pixelated when moving around. Every other game streams fine. I managed to lower the quality to 720 at 60 FPS and it looks okay not great but defiantly a improvement. My setup should not be limiting me at all, for I have a top of the Line Dual PC Setup. I am continue to test different settings until I find my issue but maybe someone out there already knows ! I would like to be able to stream at 1080 60 FPS. Even 720 60FPS would be okay if it was clear. I understand twitch caps Bitrate at 6,000 KBPS but i see other streams and they look great.

Im using a two PC setup So one PC is a dedicated Streaming PC and the other is my gamming PC I am using a Elgatoo HD60S capture card to get game video sound is being routed through my go xlr to the other PC.
My PC setup is
Game PC:
-intel core i9-10850K comet lake 10-core 3.6ghz LGA 1200 125w
-ASUS rog STRIX Z490-E GAMMING lga 1200 MOTHER BOARD
-750W ATX FULL MODULAR GAMING POWER SUPPLY 80 PLUS GOLD CERT. WITH SINGLE 12V RAIL AND SLI COMPATIBLE FOR CONITINUOS POWER.
-MUSETEX PHANTOM BLACK ATX MID TOWER GAMING CASE WITH 6PC 12 MM LED ARGB FANS PRE INSTALLED
-2x16BG XPG SPECTRIX D50 RGB RAM DDR4 3600MHz
-2 TB WD BLACK SN70 NVMe M.2 2280 PCI-EXPRESS 3.0 x 64 LAYER 3D NAND INTERNAL SOILD STATE DRIVE
-NVIDIA RTX 4070 TI
-1TB WD BLACK SN70 SSD
-1 TB SATA SSD
-500GB SATA SSD

Stream PC:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Precision 7750
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-10855M CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2808 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 63.6 GB
Available Physical Memory 52.8 GB
NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
Adapter Type Quadro RTX 5000, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA Quadro RTX 5000
Adapter RAM (1,048,576) bytes
Resolution 3840 x 2160 x 60 hertz

My internet connection is ethernet connected and is capping at 23.4 MBPS upload speed download is like 938 MBPS latency is 13 ms
Capture.PNG

2.PNG

equalf

streaming on nvenc on dual pc setup doesnt affect quality almost at 0 percent. i mean whats the point to have a dual pc if you not stream x264 slow-medium preset. try changing to x264 instead and see how it goes, slow presets will cause high cpu usage and so high cpu temps so keep that in mind too.
tl'dr : you gain nothing streaming nvenc from a dual pc setup cause it has its own dedicated "power" for streaming and a seperate one for gaming anyways.

most of the dual pc streamers you watch utilize 8000 bitrate and cpu encoding, x264

Xsoulsin

Streaming on Twitch is a lot different for each person, due to how far from server and ISP, ect. You could try do the Auto Config under Tools and allow to give a base line. Also after you run that Restart OBS and test. If you run into issues post a log for others to help, But make sure you have a streaming or recording done.

Here something that might help understand a little bit

AaronD

i mean whats the point to have a dual pc if you not stream x264 slow-medium preset.
It's amazing what "separation of duties" does!

Two specialized systems, instead of one general one that has to compromise for multiple jobs, and separate controls for each that don't conflict with each other, just to name a couple of benefits.

equalf

It's amazing what "separation of duties" does!

Two specialized systems, instead of one general one that has to compromise for multiple jobs, and separate controls for each that don't conflict with each other, just to name a couple of benefits.
i was refering on streaming with nvenc in a dual pc system with these kind of spects he has. not dual pc streaming in general. Using GPU encoding to a dedicated streaming pc is far from "specialized". you either dedicate a pre build streaming encoder such as nvenc on your gpu in a signle pc setup or you dedicate a whole seperate system in streaming using cpu ecnoding. As i said you win nothing using GPU encoder in a dedicated streaming pc in aspects of quality of streaming.

AaronD

i was refering on streaming with nvenc in a dual pc system with these kind of spects he has. not dual pc streaming in general. Using GPU encoding to a dedicated streaming pc is far from "specialized". you either dedicate a pre build streaming encoder such as nvenc on your gpu in a signle pc setup or you dedicate a whole seperate system in streaming using cpu ecnoding. As i said you win nothing using GPU encoder in a dedicated streaming pc in aspects of quality of streaming.
It's more than just the encoding that needs to compromise.

