Question / Help monitors not going to sleep while recording

madLyfe

i was wondering why my monitors no longer go to screensaver and then to sleep while im recording an monitor? i record for long hours at a time and would like to have them function normally without manually switching them all off and on when im back at the desk.

madLyfe

i have figured out a way to record what i want while my computer is in a locked state, but something with OBS is keeping my monitors from then going into screen saver and sleep from there. anyone have any idea how to get around this?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Probably because OBS is still trying to record them. I would think that if the monitors go to sleep, nothing will render to them. You won't be able to record your monitors if they go to sleep, so they are prevented from going to sleep.

madLyfe

Probably because OBS is still trying to record them. I would think that if the monitors go to sleep, nothing will render to them. You won't be able to record your monitors if they go to sleep, so they are prevented from going to sleep.

i forgot to mention that im recording a window and not the monitor.

FerretBomb

Same thing. If the window isn't being rendered, it won't be updated on an OS level, so can't be recorded by OBS. Regardless of capture method. Same thing with why minimized windows can't be recorded... Windows stops updating them.

madLyfe

Same thing. If the window isn't being rendered, it won't be updated on an OS level, so can't be recorded by OBS. Regardless of capture method. Same thing with why minimized windows can't be recorded... Windows stops updating them.

im not sure about that? if i record a window or a selected region in xsplit my computer can lock, monitors screen saver and then go to sleep and the recording is fine. also i tested in OBS that if i manually lock my computer and turn the monitors off while recording a window it continues to record just fine.