M1 Mac native version of OBS? Is there a timeline for when this might be ready?

JohnBBeta

Any word on the mighty OBS crew working on a completely native M1 version of OBS & any news of how it's going if so? Presumably its a huge job - just wondering if it's even on the cards - and if so how long are we talking till its ready?

I'm currently pushing my current streaming mac (maxed out 2019 MBP) to the absolute max so am starting to think is it time to jump ship to PC now - M1s look great but not keen on running OBS through whatever it does to make it work at the mo...

Anyway just wondering if any of the devs could shed any light? thanks!

JohnBBeta

The current version of OBS works fine on my Macbook Pro M1.
Yep am aware it works 'ok' - but it runs though rosetta 2 in the background rather than native M1 which probably isnt a good idea for my particular use-case which is why I'm asking about timescales so I can decide on hardware upgrade path.

swelleye

OBS doesn't work great, or even okay, on my M1 MacBook Air (16 GB ram). I use OBS for recording outdoor live streams, but the streams are very unstable and choppy. I've used the exact same OBS settings as I used on my old 2015 MacBook Air, which under the same internet still gets flawless streams in OBS.

So, long story short, if I want to record any streams, I have to use my 2015 MacBook Air, as the OBS streams on my M1 just aren't stable. I've searched OBS and the internet high and low and still can't find a resolution.

Koen Willems

Yep am aware it works 'ok' - but it runs though rosetta 2 in the background rather than native M1 which probably isnt a good idea for my particular use-case which is why I'm asking about timescales so I can decide on hardware upgrade path.

Well, in my case OBS runs smooth and stable on an Macbook Pro M1 16Gb. I'm sure it might even run better when we ha a native M1 version. In comparison: On my iMac 27 i7 40 Gb mid 2017 the fans are blowing like crazy while running OBS. On the Macbook Pro M1 16 Gb OBS runs with the fans hardly on.
What I'm curious about, what's so special on your use case that makes you think it won't work?
The behaviour on the Macbook Air doesn't supprise. As we know the M1 on the Macbook Air is throttling down performance by it's lack of coolers. So for the Macbook Air the build of a native OBS M1 version might possibly help.
You want to decide on your upgrade path? To my opinion: always get the newest version of the Mac you can affort.

Last edited:

JohnBBeta

Well, in my case OBS runs smooth and stable on an Macbook Pro M1 16Gb. I'm sure it might even run better when we ha a native M1 version. In comparison: On my iMac 27 i7 40 Gb mid 2017 the fans are blowing like crazy while running OBS. On the Macbook Pro M1 16 Gb OBS runs with the fans hardly on.
What I'm curious about, what's so special on your use case that makes you think it won't work?
The behaviour on the Macbook Air doesn't supprise. As we know the M1 on the Macbook Air is throttling down performance by it's lack of coolers. So for the Macbook Air the build of a native OBS M1 version might possibly help.
You want to decide on your upgrade path? To my opinion: always get the newest version of the Mac you can affort.

I'm running the highest possible spec 13" Macbook Pro available bought June 2020.
Some of my streams have around 40 Scenes, some over 50. each scene has usually 2 media sources (video) and 1-2 webcams. Plus browser overlay for streamlabs alerts & a few other bits & bobs.
USB Audio interface. 3 webcams. etc etc

Getting the newest version of a Mac you can afford is usually good advice but not when its a new type of chip that the main program you a running on the computer (OBS) isn't coded to run natively on it (M1).

if I can get hold of a decent 3070 think I'll just build a custom PC - but will be waiting to see if a new mac mini with M2 or similar is announced at WWDC in June I guess. Will be amazing when OBS can run natively on Mac silicon but I'm not risking rosetta emulation with the amount of shizzz in my setups.