Yes, if there's a dedicated speck of silicon that does nothing else anyway, then it doesn't conflict with anything else to use that. But there are still compromises in how you get there, what the controls need to be to manage both without conflict, etc.

And it helps a lot with troubleshooting, to be able to completely eliminate something that has a different mindset, so that you only have to wear one hat at a time to make it work again, or for the first time. Serious live media production is like theater: it takes "a special breed" to do it well. So if that mindset has its own dedicated machine, and the gaming machine has no knowledge of it, you can keep those two things (mostly) compartmentalized.

Rapidkiller420

Okay so I will try and set it up for cpu encoding instead and see how that goes tonight…. I’ll set my bitrate to around 8,000
And play around with settings streaming to YouTube at 1080 60 frames since YouTube allows for higher bitrate then try twitch at 720 60 frames also set at 8000 bitrate but twitch will probably cap me at 6,000 I’ll test around with the settings and see what I can do I will also have the video if I notice any issues…. I will update you all with the specs i try with video results once done……

Rapidkiller420

I streamed to Twitch at 720 60 frames
link is to the log file i did adjust the frame rate back and forth a couple times from 5500 to 8000 cause twitch kept saying it was too high?
did look better with the cpu encoder i changed the CPU usage to medium and i got 12 % of cpu being used when streaming should i make this slower ?
Profile is high and tune is none with 2 s key frame interval

Rapidkiller420

I streamed to Twitch at 720 60 frames
link is to the log file i did adjust the frame rate back and forth a couple times from 5500 to 8000 cause twitch kept saying it was too high?
did look better with the cpu encoder i changed the CPU usage to medium and i got 12 % of cpu being used when streaming should i make this slower ?
Profile is high and tune is none with 2 s key frame interval
should i try 1080p ?

Rapidkiller420

After some adjustments I think Twitch just isn't enough bit rate for me to get a stream at 1080P that I want. Streamed to you tube ate these settings below and it actually looks good not grainy but my bit rate is at 12000 and cpu usage at fast to medium and only using 38% of cpu when play a demanding game like dayz

resolution is set at 1080 P at 60 FPS will leave it here and see how it goes with youtube

this is a test stream at these settings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6wDuBnfgtw&t=728s

Attachments

• 1704613252745.png
    1704613252745.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 64
  • obs setting now 1080 2.PNG
    obs setting now 1080 2.PNG
    27.2 KB · Views: 65
  • obs setting now 1080.PNG
    obs setting now 1080.PNG
    108.8 KB · Views: 64

equalf

6k of twitch bitrate is not enough for 1080 60fps, even 8k is not. you need around 12k but that is another story. Games with high foliage and motion like DayZ, Escape from Tarkov etc will always show a bit grainy specially on high motion. Therers no perfect streams.
keep pushing the preset lower untill you reach a point that cpu usage and temperatures throtle the productivity of cpu. the lower the better (slower>slow etc.)
I dont remember the tune option in you settings if it is like nvencs used to be, but if it has some default quality option you should try it. if it has quality and max quality i would still go for quality, at least thats what we used to do in NVENC when we had the options.
12k 1080 60p will be enough for a good quality stream.
Unfortunately i am completely anaware of settings for the capture card and what can you do to improve the quality on that side, if you can at the first place right. i hope some fellow dual pc setup give us some light on that dark area of capturing with external card.

Last edited:

equalf

The 1080p stream on youtube looks good overall but i think dayz could show a bit better but you where inside a high foliage area moving so not the best situation to compare quality. as i said it will always be kinda messed up in foliage with motion.

Rapidkiller420

The 1080p stream on youtube looks good overall but i think dayz could show a bit better but you where inside a high foliage area moving so not the best situation to compare quality. as i said it will always be kinda messed up in foliage with motion.
So Would you be able to explain this ? All 1080 60fps

I ran the auto config for obs with preference for x264 it came up with simple settings of
8750 KBPS
audio bit rate of 160
encoder software x264
preset fast

I ran the auto config for the nvidia hardware encoder nvenc
10000 KBPS
audio bit rate of 160
encoder software NVENC
preset P6

i ran the stream and the x264 looked okay better then with the nvidia hardware encoder but they are pretty close its only when i adjust the settings to advance and adjust some of the other settings is when the x264 really takes off and looks much much better ! its just that i ran two streams at the same settings one with a 8000 bit rate and one with a 8600 bit rate with x264 enocder and got two different outputs both looked great its just one lagged with dayz and the other didnt ? not sure why See settings below the one i Didnt see anything different with the lagged one compared to the one that worked other then the bit rate increase. the lagged one in obs showed 60 frames missed due to rendering lag and skipped frames do to encoding lag. When i increase the bit rate I didnt see any issues visually but I still got miss and skipped frames due to render lag and encoding lag ? should i decrease the preset ? Just dont know why is ran great once i increase the bit rate ?
video example : https://www.youtube.com/live/_39Of4jag4A?si=9hDSgaGi5z4mRL9d
8000 KBPS
audio bit rate of 160
encoder software x264
preset medium
keyframe interval 2 S
profile main
tune none

video example : https://youtu.be/9E_ID06pLY8
8600 KBPS
audio bit rate of 160
encoder software x264
preset medium
keyframe interval 2 S
profile main
tune none

The winning settings may need to adjust the preset guess i need more testing done while streaming and gaming I did increase my internet speeds to around 38 MBPS upload and 980 download

Video example :https://youtu.be/9E_ID06pLY8
8600 KBPS
audio bit rate of 160
encoder software x264
preset medium
keyframe interval 2 S
profile main
tune none

Rapidkiller420

I seem to have got lost in chasing numbers so I backed up a bit and started at a base auto config for both hardware NVENC and x264, This set it into simple mode then i cleared the log by restarting obs and running as admin, I then did two streams stopping each stream and copying the setting and log file here for review and analyzing my self before running the next stream. They are saved on youtube. Now I seem to have dropped lagged frames due to the encoder when running x264 at these base settings. It seems that the GPU encoder runs my video for dayz better then the CPU, It had not a single lagged frame and looks better when reviewing the videos. I did not change anything in the advance the log file and the link to each video and the settings are below, When you have time can you confirm that the GPU looks and runs smoother. Also are there any other setting in the advance tab i want to look into ? So far my thoughts are to run with the GPU settings and see how it goes ? Im trying right now to narrow down if i should use the x264 or the NVENC.
Capture card is a elgato HD60S

PS i did disable the HAGS in window as the analyzer said it may cause performance issues after this test. This test should show that HAGS is infact enabled.

Current settings in obs
https://obsproject.com/logs/z6SZQBvjBZVqVcBq
resolution 1920X1080 60FPS
Output mode: simple
video bitrate : 8750Kbps
Audio bitrate : 160
Video Encoder : Software (x264)
Encoder preset: fast (high CPU usage, High qualtiy)
Audio encoder : AAC
Video Example : https://www.youtube.com/live/KnBR-oQnTYI?si=vTgne1duMogZx3U8

https://obsproject.com/logs/BXniPoa9B97NQuc2
video bitrate : 10000Kbps
Video Encoder : Hardware (NVENC, H.264)
Encoder preset: P6:Slower (better Qaulity)
Video Example : https://www.youtube.com/live/QoFw5p7B2xk?si=dVej2tWfv9Ye9tfH

Rapidkiller420

I tired a few more settings and different bitrate then i stumbled upon someone telling me to upscale my 1920x1080 to 2650x1440 to get a better quality but i cant tell if its any better then then the 15,000 bit rate. I also cant tell if the 20,000 is any better then the 15,000
Is there a issue with having the bitrate at 15,000 i may keep it there for i see a better quality What do you guys think ?

With HAGS disabled

Changed Refresh rate of gameing monitor to 60hertz from 240
no change

Changing higher bitrate
video bitrate : 15,000Kbps

Changed to 20,000 bitrate
video bitrate : 20,000Kbps

Changed to 6800 bitrate
video bitrate : 6800Kbps

upscale to 1440
resolution 2560X1440 60FPS

Rapidkiller420

See my full test of bit rates in my play list on youtube

Finale settings are
https://obsproject.com/logs/67OOLbs94JCZRSBd
video bitrate : 15,000Kbps

I still see some streamers streaming dayz and other games i have tested streaming with crisp crisp images using 8,000 bit rate and 1920x1080 I see not one pixelated stream when watching twitch how can this be ? HOW !!!!! HOOOOOW !!!!!!!!!