Bug Report Low FPS in OBS? Frames missed due to rendering lag? GPU problems? Look here.

malone76

Alright ladies and gents... While I didn't eliminate this completely, I did considerably reduce my issues. First my setup:
i5 4690k OC'd to 4.0ghz
16gig mem
nVidia GTX 950

I've been playing Elite Dangerous for a while now and noticed over the last few months this issue that everyone is reporting. On average I was losing anywhere from 15-25% of my frames due to rendering lag. I tried capping framerate etc and was still experiencing like everyone else. Then I remembered and old trick for my dj laptops. I did it on my rig and now on average I'm only losing 2% frames.... like I said not completely eliminated but I'm much happier with performance. Which brings me to the fix...

Open Windows 10 settigns and in the top in the "Find a setting" box, type in environment variables and choose "edit the system environment variables" Don't worry, we're not doing that. But it's the only quick way I could think of to get to this settings tab. Once it opens the old familiar system properties box on the advanced tab at the top is performance. Click settings, and select "adjust for best performance". Apply & OK out of everything.

Edit: Also, I went in and disabled all of windows game DVR/streaming/broadcast/background recording stuff.

Hope it works for you guys.

Screenshot of my much happier results: http://prntscr.com/k6amoq

Edit Edit:
This should also work for Win 7, Win 8, etc. The Advanced tab on System Properties is where you can change the performance.

Last edited:

Zap

Alright ladies and gents... While I didn't eliminate this completely, I did considerably reduce my issues. First my setup:
i5 4690k OC'd to 4.0ghz
16gig mem
nVidia GTX 950

I've been playing Elite Dangerous for a while now and noticed over the last few months this issue that everyone is reporting. On average I was losing anywhere from 15-25% of my frames due to rendering lag. I tried capping framerate etc and was still experiencing like everyone else. Then I remembered and old trick for my dj laptops. I did it on my rig and now on average I'm only losing 2% frames.... like I said not completely eliminated but I'm much happier with performance. Which brings me to the fix...

Open Windows 10 settigns and in the top in the "Find a setting" box, type in environment variables and choose "edit the system environment variables" Don't worry, we're not doing that. But it's the only quick way I could think of to get to this settings tab. Once it opens the old familiar system properties box on the advanced tab at the top is performance. Click settings, and select "adjust for best performance". Apply & OK out of everything.

Edit: Also, I went in and disabled all of windows game DVR/streaming/broadcast/background recording stuff.

Edit Edit:
This should also work for Win 7, Win 8, etc. The Advanced tab on System Properties is where you can change the performance.

Capping your FPS is a "fix" for this issue because you're leaving GPU headroom that OBS needs on Windows 10. The fact you seen no difference means you were capping it only a few fps lower than what you were playing at (and still using 95%+ of your GPU for the game) or you weren't having the same issue. Probably the latter.

Also this issue is non existent on Windows 7. Also the thing you stated is very well known. Sorry but this isn't even close to a fix.

malone76

Capping your FPS is a "fix" for this issue because you're leaving GPU headroom that OBS needs on Windows 10. The fact you seen no difference means you were capping it only a few fps lower than what you were playing at (and still using 95%+ of your GPU for the game) or you weren't having the same issue. Probably the latter.

Also this issue is non existent on Windows 7. Also the thing you stated is very well known. Sorry but this isn't even close to a fix.
Could you tell me anywhere in my post where I capped my fps? Cause I didn't. But thanks for reading the word frames in the post and assuming. Also, i didn't say it was an issue in Win 7, I said the adjustments I made were also available in win 7.

Also, I did see a difference, as I said in my post. I went from 15-25% on average missed frames due to render lag down to about 2%.

Perhaps next time reading the entire post might be more helpful for you.

TheChill

Win 10, latest updates/drivers et al. I get persistent and constant stuttering even when not recording or streaming - visible on the preview. OBS is a no-go for me these days because the stutter is so severe that a 60 FPS capture is worse than a 30 FPS capture in, say, GeForce Experience. A 30 FPS capture is just horrendous.

FWIW I'm running dual panels, gaming on GSync.

I can only imagine that Windows 10 is the culprit and there are no solutions. (Running the second panel at half the primary refresh rate, for instance, makes absolutely no difference.)

Dameworth

I think I have found a fix!

Make sure your Game Mode is off on Windows 10 Game Bar, I was having issues streaming getting frame drops heavily, the second I turned off Game Mode I was getting steady frames and not dropping any thing through OBS!

I think I have found a fix!

Make sure your Game Mode is off on Windows 10 Game Bar, I was having issues streaming getting frame drops heavily, the second I turned off Game Mode I was getting steady frames and not dropping any thing through OBS!

This is NOT a permanent fix mind you as you still need to reduce GPU loads depending on the game you're playing.

