Question / Help MoH: Allied Assault - Black Screen?

shadowoflight

Trying to record an old game...the sound works but nothing appears in the video. Does not work for game or window capture.

I'm assuming that's something to do with what I read somewhere about directx 8 games?

Has there been a workaround for this?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
I believe you came into the webchat after posting this. Yes, Game capture currently can't capture DX8 and earlier games. The standard solution, then would be to run the game in Windowed mode and use Window capture...I don't know why that wouldn't work.

You can also try using DxTory and its Directshow output to bring that into OBS to stream. Short of that, the only other solution I know of is to use a capture card.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Er wait, if MOHAA is OpenGL, then Game Capture should be able to capture it. Windowed mode should be able to capture it, too. Are you sure it's running in OpenGL mode?

shadowoflight

really? that's weird, I was reading a couple of posts about how q3 based titles like the old call of duty and mohaa is opengl even though they stated it required directx 8

shadowoflight

ok I just tried obs again..

if the game was playing a video, the screen will just get stuck and fade from white to black and white again unless I stop OBS.

the main menu and loading screen works, but once it enters into the actual game, only the sound is recorded.

oh I tried dxtory..it would crash the game when I press the key to start recording lulz

I sincerely hope there's a plan to add directx8 support in the future...don't wanna use another program XD

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I do plan to implement directx 7 and 8 but I just have other higher priorities still. The rewrite, then device support

shadowoflight

Jim said:
I do plan to implement directx 7 and 8 but I just have other higher priorities still. The rewrite, then device support

awesome Jim!

Please, no rush, do what you need to do.

Though faster would be better of course.

XD

grinder

Hi,

I tried to use OBS with MOHAA a few days ago but I experienced the very same issue: screen is black I can hear only the sounds. Actually at the upper right corner of the screen a tiny part of the game can be seen during the stream but 95% of the screen is still black.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.