Multiple (03) issues: OBS Ver: 29.1.3 (64 bit) \ "Stale Preview", "Stopping Recording", "Encoder Error" with at least one documented crash.

query-01

With the first install of OBS, after a few times of usage within twenty-four hours, we began to experience OBS refusing to stop recording; image below.
OBS_will_not_stop_recording_cr.png

... each time this "Stopping Recording" presented itself, 'Task Manager'\'End Task' was employed. Ultimately, after a few more of these 'Stopping Recording' issues, OBS crashed.
There is a crash-log: Snippet ...
Unhandled exception: 80000003
Date/Time: 2023-10-19, 07:59:06
Fault address: 7FFD1EB9AA42 (c:\program files\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs.dll)
libobs version: 29.1.3 (64-bit)
Windows version: 10.0 build 22621 (release: 22H2; revision: 2428; 64-bit)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7940HS w/ Radeon 780M Graphics
------------------------------------
'Stale' or 'leftover' preview images: These stale previews would persist\remain even after deleting all sources. If I remember correctly, to temporarily solve the 'this' issue, we deleted all sources then, restarted OBS; the stale preview was gone. Re_adding the sources as needed; the problem returned in a short period.

This image was captured after I regained control of OBS; post crash. Note-01: There are no source's.
OBS_Post_Crash.png

Given the crash and repeated returns of 'stale' preview images, without any supporting sources, we un/reinstalled OBS; 20231020.
----------------------------------

With a fresh install of OBS, now the fun begins; displayed in the image below ...
Encoding_Error_cr.png

OBS refuses to record, presenting its user with the above error, each and every time the 'Start Recording' button is pressed. The attempt to resolve only this 'encoding error' = Settings\Output\, scroll to Recording\'Video Encoder', from Hardware (AMD,H.264) to Software (x264); currently testing the results.

From the log file ...
16:25:12.174: ==== Recording Start ===============================================
16:25:12.174: [ffmpeg muxer: 'simple_file_output'] Writing file 'C:/Users/IGT/Desktop/OBS_TEMP/2023-10-22_16-25-12.mkv'...
16:25:33.698: Device Remove/Reset! Rebuilding all assets...
16:25:38.248: Device Remove/Reset! Rebuilding all assets...
16:25:44.232: Device Remove/Reset! Rebuilding all assets...
16:25:44.361: Device Remove/Reset! Rebuilding all assets...
16:25:44.367: [texture-amf-h264: 'simple_video_recording'] amf_encode_tex: OpenSharedResource failed: 0x80070057
16:25:44.367: Error encoding with encoder 'simple_video_recording'
16:25:44.370: [ffmpeg muxer: 'simple_file_output'] Output of file 'C:/Users/IGT/Desktop/OBS_TEMP/2023-10-22_16-25-12.mkv' stopped
16:25:44.370: Output 'simple_file_output': stopping
16:25:44.370: Output 'simple_file_output': Total frames output: 1924
16:25:44.370: Output 'simple_file_output': Total drawn frames: 1921 (1931 attempted)
16:25:44.370: Output 'simple_file_output': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 10 (0.5%)
16:25:44.371: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 10/1929 (0.5%)
16:25:44.371: ==== Recording Stop ================================================

Focusing on only local 'recording', since the above 'Video Encoder' change, there isn't any sign of odd behavior (yet). Certainly nothing like the three issues above. Although there has been one instance, when using a 'media source', the sound of a persons words developed an echo; the original does not have this echo. I'll try to reproduce with the same video-clip and another clip from the same camera channel, --to ensure the settings are identical, --without changing any OBS settings.

Here are some more spec's and/or data for the engineering authors:
There is a disabled dedicated Nvida. Purposely disabled in a search for an associated, yet unrelated, latency concern. 2) The integrated 'AMD Radeon(TM) 780M | Driver Ver: 31.0.14003.38003, is the current offering from the machines OEM. Per an AMD posting, on the AMD web-site, we have no plans to install any updated drivers from AMD, unless offered via the machines OEM. 3) We installed OBS after Nvidia was disabled.

From the AMD support page ...
"Important Note for Laptop and All-In-One (AIO) PCs
AMD recommends OEM-provided drivers which are customized and validated for their system-specific features and optimizations.
If you experience issues using the AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition driver package downloaded from AMD.com, please install the OEM-provided drivers for full support and compatibility."