Reactions: Zap

Zap

Could you tell me anywhere in my post where I capped my fps? Cause I didn't. But thanks for reading the word frames in the post and assuming. Also, i didn't say it was an issue in Win 7, I said the adjustments I made were also available in win 7.

Also, I did see a difference, as I said in my post. I went from 15-25% on average missed frames due to render lag down to about 2%.

Perhaps next time reading the entire post might be more helpful for you.
Could you tell me anywhere in my post where I capped my fps? Cause I didn't. But thanks for reading the word frames in the post and assuming.

Here you go:
I tried capping framerate etc and was still experiencing like everyone else.

Also, i didn't say it was an issue in Win 7, I said the adjustments I made were also available in win 7.

Here you go:
Edit Edit:
This should also work for Win 7, Win 8, etc.

Stop trying to be smart when you don't even understand the issue, or apparently even English. I was saying capping your FPS is a "fix" for this issue, and you said capping your FPS didn't fix it, so clearly you're not even having the same issue idiot.

Zap

I guess it’s not permanent in some use cases, but it’s definitely a fix that works in some people’s cases.

The issue you have stated it totally unrelated to ours. There's many, many threads that will tell you to do this. This is a much more specific issue that still isn't being acknowledged and has made OBS pretty much unusable for people without 2 PCs or people who need high FPS in games.

BK-Morpheus

You can ask Microsoft to prioritize GPU load from OBS over GPU load from games, or use a reasonable fps limit, otherwise, you will get rendering lag (or if you're lucky, in some cases just the reduced ingame frame rate, when hitting the GPU bottleneck).
The jumping frame times, that come with uncapped running games, is even worth than a game that runs capped at 144fps (for example) with consistent frame times.

Darkandroid86

Ok so I see you guys are having a similar issue to me now I'm running 2 Pc's a dedicated for streaming and a gaming one I drop between 5-10% fps my streaming PC is an i7 7700k 8gb Ddr4 Ram I use an Elgato Capture card. I think the problem maybe I don't have GPU in my streaming PC but unsure if that is the problem.

carlmmii

Separate problem, please create a new thread and include a log with a recent stream or recording attempt.

Santiwwwwww

i5 4690k OC'd to 4.0ghz
16gig mem
nVidia GTX 950

Edit Edit:

That really helped a lot. Thanks. But you can reach that settigns easier: write system in Windows search, open it, then click additional settings (or something like that, my Win is on russian lang) and then performance settings

TheChill

So I just threw a ROG Swift next to my Predator X34 and tried OBS again to see if 2x GSync panels improve anything and..!

They don't. I'm still getting horrendous stutter/pacing in OBS whether streaming, recording or just idling on the preview. GeForce Experience is smooth as butter, but OBS just isn't playing ball. No matter the settings, it's impossible to get a smooth experience from OBS on Windows 10.

Have the devs offered any feedback?

Santiwwwwww

So I just threw a ROG Swift next to my Predator X34 and tried OBS again to see if 2x GSync panels improve anything and..!

They don't. I'm still getting horrendous stutter/pacing in OBS whether streaming, recording or just idling on the preview. GeForce Experience is smooth as butter, but OBS just isn't playing ball. No matter the settings, it's impossible to get a smooth experience from OBS on Windows 10.

Have the devs offered any feedback?
the same with AMD Freesync, so just disable

Enigma37

I think im experiencing the same issue however I capped fps at 30 ingame (playing ARK) which makes the game not run smooth ethier and stream still lags. Ive attached my log file aas hoping someone could tell me if its likely the ssme issue or something else.

Attachments

• 2018-10-24 19-20-47.txt
    17 KB · Views: 36
I think im experiencing the same issue however I capped fps at 30 ingame (playing ARK) which makes the game not run smooth ethier and stream still lags. Ive attached my log file aas hoping someone could tell me if its likely the ssme issue or something else.
750ti is your issue and output at 1080p that game is hard to run never mind record

ohgeegeo

After searching and reading countless forum posts and not finding a solution to alleviate this problem, besides the magical "Cap your FPS" solution everyone seems to be cool with. I made a forum profile on here just to write this message to show support to Zap, who I've seen in many different threads, preaching that capping the fps is not a good solution and that a solution to the whole "post-creators Windows 10 update" not jiving well with OBS is what we should be going after.

It looks like I'm going to be doing a fresh Windows 7 install as well, until hopefully someone smarter than me can figure out what's causing the REAL problem with OBS+Win10.

I would like to echo this. I have a Threadripper 1950x and a 1080ti and I have to CAP FORTNITE FPS in order to stream. This is a workaround, but it is certainly not a solution.

In fact I can add that the fps drops in OBS (and xsplit) as soon as I am in the game EVEN IF I'M NOT STREAMING. I have the CPU tasked with encoding anyway, but this issue is reproducible even when encoding is not being done.

Hope we can find a real solution so I can stop gimping my gameplay experience in order to stream.