There will be no official release for a while.
We'll have to use a custom build.

ex.
download password sq753tzb

However...
- need to uncheck "Enable Browser Source Hardware Acceleration".
- browser source and audio monitoring cannot be used at the same time.
- VST plugins for x86_64 not work.(arm64/Universal2 VST only)

Heino Falcke

Interesting. I had/have perfomance issues on our M1 mini (not being able to get even 25fps HD out with multiview on and a few sources) and indeed this version has a much lower CPU load and easily gets the stream out. Of course, now I am missing the Advanced Scene Switcher and the NDI tools. I got them working on v27 on our M1. Do they fall under VST plugins fo x86_64? Could they in principle be complied for M1 as well or is there a fundamental problem?

all plugins need to be compiled for arm64 support.
There are people who have published plugins compiled for arm64.

In the case of NDI, not only the plugin but also the Library needs to be updated to the arm64-compatible NDI Library (libndi.4.dylib).
example, you can check if your libndi.4.dylib is arm64 compatible.

% lipo -info /usr/local/lib/libndi.4.dylib
Architectures in the fat file: /usr/local/lib/libndi.4.dylib are: x86_64 arm64

JohnBBeta

Good luck with the progress on the M1 build guys! I've had to move to PC now for the time being but if you can harness the mighty power of the M1 I'll be excited to try it out again when ready! Thanks. Respect.

lordw

I hope this helps you to someone, it's a bunch of scripts for compiling OBS natively.

However, still no browser support :( Plugins like iOS Camera or NDI work properly after compiling them. The performance boost is spectacular, with Rosetta 2 I was getting worse results than in a 2012 i5 so no, it doesn't work fine. Can't wait to get an official build from OBS team... it would be wonderful if someone could inform us about the current progress, I can't find anything on OBS's github repository.

r3dd3vil

I hope this helps you to someone, it's a bunch of scripts for compiling OBS natively.

However, still no browser support :( Plugins like iOS Camera or NDI work properly after compiling them. The performance boost is spectacular, with Rosetta 2 I was getting worse results than in a 2012 i5 so no, it doesn't work fine. Can't wait to get an official build from OBS team... it would be wonderful if someone could inform us about the current progress, I can't find anything on OBS's github repository.
hello! How can i compile ndi??

I concur. I think they're only waiting for Google CEF Browser support stuff to be ARM64 compile-able, but I think we're getting close.
Hasn't it been possible to compile Chromium CEF for m1 since M93 back in July according to this comment?
https://bitbucket.org/chromiumembedded/cef/issues/2981/macos-support-on-arm64#comment-60927924

I might be missing something as I'm not the most experienced with this sort of thing, but shouldn't you be able to compile your own build of OBS using your own compiled build of CEF? I haven't seen anyone else bring it up and I'm really feeling the sting of rosetta performance.

BlueberryChopstix

@JohnBBeta Hey John

I just looked at the example video someone posted above of your channel. It is both one of the most creative things I've ever seen along with one where I'm not sure what your intent actually was.

Are you genuinely excited about the lighthouse map?

Are you making some kind of parody to attract fellow fans of the game?

I genuinely mean no offense and am just curious as to your answer. Bravo on your creations and I hope you've found some great answers that help you with your M1 recording situation.

edit: I created an account on this forum solely to ask this question; hence the new account.

chrisspiegl

Hi all, there are currently multiple ways to getting OBS Studio running on the Apple Silicone macs.

The best I found just now is to simply download one of the working builds from the Official GitHub Repository.

It works, uses way less CPU than the Rosetta version and it even includes Browser Source support at this point.

The best part: You can just download it and do not have to build the project manually.

You can find a description about how to get the download and make it work here:

AmurgEtern

Hi all, there are currently multiple ways to getting OBS Studio running on the Apple Silicone macs.

The best I found just now is to simply download one of the working builds from the Official GitHub Repository.

It works, uses way less CPU than the Rosetta version and it even includes Browser Source support at this point.

The best part: You can just download it and do not have to build the project manually.

You can find a description about how to get the download and make it work here:

Does it support NDI sources?