Make Steam Overlay Show

I can't find any information on this, except that it some posts say the Overlay may cause capturing issues etc.

But i want to know, is it possible to capture the game with Steam Overlay?
As i really like to record when i get Achievements, and currently Monitor Capture is the only way to do this, and it's not the greatest thing when it comes to gaming.

Krazy

Town drunk
Steam Overlay generally does not interfere with Game Capture. Window Capture can be used with all forms of overlays, I believe.

Can this be done?
The topic went a bit off, but i am still quite disturbed about this.

Monitor Capture takes (i think?) a lot more CPU then Game Capture.
Though luckily i am using Windows 8 which should be faster on this, but i guess it still is slower, or perhaps i am imagining it?

Anyhow, is there a way that i can make Steam Overlay show?

I am willing to play around in the source if it's not too hard, being my own guinea pig so to speak.

Much appreciation for any help.

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
You could try using the anti-cheat compatibility option in the game capture source properties window, but otherwise I don't think there's a way to reliably get both the game and the Steam overlay via game capture. Windowed/borderless windowed mode + window capture (with Aero enabled) or monitor capture (Windows 8 only) would also work.

Hmm, will have to try that.

When you say , reliably, how do you mean?
For example, Dxtory, which is pretty much the same (If you skip all the features that is Not injection and taking Game data), is able to take Steam Overlay and the Game without any issues.

I am currently using Monitor Capture, but i don't think it's quite optimal, as the Game itself is not run at it's best, giving Exclusive right to the GPU etc, give it a more efficient work output compared to using windowed mode.

Tried it, didn't work:(

There must be some way to make it happen, as other applications can.
Is there a way to just let the Capture have a lower priority than the Steam Overlay?

As said, i am willing to play around with source just to see if it can be done, just need any clue on what to play around with.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
There is a way, and it worked in an older version of OBS due to a different way of hooking, but that hooking method had several other problems as well. i think at this point, the OBS1 game capture is going to be more or less left alone, and in the OBS rewrite game capture will be written to hook games in a way that doesn't crush other active game hooks.

So, is there a way for me to, copy paste back that old one?
If it's not very complicated i may be able to do it. I was able to add the YV24 option, which was simply copy paste and some replace i think. (But that's about my limit sadly).

What was the problems though, did it crash, or was it simply, some games didn't capture?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I don't know quite how doable this is. I don't quite know how steam overlay works unfortunately, it seems to operate outside of known conventions.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Yeah, perhaps I just misremembered OBS being able to capture the Steam overlay.

Thing is, there are a lot of people who don't want to show the Steam overlay. If a solution to this was discovered, it would certainly need to be toggle-able.

I don't know quite how doable this is. I don't quite know how steam overlay works unfortunately, it seems to operate outside of known conventions.
Well that wasn't to nice to hear.
Thought it was easier, like waiting for hook, or lower priority of some sort.

But as Dxtory is able to do it without issue as far as i know, it should be feasible, sadly it's closed source, so there is no way of asking him about it.

Would be extremely nice to have i though, if you could look into it a bit, it would be appreciated.

Thing is, there are a lot of people who don't want to show the Steam overlay. If a solution to this was discovered, it would certainly need to be toggle-able

I know, and i agree. I would personally not want this to be Permanent, there are many times where you don't want the Overlay, especially private reasons.