M1 Mac native version of OBS? Is there a timeline for when this might be ready?

chrisspiegl

I just tried to install NDI Source (and the NDI Runtime) and after restarting the Mac, it did not show up in the OBS sources when trying to add.

So it looks like it is not supported at this stage. However, it could also be that it has something todo with the OBS-NDI Plugin or the NDI Runtime package.

hcschmitt

Hi all, there are currently multiple ways to getting OBS Studio running on the Apple Silicone macs.

The best I found just now is to simply download one of the working builds from the Official GitHub Repository.

It works, uses way less CPU than the Rosetta version and it even includes Browser Source support at this point.

The best part: You can just download it and do not have to build the project manually.

You can find a description about how to get the download and make it work here:

This is terrific! Is there a 27.2beta build or should I just be patient until the release?

RobertSativa

I am a cam model and must tell how disappointed I am having a MacBook Air on M1 and unable to use full power of that. Both with Rosetta or for M1 ver 27.1.3 works with problems. After 30 min or 1 hour it loosing a connection and trying to reconnect again. That give lags with my stream :( Want to buy new Macbook Pro '16 M-pro but what is the point if this app will still works with errors?

wookayin

Although there yet doesn't appear to be a test build available in github, I was able to build a M1 native binary on my own after checking out the branch.

Update: Actually you can find the artifacts (.dmg installer for arm64) built from any successful CI runs in https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/actions/workflows/main.yml?query=branch:universal-build --- see the "Artifacts" tab. These test builds also work perfectly for me, out-of-box after downloading.

Raditude

shiggitay

Could one of you please post a link to the build you're referring to? I can't find it. All I see is v27.1.3 and not the latest 27.2.2 that the macOS x86_64 build is at. If that's the artifact build for M1 y'all are talking about, then that's cool but I'd rather run the latest version for all the latest features, stability, etc. @wookayin could you also post how you ended up building for Apple Silicon? I've done it in the past but I forget the steps lol. Please and thank you.

Last edited:

shiggitay

(pseudo)EDIT: I ended up finding this on OBS' site.... I'll try it but I'd want browser source support etc, so @wookayin if your build has working browser source capabilities please let me know how you built it.

EDIT 2: it dies when trying to link the CEF binary (of which I know makes the browser source functionality... function..)...made for x86_64 when it knows that I'm building for ARM64: https://pastebin.com/J6BQczaT

What the heck is going on there? lol

Last edited:

shiggitay

aaannd EDIT 3: @wookayin sorry for the @ again but I finally found out how to DL the auto build of 27.2.0 for ARM64, but it doesn't have the Twitch integration API baked in.... I'd prefer to have that working because that's why I would use StreamLabs Desktop (formerly StreamLabs OBS) instead. I like OBS Studio, and with the Twitch integration API available to me I could basically (other than the alerts) replicate what StreamLabs Desktop does with the in-OBS chat etc.

shiggitay

They just merged this PR into master

so hopefully that means an official M1 release soon.

I built from git on my M1 Pro MacBook Pro 14" earlier today and it works super well, though I won't use it until the final release... When you compile it yourself the Twitch and YouTube integration APIs aren't included....and that's important to some, like me. It should only be a matter of days/weeks now... We're so close!

Raditude

Just ran into an issue where the OBS Move Transition plugin no workie after switching from Intel to ARM. I'm reverting back for now.

Talonis

So from reading elsewhere (Reddit, Dodgepong) the OBS devs indicated last month that the M1 version will be released with version 28 of OBS (not on the 27.x point releases) and that is expected to be "later this year", so don't anticipate it any time soon.

I will revise my own expectations (and timetables) to go with possibly: October 2022 :-)

shiggitay

So far everything seems to be working the same as the complied version from the other thread but I can officially sign into Twitch chat! Doing a test stream later - hopefully as stable.
I was able to stream for more than two hours the other day with no problems whatsoever... It's quite amazing that it only uses 20% max of my M1 Mac mini's CPU whilst streaming. I'm thoroughly impressed with that.