Media Source won't play through monitors, but will still stream.

tbfconsult

Media Source (mp3) won't play through monitors (desktop speakers), even with setting to "monitor and output" in advanced audio settings. It plays and is recorded to stream, but nothing through the monitors. Sometimes it'll play a little bit, then cut out. All mics are on mute and all possible audio sources are disabled. I've seen other people post about similar issues with no conclusive or useful insight.

Log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/nT_XPROKFI3L1PM5

Bernd Uhlmann

OBS version 27.1.3 (64 bit, WIN 10 or older). Media Player using MP3 music file.

Typically, you will load an MP3 file to OBS as a “Media Source” and enable monitoring to a windows default output device. I understand that this uses the “ffmpeg” media player.

If the MP3 song has no cover image everything works fine as intended.

Any MP3 song with a cover image causes a set of issues:

The song starts normally and continues until anything interrupts normal flow such as:

• If the scene is briefly changed. After returning to the scene with the song, the song will no longer be monitored.
  • If the end of the song reached. Even if the song is supposed to loop, while it loops, it will no longer be monitored.
  • If you interfere with the source via the media control, i.e. by stopping the song or using the media slider in any way, the song will no longer be monitored.
If monitoring the song unintentionally ended it can be manually restarted via “Advanced Audio Setting”, stop monitor and start monitor again.

Strangely: monitoring a looping song containing a cover image will stop monitoring at the first loop but will restart by itself after one unmonitored loop.

Another related Problem with MP3 media:

Any MP3 song with a cover image will cause the above problems with monitoring. If you later replace the song with another song (via Source properties – select another local file without an image), then the old image stays on the scene. The new and different song works fine but now the old image is stuck with the Source on the scene until you remove the source altogether.

zardoz

Heya - did anyone figure out what the root cause of this was? I'm hitting this, too. OSB 27.2.4 (64bit Windows). I'm using a FLAC file. I can jump into the Advanced Audio Settings to turn off and turn on monitoring and that works, but behaviour returns if I swap into that scene again.