Bug Report Monitor (actual) Output Audio

ukie

The current audio monitoring options do not allow you to hear exactly what is being sent to the output.
Even when "Monitor & Output" option is enabled for all the audio sources in Advanced Audio Properties, the audio monitoring behavior is strange, to say the least.
You do not actually hear the audio transitions (fades) as you switch from scene to scene. The audio monitoring just abruptly stops (e.g. VLC audio source). When using an external audio source (usb mixer), even though that source is not active in a given scene, you can still hear it when monitoring is turned on.
We need a simple way to monitor exactly what is being sent to the output of OBS.

Brew

Yes I'm having the same problem, my setup is some 'pre-show' music coming from Qlab looped back by iShowU two live contributors via NDI (Skype running on other computers) and irrespective of the scene all three of these audio sources are live on the monitoring programme output even if the source is not part of the active scene.

What I would expect is the monitor output to be the Programme out, that is the audio coming to the monitor out is exactly what is going to the stream. What is happening sadly is a sum of all the audio sources.

Silicon_Knight

I agree. What is needed is a feature for sending the final audio feed to a local device, similar to the "Projection" feature for the final video feed.

Narcogen

There was a proposal to entirely revamp audio handling in OBS awhile back. I believe it failed to get sufficient support from the project maintainers for integration into OBS. I, for one, would have welcomed it.

ukie

I don’t think this should be categorized as a feature request. Monitoring actual output audio is essential for any live production.
The current audio behavior is sporadic and strange, at best. There is an option to select monitor/output under the audio mixer, but it does not reflect what is happening at a higher level, like transitions.

Narcogen

Because all audio monitoring currently in OBS is input monitoring and not output monitoring.

So if you want output monitoring, that would be a new feature.

I'm not defending the current behavior, and I was absolutely in favor of the revamp. But it is still a feature request and not a support request.