Local Streaming!

baydogg

Hi all,

I would really like to see local streaming like Xsplit has(Stream from XSplit to XSplit). This feature is really good when you want to show not only your stream but your partners/housemate/friends stream (from the network off course).

I was using XSplit but the lag that the software has inst the best. Hence the move to OBS. All I would like too see is an "Add Livestream" feature like what XSplit has.

Does anyone know if there is a workaround or if OBS does do it and I have missed it??

Maybe a Plugin.

Here is a link on XSplits local streaming:
http://blog.hemp-society.de/2012/10/how ... aming.html

Thanks,
Baydogg

Krazy

Town drunk
Yes, but not really an easy one. It involves setting up your own local RTMP server, which isn't a trivial task.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I actually already have the code to act as a local RTMP server if that's what you're meaning. I can put it in at some point if you want, but it's not "OBS to OBS", it's just a mode that is essentially a local RTMP server

Muf

Forum Moderator
Using RTMP for local streaming sounds like a really bad idea in the first place. For this kind of purpose, where bandwidth is abundant, packet loss unlikely and latency needs to be kept to a minimum, something built on top of UDP like RTP would be a better fit. I'm sure there are more free and open source implementations of such protocols anyway, with RTMP being a fairly closed protocol by Adobe.

bilhamil

Developer
To put in my 2 cents, local streaming would be a really awesome feature supporting OBS Remote, if we could have a fairly low latency preview in the remote instead of having to rely on whichever streaming service.

Of course previewing the actual stream is useful too.

Boildown

Muf said:
For this kind of purpose, where bandwidth is abundant, packet loss unlikely and latency needs to be kept to a minimum, something built on top of UDP like RTP would be a better fit.

Just like to point out that home networks are probably the only place where hubs still exist. And they've also got a lot of wireless usage. Either one of which results in collisions and dropped packets. So I don't think you can assume that packet loss is unlikely.

Bensam123

Doomsayers aren't needed. This has worked for me in my early exploits of lan encoding (or encoding over lan).

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=329

I had to use Adobe Media Server to do this though and there aren't really other options besides using a media server as a relay. It's great Jim already has a working version of a RTMP server, that's part of the way there.

Yeshar

Jim said:
I actually already have the code to act as a local RTMP server if that's what you're meaning. I can put it in at some point if you want, but it's not "OBS to OBS", it's just a mode that is essentially a local RTMP server

Hi Jim! Thanks for the software; was wondering if you might be including this anytime soon? I'm trying to figure out how to run an rtmp server in linux to get things going (using this link as a guide: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2651&start=0 ) and it looks really over my head :(

If you can include the the stuff in the next test build (since it's already written?) I'm sure many of us would be greatly appreciative!

Thanks!

Nekuikos

I have been googling RTMP all night... tried dl'ing rtpmdump, srv and suck and doing something with vlc.
Explored red5, mediaportal, xbmc as potentiel rtmp players, but a server seems nessesary.

Found some of the threads here, this one, the nginx solution was on a few other sites aswell...
Kai22's rtmplite: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2427&p=13831.

The annoying bit is...
I don't really want or need a server, just want to stream game recordings directly too a videoplayer on a different computer (over the internet) with as little latency as possible. I don't even need to broadcast it to multible computers.
... Just point2point.

I should gone to bed 10 hours ago, but after realizing that there wasn't a simple solution i just had to register.
Thanks for being brilliant!
Thanks for OBS... and if a sorta-built-in local RTMP server gets me closer to a solution, then it definately gets my vote.

Bensam123

Yeah, there really isn't a easy way to do this yet... I've been using adobe media server for it and xsplit, but that's paid and it's not a pass through.

Yeshar

Nekuikos,

So far what I've done is connect OBS to Adobe Media Server Starter (www.adobe.com/go/tryadobemediaserver/ )

It's free. And use this guide here: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flashmedias ... -8000.html and instead of using Adobe Media Encoder, I'm using OBS but the settings are the same (FMS URL, stream name, etc)

BUT even with the tune=zerolatency advanced option, i'm getting pretty bad delays (3+ seconds, gigabit lan)

I'm trying to research two issues:

1) How do i decrease the latency (testing with the built in adobe test html in the above guide)
2) How do I get the RTMP stream into XBMC.

If you figure these things out, let me know!

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
so far, with all my testing, using xsplits local streaming feature, using red5/nginx, tuning the preset settings etc.
getting below 3 seconds seems impossible.

Alen.c

Don't want to create a new topic for this so excuse me for bumping this up.

I love the OBS project. The software great. It's like ten times better than any other software i can find around the net.
My only suggestion would be local streaming. The reason why i suggest this is because there is no software that can stream locally within the same LAN pc to pc. And it would be really nice to see such feature in OSB. I downloaded the source and checked it out. If i knew more about C then i would implant this feature myself. But i really don't know anything about C.

Anyways, i do really hope to see a feature like local streaming in the near future.

Thanks for reading.

Kodama

Will be doable at some point.

I hope very soon, I love the idea of being able to local stream from one pc to another pc, and then adding that stream to MY stream that is being put on a streaming service like twitch. as mentioned previously xsplit has this functionality, but as we all know it isnt free and it does infact have some harsh lag from time to time.

I have long wanted to be able to have my gf stream to my pc and then splitscreen us into one stream to twitch.tv or hitbox.tv when we play games together. To see this actually happen would be FANTASTIC