Resource icon

All Versions Microphone cleanup with Adobe Audition and VAC

xiuide

xiuide submitted a new resource:

Microphone cleanup with Adobe Audition and VAC - Clean up microphone static/noise to produce a better sounding stream

Hello and welcome to a quick(ish) 5 step tutorial on how to clean up your staticky microphone for a better sounding stream. For this tutorial you will need a copy of both Adobe Audition and Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) installed onto your computer with default settings. I hope you find this tutorial useful, or at least insightful for your own methods!

Step 1) Setting up Adobe Audition.
first create a new multitrack session in AA using the...

Read more about this resource...

xiuide

Tried this and i love it! For some reason Audition isn't recognizing Line 1 anymore.
Ive never run into that problem myself, so unfortunately I won't be much help on that. Id recommend doing a clean install of VAC, and trying again, though.

Havent tried it yet but can u please make and video before and after noise cancellation?
Sorry I havent gotten that video up yet playboy, Ive been real busy with a new job. I'll try to find some time and get one working for you though!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
I also use audition for quite some time, and recently had time to make a video for my guide series:
Hope you guys like it :)

xiuide

I also use audition for quite some time, and recently had time to make a video for my guide series:
Hope you guys like it :)
awesome vid Jack, thanks for posting it here, and I had no idea that VB cable existed, awesome free alternative to VAC!

ShoMek

So...this is better but it still doesn't sound clean enough for me.
I made a post some time ago about this, on another thread;

Question: is there a program that directly controls the sound from your microphone to delete the static/background noise?
What I'd like to find is a direct and overall answer (i guess this also works with skype anyway), like the option from Windows/Realtek "Noise suppression". That kinda works, but it's not good enough, even though the background noise is 100% removed, your own voice suffers quality loss, it sounds like if you were inside a cave or something like that. It's not so bad, but it could be better.

So, after reading that there's no quality loss and no background noise when using Mumble even when you talk, is there something that directly deals with your microphone like that? It'd be nice (and a better solution?) to avoid having to send your sound to a 3rd party and then it being sent to skype/obs/whatever.

Cryonic

I have done this stuff with Ableton Live 8 (DAW), some plugins and external audio interface.
Was a lot of work, but like this you can get full control over your sound - 8-Band EQ, Limiter, Reverb & Chorus, Saturator and Compressor - what ever you want.
But this require a lot of expensive hardware and expensive software + it will take a lot of RAM and CPU (up to 10% on i7 4770K and up to 1GB RAM). This can be done with VAC, but i was using external hardware and ASIO driver to have a really low latency (5-7ms) - this will not mess up your sound.

There is freeware out there (DAW & Plugins) so anyone with 2 soundcards can actually do this and improve/change the mic sound if he has enough CPU power and RAM to run the additional software (or a second PC/laptop - that will do the job, specially if you are using the second one for streaming anyway).

If needed i can do the "extreme" version of a guide - how to edit your microphone sound live and do audio routing with hardware and software (VAC).

gtipsword

Can this be done with previous versions of Audition? I'm struggling with trying to figure out how to do it in Audition 3.

divadc

I get this bug, where Audition isn't able to keep up the noise-reduction but bugs out, and makes even more background noise than before. This happens when i stream, but mostly when I use Line 1 in both skype and OBS at the same time. Can this be the reason? Or if the CPU is overused?

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
High CPU usage can definitely be a problem. While the cpu usage itself from audition shouldnt be too high, as soon as its timing fails because of low resources for example, it could lead to the noise you describe.
System resources are unfortunately hard to monitor, you can mainly keep an eye on your cpu and ram usage etc :/

Rory Bourdon

I get this bug, where Audition isn't able to keep up the noise-reduction but bugs out, and makes even more background noise than before. This happens when i stream, but mostly when I use Line 1 in both skype and OBS at the same time. Can this be the reason? Or if the CPU is overused?

I do this same thing but I use ReaFir (free here http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/). It works really well and is easy to set up. I haven't had this problem so maybe you could try it instead of the built in one.

Ayalas

Everything worked fine, but there is a huge problem.
I year myself while I speak (because the I button).
And when I play the video recorded with the OBS, my voice is duplicated in the video. One for what it recorded from mic, and another with a litte latency from VAC.

Basically, If I press the 'I' button in the audition, the OBS captures the audio twice. If I don't press the 'I' button, the OBS don't record my mic audio, only the game.

I also tested with skype, and in the Skype, when I start a call, I dont hear myself, but with OBS I do.

I did every step.

----
Edit: I found a fix, I need to mute the Line 1 in my own PC, in the mixer.

Last edited:

dakidsyco

Is it possible to apply this to recorded footage or is that impossible? Cause I have a pretty meh comp and this makes it sound awesome but sometimes my cpu with the game, obs, and this dont get along lol.