Multiple GoPro live Streaming

Skalnbrg

I’m trying to stream 2 GoPro 11’s using a MacBook Pro. I can run 1 of them without any problems but can’t get the 2nd GoPro to be recognized.

Lawrence_SoCal

Sorry 'MacBook Pro' doesn't tell anyone anything about the age/technical capabilities of that computer (which generation, CPU, RAM, etc)

Note the pinned post in this forum regarding asking for help when you have a problem (link to similar article in my .sig)
And your issue sounds like the typical USB Root Hub overload situation, so searching on that phrase should point to related discussions

Skalnbrg

Sorry 'MacBook Pro' doesn't tell anyone anything about the age/technical capabilities of that computer (which generation, CPU, RAM, etc)

Note the pinned post in this forum regarding asking for help when you have a problem (link to similar article in my .sig)
And your issue sounds like the typical USB Root Hub overload situation, so searching on that phrase should point to related discussions
The MacBook Pro is a ‘22 with the M2 processor, 8GM.

I’ll search USB Root Hub overload. Thanks. I’m highly frustrated as it doesn’t seem like it would be this difficult. We bought the Mac with the sole intention of running 2 GoPro 11’s live for kids hockey games and the season is starting soon.

Lawrence_SoCal

Understood... but what you are trying to do (real-time video compositing with multiple, external cameras) is unmistakably outside Apple's walled garden. So... you are likely to have to get into technical details. it is most likely NOT going to be simple/ plug 'n play. Most likely it will work, though the M2 chip has serious limitations, especially once you get outside that walled garden. you'll probably need to research which video codecs the GoPro supports, and which of those have encode/decode offload built into CPU/GPU (and sometimes the details on that stuff even makes my head hurt.. on a bad day... it isn't that bad, but the details matter... and emotional desire for something to work does not) or at least put the least resource demands on the M2

With that said, I believe the M2 supports Thunderbolt 3 (or 4), so 2 GoPros _should_ be fine ... depending
What resolution and frame rate are you using on the GoPro's, and how EXACTLY are you connecting the GoPros to the M2 Mac? Are you using a docking station? What are you doing for real-time thermal and system utilization monitoring of the Mac?
Hopefully you know better than to use WiFi for camera to computer, nor computer to streaming platform (or have a network engineer level expert who can assist in setup... that is, WiFi can work, but not reliably with standard consumer/default setups unless your computer is the ONLY WiFi device around (300-500 meters)... which is almost never the case, so back to well thought out setup with Quality of Service and noisy neighbor prevention approaches implemented)

Skalnbrg

Understood... but what you are trying to do (real-time video compositing with multiple, external cameras) is unmistakably outside Apple's walled garden. So... you are likely to have to get into technical details. it is most likely NOT going to be simple/ plug 'n play. Most likely it will work, though the M2 chip has serious limitations, especially once you get outside that walled garden. you'll probably need to research which video codecs the GoPro supports, and which of those have encode/decode offload built into CPU/GPU (and sometimes the details on that stuff even makes my head hurt.. on a bad day... it isn't that bad, but the details matter... and emotional desire for something to work does not) or at least put the least resource demands on the M2

With that said, I believe the M2 supports Thunderbolt 3 (or 4), so 2 GoPros _should_ be fine ... depending
What resolution and frame rate are you using on the GoPro's, and how EXACTLY are you connecting the GoPros to the M2 Mac? Are you using a docking station? What are you doing for real-time thermal and system utilization monitoring of the Mac?
Hopefully you know better than to use WiFi for camera to computer, nor computer to streaming platform (or have a network engineer level expert who can assist in setup... that is, WiFi can work, but not reliably with standard consumer/default setups unless your computer is the ONLY WiFi device around (300-500 meters)... which is almost never the case, so back to well thought out setup with Quality of Service and noisy neighbor prevention approaches implemented)
I found out the GoPros won’t connect to the Mac through wireless connection so we have them both hardwired through the 2 usb-c ports. As far as connecting to the internet to stream that will have to be wireless unfortunately as the ice rinks we will be using them only have that option. I can use my Verizon 5G LTE but really the streaming part of this is besides the point if I can’t get both cameras to be recognized simultaneously. So first priority is getting both GoPros working together.

Skalnbrg

I found out the GoPros won’t connect to the Mac through wireless connection so we have them both hardwired through the 2 usb-c ports. As far as connecting to the internet to stream that will have to be wireless unfortunately as the ice rinks we will be using them only have that option. I can use my Verizon 5G LTE but really the streaming part of this is besides the point if I can’t get both cameras to be recognized simultaneously. So first priority is getting both GoPros working together.
Would you suggest using a Surface instead of a MacBook? Or can you suggest a laptop/tablet that would work under $1000?

Lawrence_SoCal

Would you suggest using a Surface instead of a MacBook?
No.. a Surface is thermally throttled in similar manner, and it depends on way more technical details to know which would be better suited.

As you said, see if you can get both GoPros working at same time. sorry, not my thing, so I don't have any more specific advice. Hopefully someone else might chime in. Though for testing purposes,
- any chance of testing with a different model GoPro (make sure issue isn't 2 of same device, and some device ID issue)
- Have you adjusted resolution on GoPros to make sure not overloading system?