M1 Mac native version of OBS? Is there a timeline for when this might be ready?

ill-esha

Just installed it, DEFINITELY works and loads light years faster... but... now the StreamDeck doesn't work (I had it working with 27.x betas)
Image quality seems crisper.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer

Talonis

Bitfocus Companion is great and is ARM64 compatible.

Stream Deck 5.3.1 caused me no end of problems and extra work, so I rolled back to the previous release and it's fine again.

ill-esha

Bitfocus Companion is great and is ARM64 compatible.

Stream Deck 5.3.1 caused me no end of problems and extra work, so I rolled back to the previous release and it's fine again.
You rolled back to the previous release of Stream Deck or of OBS? A beta build? Would LOVE to get my stream deck working with this version of OBS

Talonis

Stream Deck. OBS 27 is fine.

I’m not touching OBS 28 until the official release and updated plugins are available.

I’ve done my time at the bleeding edge. I’ll let others go bravely forward now. :-)

ill-esha

Stream Deck. OBS 27 is fine.

I’m not touching OBS 28 until the official release and updated plugins are available.

I’ve done my time at the bleeding edge. I’ll let others go bravely forward now. :-)
I wish it was fine for me, it seems normal but when you have to pull in multiple sources where OBS is rendering video, it really starts to suffer in embarrassing ways. If it's just a single cam and a screen capture, it makes no difference for sure.

Edit: If anyone might find this useful: I have ARM build 27.2.0-747-g731c6f991 working with Stream Deck 5.3.1

Last edited:

Talonis

I stripped my resources right back, both in OBS 27 Intel and on the Mac in general (NDI stripped out completely from the system etc.). Doing so means I can stream 1440p50 with my MBA M1 set up.

The ARM64 version will make things even better when it’s officially out but it will also depend on the relevant plugins also being available - which is key for some of my stuff.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
yes, i know that, but i actually had a version of the StreamDeck plugin working with one of the most recent 27.x beta ARM builds, so it's puzzling to me that it is not working with this one
I don't think it could have been an official version of the Stream Deck plugin, since Elgato has not yet released an M1/ARM compatible build. We are aware of some unofficial builds floating around, but nothing from official sources yet.

I stripped my resources right back, both in OBS 27 Intel and on the Mac in general (NDI stripped out completely from the system etc.). Doing so means I can stream 1440p50 with my MBA M1 set up.

The ARM64 version will make things even better when it’s officially out but it will also depend on the relevant plugins also being available - which is key for some of my stuff.
While we cannot control when plugin maintainers/developers will release updated versions, we have seen multiple plugin maintainers preparing support for OBS Studio 28. If you are concerned about a plugin that you rely on, I recommend reaching out to that plugin's author/maintainer.

Talonis

Thanks for the reply.

I effectively only use three plugins with OBS:

• StreamFX
  • Stream Deck
  • Waveform

– That's it.

1) I can live without Stream FX, 2) I will simply shift away from Elgato's software and just use Bitfocus Companion which is already M1 native, 3) as is Waveform.

So good either way – and on reflection not that "key" I suppose. :-=) Though StreamFX would be a "nice to have".

Overall the most important thing is the speed and CPU saving from M1 native code.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
I effectively only use three plugins with OBS:
  • StreamFX
  • Stream Deck
  • Waveform
StreamFX appears to be in the process of updating to be compatible with OBS Studio 28, which will hopefully include Apple Silicon support, but I have no direct knowledge of the plans there. The maintainer has stated that they do not support beta releases of OBS, so you will have to wait to see if/when they release new versions after OBS Studio 28 has a stable release.

Elgato has already announced "more details soon" about compatibility with OBS Studio 28. See: https://twitter.com/LtRoyalShrimp/status/1554668226872717313

You say Waveform is already Apple Silicon compatible, and I don't believe it is affected by our move to Qt 6, so that's covered.

Hope that helps!