I hope this description was sufficient. I'm worried that using the 'Software x264' may cause some sort of delay with encoding. First thing that comes to mind is the echo I mentioned earlier. Feedback?

Respectfully

Attachments

• Encoding_Error.png
    Encoding_Error.png
    168.8 KB · Views: 13

AaronZ

Hey, did you ever find a solution to this issue? I just yesterday got a mini PC with the 7940HS and the above is happening. I'm tempted to install Windows 10 to see if its an 11 problem or not.

query-01

Hey, did you ever find a solution to this issue? I just yesterday got a mini PC with the 7940HS and the above is happening. I'm tempted to install Windows 10 to see if its an 11 problem or not.
@AaronZ , This post is two months old, I'll have to check my notes. To help me save time, in order to help you, tell me which of my multiple concerns within this thread are you experiencing? I may have done different things to address and/or resolve partial or all of it. I honestly don't remember without reviewing my notes.

I'm running an MSI box with Win-11\Home, may have differences compared to your rig. OBS 29.1.3 (64 bit) is the same version I originally posted about and is currently running without the issues in the original post. Let me know if you want to continue.

AaronZ

Alright firstly thanks for getting back to me so quickly lol

My Specs / Info:

Minisforum UM790 Pro
AMD 7940HS with 780m Radeon iGPU
Kingston Fury 64GB DDR5 5600mhz
2TB NVMe WD Black
Windows 11 Education (went with this because least bloatware apparently, though it might be missing something OBS needs?)
OBS 30.0.2 64 bit (installed, not portable) - latest version as of making this post
CoreAudio AAC codec installed (via itunes)

So last night I quickly setup OBS with all my scenes copied over from my old laptop, made the profile from scratch though. Initially I noticed some flickering on the OBS preview, I played about with some stuff on my scene and then the preview locked up completely. I thought it might just be because I hadnt installed the AMD "Adrenaline Software" from https://www.amd.com/en/support/apu/...processors-radeon-graphics/amd-ryzen-9-7940hs, so I did that and it seemed alright, didn't see anymore flickering on the preview at least.

Then I started streaming, all seemed well, 0.4% CPU usage in OBS, HWinfo running at the side, everything staying around 40-45C, perfect. But then all of a sudden after about 30 mins of streaming, a popup saying about an encoding error, and the stream had stopped. I clicked start streaming again and it just wouldn't connect, saying the bitrate was 0kbps in the bottom right. Tried to do a local recording and the encoding error message just kept popping up. I thought maybe it was the AMD encoder, so I switched over to x264 (CPU encoding) and it still wouldn't do anything.

Just now I have been doing a local recording of Fallout New Vegas and again after about 20 mins the preview has glitched out, what was a 1280X720 canvas has oddly zoomed in on itself (it looks like the transform of the Game Capture has resized itself, but this is not the case, transform is still set to 1280X720). The recording itself was unaffected, even in OBS, taking a preview screenshot looks normal.

Preview Screenshot.png

Print Screen.png

I didn't have that encoding error happen again though, perhaps it only occurs when streaming. But yeah basically everything from your initial post has happened / is happening. I've been encoding videos (outside of OBS) with ffmpeg and no errors or crashes etc. have happened, its definitely something with OBS. Attached log file of this session but the ecoding error thing didn't popup, I'll try doing another test stream and see if I can trigger it. Thanks again.

Attachments

• Log.txt
    19.8 KB · Views: 9

query-01

Alright firstly thanks for getting back to me so quickly lol

My Specs / Info:

Minisforum UM790 Pro
AMD 7940HS with 780m Radeon iGPU
Kingston Fury 64GB DDR5 5600mhz
2TB NVMe WD Black
Windows 11 Education (went with this because least bloatware apparently, though it might be missing something OBS needs?)
OBS 30.0.2 64 bit (installed, not portable) - latest version as of making this post
CoreAudio AAC codec installed (via itunes)
@AaronZ , comparing our machine spec's, there's clearly a difference; I use a laptop. My notes say that I did a "Reset PC" --using the option to "Keep Personal files"; <-- [the wording may not be exactly what I typed]. With my box, the option "Keep Personal files", also retained the installed version of my drivers; removed *all* third-party applications.

2) During the reinstall process, the absolute first chance available, I did not allow the box Inet connection.
2a) Suspended Windows update to the max allowed.

