Bug Report Minecraft FPS drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehlak

Hey, first of all, fantastic software, I'm blown away by the performance.

Just one issue, and it's with Minecraft.
I get a 50% fps loss in the game with just OBS running, not even streaming. As soon as I turn OBS off my FPS pops up again.

When I go fullscreen however, I get no FPS loss, but then OBS blackscreens.

It doesn't matter if I use game capture or software capture, since as I mentioned above, I lose FPS by just opening OBS.

I've only encountered this issue in Minecraft so far.

Any idea what it could be?

Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work!

paibox

heros in an halfshel
It's hard to say for sure since you didn't post a log, but my guess would be that you're using monitor capture in Windows 7 with Aero on as a global source, since that can impact game framerate quite a bit just by having OBS running. If you do have a global source that is software capture (monitor capture), remove it and restart OBS, and then only use a local source like that in scenes where you really need it.

Ehlak

Not using Monitor Capture. Tried both Game Capture and Sofware Capture but as I said, I don't even have to start streaming for the frames to drop. And Aero is disabled.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Normally, when you add a source to a scene, the source is only loaded when that scene is selected. If you select another scene and switch away, then that source is unloaded to save resources.

However, if you want to use the same source in 2 different scenes, you'd want to not have to keep loading and unloading the same source; you'd want to just keep it always loaded once, and use the same resources in each scene.

If you set up a source as a Global source, then it is loaded once and is not unloaded even if you switch to a difference scene, so that you can reuse it in multiple scenes without duplicating anything.

The fact that you don't know what global sources are tells me that you probably don't have any, so your problem might not be what paibox suggested.

Can you post a log? In OBS, go to Settings > Open Log folder and upload the most recent one (or whichever one corresponds to the problems you are describing).

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
TangoSheep said:
Simple solution, buy a better PC. Minecraft works at 60+ fps on my PC while streaming on a screen capture.
That's not really a solution, though. He says he is getting an FPS drop with OBS just being open and not streaming or previewing. That tells me that there is something odd going on. I want to see a log to see if there's anything out of the ordinary.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
He has yet to even state his PC specs. For all we know he could have a beast of a machine and be getting problems. As much as I would love to tell people to get PC parts that don't suck, that's not always the most feasible solution

TangoSheep

Jim said:
He has yet to even state his PC specs. For all we know he could have a beast of a machine and be getting problems. As much as I would love to tell people to get PC parts that don't suck, that's not always the most feasible solution
I guess so, but I am stating a simple guess. If he has not posted them yet then he may well have a netbook. We don't know that yet.

Ehlak

My computer specs are perfectly decent. Not high-end but I can stream pretty much all games (except minecraft) in smooth 60fps at 720p without losing any frames.

Here's the latest log for Minecraft:

Code:
Open Broadcaster Software v0.466a - 64bit ( ^ω^)
-------------------------------
CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
CPU Speed: 3292MHz
Physical Memory:  8174MB Total, 4645MB Free
stepping id: 7, model 10, family 6, type 0, extmodel 1, extfamily 0, HTT 1, logical cores 4, total cores 4
Windows Version: 6.1 Build 7601 S
Aero is Disabled
------------------------------------------
Adapter 1
  Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti  
  Video Adapter Dedicated Video Memory: 1025966080
  Video Adapter Shared System Memory: 3221106688
=====Stream Start=====================================================================
  Multithreaded optimizations: On
  Base resolution: 1280x720
  Output resolution: 1280x720
Loading up D3D10...
Using 7.1 surround speaker setup (experimental)
Using auxilary audio input: Microphone (Logitech G930 Headset)
Audio Encoding: AAC
    bitrate: 192
Using graphics capture
Video Encoding: x264
    fps: 60
    width: 1280, height: 720
    preset: veryfast
    CBR: no
    max bitrate: 2750
    buffer size: 2750
    quality: 10
using memory capture
Total frames rendered: 36, number of frames that lagged: 0 (0.00%) (it's okay for some frames to lag)
=====Stream End=======================================================================
=====Stream Start=====================================================================
  Multithreaded optimizations: On
  Base resolution: 1280x720
  Output resolution: 1280x720
Loading up D3D10...
Using 7.1 surround speaker setup (experimental)
Using auxilary audio input: Microphone (Logitech G930 Headset)
Audio Encoding: AAC
    bitrate: 192
Using graphics capture
Video Encoding: x264
    fps: 60
    width: 1280, height: 720
    preset: veryfast
    CBR: no
    max bitrate: 2750
    buffer size: 2750
    quality: 10
using memory capture
Using RTMP service: Twitch / Justin.tv
  Server selection: ﯀
bufferTime: 2195, outputRateWindowTime: 1000, dropThreshold: 2695
Total frames rendered: 2498, number of frames that lagged: 5 (0.20%) (it's okay for some frames to lag)
RTMPPublisher::SocketLoop: Aborting due to bStopping
Number of b-frames dropped: 0 (0%), Number of p-frames dropped: 0 (0%), Total 0 (0%)
=====Stream End=======================================================================

Profiler results:

==============================================================
frame - [100%] [avg time: 6.115 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1] [children: 62.7%] [unaccounted: 37.3%]
| scene->Preprocess - [0.0654%] [avg time: 0.004 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1]
| video encoding and uploading - [62.6%] [avg time: 3.83 ms] [avg calls per frame: 1] [children: 21.2%] [unaccounted: 41.5%]
| | CopyResource - [0.392%] [avg time: 0.024 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
| | conversion to 4:2:0 - [1.37%] [avg time: 0.084 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
| | call to encoder - [19.2%] [avg time: 1.177 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
| | sending stuff out - [0.164%] [avg time: 0.01 ms] [avg calls per frame: 0]
==============================================================

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Sorry for not responding, thanks for bumping.

Can you try capturing with Window Capture and turning Aero on? Window capture works best with Aero on, and having it off can actually cause problems unless you are using Monitor capture. It's worth a shot at least.

JP_Stitch

Hey, first of all, fantastic software, I'm blown away by the performance.

Just one issue, and it's with Minecraft.
I get a 50% fps loss in the game with just OBS running, not even streaming. As soon as I turn OBS off my FPS pops up again.

When I go fullscreen however, I get no FPS loss, but then OBS blackscreens.

It doesn't matter if I use game capture or software capture, since as I mentioned above, I lose FPS by just opening OBS.

I've only encountered this issue in Minecraft so far.

Any idea what it could be?

Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work!
Ehlak, I am having the same problem currently. I used to stream at 200-300 fps in minecraft, but now I get under 60. Did you find a solution? If you did, I would be very grateful to know it. Thanks!

EliteFox

Im having the exact problem. I have a BEAST of a computer and when i open minecraft i like go from 1 frame to another its so laggy. Like before it worked as the best now its horrible i have tried to re download and keep changing my OBS settings to see if this works, i have no clue if someone has found a soluion but its been like 3 years since this has been posted! So!

Status
Not open for further replies.