Question / Help Logitech C920 60FPS?

mmorabe

So I noticed the other day that my old Lifecam 3000 HD was super smooth, almost 60 fps (IDK how), but my Logitech c920 is still pretty meh FPS wise. Is there some trick to get the webcam to be 30 or 60 fps constant?

FerretBomb

The old lifecam's max framerate is 30fps.

As far as the c920, set it to i420 mode in the source setup at 30fps, run it as a Global Source, and use the windows device manager's 'view by connection' to re-locate it to a USB controller where it is the ONLY device on the chain, so it has the maximum bandwidth available.
Also, do NOT plug it into a USB 3.0 port; it is NOT a 3.0 device (listed as 'compatible' because USB 2.0 is forward compatible with 3.0) and plugging it into a USB 3.0 port can actually CAUSE problems (many reports of video corruption and other issues).

mmorabe

I'll try that when I get home. I have both our webcams set to my streaming computer. Could that cause issues?

Also, I was having issues with it having a black screen when plugged into 2.0 =/

FerretBomb

If they're on the same USB controller, they'll be fighting for bandwidth on the bus. The blackscreen issue sounds separate.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
If you aren't streaming the webcam in fullscreen 1080p, make sure that the camera isn't set to 1080p in the camera source, which can cause problems, too.

FerretBomb

Dodgepong, I'm curious about this; do you mean bandwidth issues, or..?
I've found that if using a 1080p base resolution, running the c920 in 1080p mode and letting the Lanczos downscale do its thing results in better picture clarity than running at 720p, stretching it larger, then downscaling again, if you use a fullscreen-cam at all.
And setting it as a global source doesn't allow it to be run at different resolutions in different scenes, so... kind of stuck re-sizing it down from 1080p to fit any scene in which it's used.

On a side-note, does anyone know if the chromakey is done before or after any re-scaling? Does the rescale preserve the alpha layer in an anti-aliased manner? Seems like it may not, with how pixellated the edges get.

FerretBomb

Then set it into I420 mode, select a lower resolution from the source properties (uses lower bandwidth = less choke = more consistent framerate) and ensure that the FPS dropdown is set to 30.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
For whatever reason, even on moderately-powered computers, streaming the C920 in 1080p causes performance and stuttering issues, and lowering the C920 output to below 1080p fixes it for a lot of people. If you don't need the resolution to be 1080p, I don't recommend setting it to 1080p.

dacoder

Just a question: how can you tell the camera is putting out 60fps? (I am doing this at 960x720) I have the same camera, and its plugged into a usb 2.0 port. But it still looks like 30 fps to me. And the main issue is my exposure is waaaay to high, since the room i am in is badly lit. Any sort of resource to tell me what FPS the camera is outputting to OBS?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I have a C920 and I've never seen 60fps listed in it. I'm pretty sure it doesn't support it. I've actually never seen a webcam that supports 60fps, though there may be some out there for all I know

Thorh13

C910 Supports 60fps at 640x480, 640x360, 320x240,
68e93dde3ca888cbe1b0adb34166715e.png

and anything higher than 1280x720 is 15fps or lower. [Excluding 1920x1080 (It Seems to be zoomed in aswell)]

I was looking at the c920 (Roommates webcam) and the 60fps feature has been removed. :(

But I'noticed if you disable the "RightLight" feature I was able to see a better framerate, but I had to put extra lighting in my room at night
883eff1517872680b335578bf6fabe16.png

I hope this was helpful

Last edited: