Question / Help Multiple Video Capture cards of same name not working

Victor Dmitriev

I have five exactly the same video capture cards. They have the same Device_ID in the Windows 7 (64 bit) registry. They all simultaneously work stably for several hours at OBS Studio.
Hint: it is important to connect and configure each card in turn, one after another.
I started setting up a multi-camera configuration recently, there are other problems that have not yet been resolved.

BigYuckFou

try one device, if it works try two. if it works try three. adding any type of external hub wont increase the bandwidth of the final attached device. i would assume only one or two will work.

The only way is to get a better computer or dedicated streaming device that typically accept HDMI.

BensTechLab

My current capture card setup
Triple Avermedia Live Gamer 4K Internal
Single Avermedia Live Gamer Ultra External USB 3.0 Capture
This is exactly what I'm trying to do! Great find there on the overloaded USB bus. Internal is the way to go for high bandwidth (lots of sources, high res/framerate). Is there a reason you sold the Elgato brand devices and switched to Avermedia brand? I was considering 2-3 Elgato's right now (Like the internal 4k60 Pro MkII). I'm searching these forums for compatibility info before I drop coin on some capture cards.

rkmaddox

I am having a similar problem. Two different USB2 capture cards (though both show up as "USB Video") going at 1080p 30 fps plugged into a USB3.0 hub which plugged into a USB 3.0 port on my laptop. I can only get one to work at a time. When taking one and plugging directly into a different port on my laptop it still doesn't work so the hub isn't the problem.

The really weird thing is I can use both capture cards, simultaneously, in Zoom. One as the "me" camera and the other as a second camera in the advanced screen sharing screen showing my dry erase board desk setup. Both feeds are reliable and quality is good in Zoom. Any guesses why it won't work in OBS? Zoom is closed when I try OBS, so it doesn't seem to be a conflict between programs.

Edit: the capture cards do both work with OBS when deactivating when not viewing, but I am hoping to overlay me in the lower corner of the dry erase board. This is in Win10.

Last edited:

Tangential

It is very difficult (if not impossible) to get 2 video capture cards to work reliably on the same USB bus. Most notebooks and desktops have multiple USB buses. For notebooks its often a function of which side of the device. For desktops it can be the front ports vs the back ports. By plugging them both into a hub you are guaranteeing that they are on the same bus. I would try very hard to move one of them to a different USB bus.

rkmaddox

Thanks--I have done just this and it does not work. With one plugged into the bus into the USB3.0 on the left side of my laptop, and the other plugged into a USB-C converter in the USB-C jack on the other side of my laptop. Still works in Zoom, does not work in OBS.

Thecrishadow

I have the exact same problem, I have 2 USB video capture and when I connect them only works one, it's curious because OBS shows two "USB video" devices. But manycam it's showing the two USB video captures without problem at the same time.
I'm using Win10 and I tried the same configuration in a Mac book pro mid 2012, with the same USB hub, and OBS was working perfectly there.

obnew10

I have also the same problem, I can only use 1 USB video capture at the same time , but OBS shows two USB video devices. No idea why is this happening.

maximuz

Same problem here, very anoying, I still don't have a workaround

edit: found a workaround, same as i read a couple of post behind... try diferent USB Bus, definetly do not use USB Hub for both Capture Cards...

Last edited:

Hutch

I had the same issue on my laptop running 2 of the same capture cards. In Zoom both cards popped up and ran simultaneously but in OBS it wouldn't. My solution was dropping the cards from 1080x30 to 720x30. The change must have been below the USB Bus threshold as they run simultaneously now.