NOTE: all my drivers are stock OEM drivers. Reason: AMD posted a note for laptop users that recommends, --laptops to 'not' update to any drivers that are not provided by the OEM. I applied that recommendation system-wide.

3) Created a 'Restore Point, 3a) Reinstalled 'my' version of OBS, 3b) Created another 'Restore Point'.

What I described above was completed on 20231028, the system is running more stable than ever, with OBS being error free; to this point in time. Previous attempts at troubleshooting wasted too-much time, not resolving anything for the haul. The issues in my original post did not start until I purchased a new\unused machine with Win-11\Home then applied all available OS updates. The issues did not happen with two other laptops running Win-10\Home 02-year old machine, Win-10\Pro 10-year old machine --both fully up-to-date.

I continue to not updated this Win-11\Home OS. For me, "if it ain't not broke, don't fix it". If you can find the time, follow the above then, run the box, as-long-as other items don't require the most recent OS updates to be installed. Our OBS only does local recording; no streaming, no scenes.

AaronZ

I know we had different systems since you also mentioned you have an Nvidia, its just that you were also using the 7940HS, and this is the only topic I found regarding that APU. So basically I reinstalled Windows 11 but this time I installed Home, which is usually what these mini PCs ship with. Fully updated everything through Windows update and it seems to have fixed the issue, so for me the problem was Windows 11 Education, which must be missing something that this iGPU needs.

I checked the Minisforum OEM drivers and they were all dated June 2023, and people over on reddit were saying they use the generic AMD Adrenaline driver, so I just stuck with that, so far everything is working after a 1 hour test, though I haven't tried streaming yet and time will tell if its fixed or I'm just lucky right now. One thing that always seemed to trigger the glitch within like 10 seconds was adding a media source and dragging it around the preview, right now I have the same media source running alongside Fallout, 0.3% CPU usage while recording with AMD H264, no problems for now.

AaronZ

Okay, another update, and this time I've narrowed it right down, to most likely my capture card. So from my testing yesterday, I was just doing game capture and media source, nothing else (although the PC has a build in mic that was running during this test as well). Today, I attached my USB3 hub which has both my microphone (Blue Yeti) and capture card (Startech USB3HDCAP); this particular capture card has had awful driver support from day one, people have even made custom ones. At first everything runs perfectly, but as soon as you reboot, the problems start. For whatever reason, Windows seems to see the devices attached to different USB ports, sometimes this would happen when I cleaned my desk area and reattached my devices to the hub but to different ports rather than the exact same ones.

The mic would some up as
"2 - USB Audio Device" rather than just "USB Audio Device"
and the capture card would basically need to be readded to OBS as a new Video Capture Device.

Both of these things happened after a simple reboot with no alterations to drivers or unplug/replug happening. Right now I'm testing under Windows 10 (my third OS install lol), and this has not happened. The mic is a simple plug and play device and the USB3 hub is the same I guess? Neither one has its own drivers anyway, so that narrows it down to either one of/or two things:

1. The capture card drivers are messy with Windows 11
2. Windows 11 has some new USB power saving mode or something.

I remember reading about needing to turn off the "Windows fast reboot" thing under power options, not related to this capture card but I wonder if that might be a thing that is scrambling USB devices on boot? I think at this point I'd be better asking on Windows support forums. Thanks for trying to help.

AaronZ

Okay well scratch all that, it started bugging out the preview in Windows 10 also which is what I've been using it with on my old laptop, Back to square one. Will try OBS 29.1.3 next under Windows 11 again.

query-01

Okay well scratch all that, it started bugging out the preview in Windows 10 also which is what I've been using it with on my old laptop, Back to square one. Will try OBS 29.1.3 next under Windows 11 again.
You are going to hurt yourself; calm down.Look at the steps I outlined to resolve my issues. I.E. Reset PC to OEM install, no win-updates, install updated OEM drivers, install OBS then take OBS for a few laps; focus on getting OBS stable. Once stable, create a restore point, install your game(s), retain all the OEM drivers, test drive, OBS, game(s). If all runs smooth --create a restore point. *If* needed, here's where *I* would begin with Windows-Update and Device-Drivers.

Should anything break during the update adventure, Use your restore points.

Another thought --find out what build of the OS ,your preferred OBS version was built and/or tested with. Seems like the first option wastes less time.

AaronZ

I think I have figured something out, it seems to be a mixture of OBS Preview + DirectShow devices being displayed. Do you use a webcam or other video capture device that doesn't use its own drivers (instead running through DirectShow)? Because it would seem like it only bugs out the preview for me when one of my capture cards is running. What happens is, it will skip frames and eventually the preview will freeze (I'm not even recording while this is happening, and it happens within a couple of minutes), disabling the preview stops this from happening.

I tested the capture card in VLC and this didn't happen at all, so its definitely an OBS bug at this point (and somewhat AMDs GPU driver, I get different results with the OEM one as seen above with the Fallout "zoom in" thing, but besides OBS I've had no issues with it in any games or other applications).

The log showed an interesting entry here:

Code:
04:01:49.770: Device Remove/Reset!  Rebuilding all assets...
04:01:50.120: Device Remove/Reset!  Rebuilding all assets...
04:01:50.554: Device Remove/Reset!  Rebuilding all assets...
04:01:50.920: device_vertexbuffer_create (D3D11): Failed to create buffer (887A0005)
04:01:50.920:   Device Removed Reason: 887A0006
04:01:50.920: device_draw (D3D11): No vertex buffer specified
04:01:50.921: Device Remove/Reset!  Rebuilding all assets...
04:01:51.304: Device Remove/Reset!  Rebuilding all assets...
04:01:51.721: Device Remove/Reset!  Rebuilding all assets...

Not sure if the dev team ever checks these forums or where this can be shown to them, I know these chips are still fairly new so not many people have them for testing.

I could look into the Linux build of OBS which of course doesn't use DirectShow, see if anything different happens there, but as for Windows, I think it doesn't matter what version you have since it still happened in 10, so we can assume all version of 11 have this problem.

Attachments

• 2024-01-03 04-00-10.txt
    17.6 KB · Views: 9

query-01

@AaronZ , remember when I previously posted --to not hurt yourself? Are you feeling it yet? If you do find a bug, how is that going to help your immediate goal? I only use local recording to locally connected usb connected hdd's; I.E. just the basics. If my post is describing the same issues as with your experience, then after resetting the PC, my issue has not returned for two months, why would I look any further --if all aspects of my usage are working?

If you applied my steps and are still having issues then more likely it's task for the authors.

P0ng_0064

@AaronZ ,
I had the same problem as you a few days ago and now I've found an imperfect solution. My native language is not English, so this reply is Google translated.
My computer is also a Ryzen 7840HS w/ Radeon 780M mini PC. I speculate that the cause of the problem is that the AMD driver is incompatible with OBS. I saw 0x887A0006 (DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG) in the error message and went to GitHub to search for this exception. Although I didn't find the exact same exception, I found an exception that also started with DXGI_ERROR in the source code of libobs-d3d11.
Then this bug must be related to d3d11. The Direct3D 11 option can be seen in OBS Settings->Advanced->Video->Renderer.
1704888893921.png
OBS supports two Renderers: D3D11 and OpenGL, but OpenGL is hidden by default due to performance reasons. You can re-enable it by adding --allow-opengl to the OBS shortcut startup parameters.
1704888914395.png

My problem was solved after using OpenGL as Renderer. I don't know if this is suitable for your situation. Although this will reduce performance, it is better than crashing.

AaronZ

@AaronZOBS supports two Renderers: D3D11 and OpenGL, but OpenGL is hidden by default due to performance reasons. You can re-enable it by adding --allow-opengl to the OBS shortcut startup parameters.
Wow I didnt get a notification but thanks for sharing. Earlier I decided to download and test Twitch Broadcast Studio which is okay but its nowhere near OBS with functionality, even so I did a 2+ hour stream with no problem, but now I'll definitely try this.

Do you use a webcam and/or capture card? I noticed it seemed to bug out much faster with some kind of video input device, usually within 10 mins I would get some kind of "vertex renderer" message popping up in the log.

Anyway I've got it running right now with opengl, no skipped/lagged frames, no errors in log, I think this is the solution!

What do you mean by reduced performance? I'm guessing more CPU usage? I noticed my CPU in the Twitch Broadcast Studio was around 5-6%, and now with opengl OBS is around 2-3% as opposed to 0.5% with D3D11. But yeah I mean, I don't mind so long as it works.